Reload this Page >

Safe, fun places for H.S. spring break?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 03:17 AM
Kate

Message: My daughter and her friends are looking for a senior spring break spot for next year - first week of April. They want lots of people their age, with lots of things to do, and clubs they can go to (they'll be 17 & 18). <BR><BR>We parents want for them, all of the above, but somewhere where alcohol is not the common denominator for all the fun. <BR><BR>Any suggestions? <BR>Would you suggest all-inclusive for this age?<BR>(parents will be in attendance but probably not at the same hotel)<BR><BR>Looking forward to a variety of responses. THANKS!

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 04:36 AM
Sue

Drinking age requirements are VERY lax in the Caribbean and if you are staying at 2 different resorts..well you get the picture. Why not pick a resort in the USA as the drinking age law may be better enforced.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 07:00 AM
frank

That's good - go all inclusive which is the least restrictive and booze flows freely. jeeze! And I am sure you'll find lots of places that have alcohol-free clubs. Alcohol IS the common demonimator at them and at all inclusives. and you'll stay at another resort? what are you thinking?

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 07:19 AM
Mr. Safety

I agree that Mexico or the Carribbean are very lax on drinking requirements. So if the kids want to drink it will be no problem.<BR><BR>If control is very important, then chaporoening the trip may be required.<BR><BR>One island that I've been to that definitely does not lend itself to partying by young kids is Grand Caymen Island. It is also my favorite island due to the beautiful beach and water, cleand and safe atmosphere, and several things to do (most notably, swimming with sting rays at Sting Ray City).<BR><BR>Good luck - I'm glad my kids are 5 and under at this point!

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 09:24 AM
xxxx

Spring break for High Schoolers??? Parents there but in another hotel???<BR>Seems like it is a family vacation, and if it is a family vacation I never heard of staying in different hotels!!! 17 & 18 year olds are NOT adults. They should have adults in the SAME hotel. IMHO

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 10:51 AM
xxx

I agree with the others. High schoolers getting ahold of alcohol in Mex. and the Carib. is as easy (if not easier in some places) as getting a good 'ol glass of water.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 12:44 PM
kate

okay, so now that I have everyone thinking that I'm a lousy parent, I'll try to rephrase...<BR><BR>We have just returned from a week at Ft. Lauderdale/Daytona and had a wonderful time...girls in same hotel but with their own group room... midnight curfew and other rules were met by all. This was our stepping stone to the next level of freedom prior to the complete freedom in college.<BR><BR>I hear your voices that we should stay at same resort and will seriously consider this since I don't know how close in proximity our lodging will be; but I'm still looking for a place (doesn't have to be the Carribean) outside of the U.S. where our girls can have fun but the focus is not on alcohol... they need clubs, music, water, boys, and decent food and they will be happy. <BR><BR>

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 12:47 PM
kate

Hey, Frankly... I've never done an all-inclusive, so I have no idea what it includes... many include water sports and that may give us a break on price.... I really do appreciate all suggestions/opinions, but judgement could be withheld...thanks

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 12:56 PM
mary

There are lots of all-inclusives that have kids activities, and I would think some that include teenager activities. Just not sure which ones. <BR><BR>Don't get the wrong picture. Most all-inclusives are not hedonistic resorts where the booze is flowing non-stop and everyone's taking part. Some are, but most are not. And those that are more than likely have a 18 or 21 age requirement. <BR><BR>I would definitely stay at the same resort because booze is easily accessible, especially if you will be responsible for your kid's friends. But don't be scared away by all-inclusives. I would just check for those that offer activities for a teenager level. Even if you don't do an all-inclusive I would stay at the same resort. Even off the resort, booze is accessible.<BR><BR>Don't mean to sound preachy, but you did ask for advice. And that's my two-cents worth.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Gail

All-inclusive means just that ALL drinks whether it be at the beach, pool restaurants or clubs..the kids go wild! The only water sports usually included are non-motorized water sports..ie snorkle gear, peddle boat, etc. Most of the kids get so intoxicated they ruin vacation for others.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 01:17 PM
xxx

I've been to many all inclusives and have never ever seen one drunk kid let alone lots of 'em. With kids, all-inclusive is the way to go. They can eat whenever they want without worrying who or how the bill's going to get paid. Lots of organized activities to keep them busy too. There are lots of non-alcoholic tropical drinks for them also which they love.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 01:21 PM
mary

I absolutely love all-inclusives. I've done both and wouldn't do it any other way, especially with kids. I too have to disagree with Gail. I suppose during Spring Break you may get a lot of college drunks, so pick a place that isn't popular with that kind of crowd.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 02:21 PM
T.J. in NC

Kate, stick to Florida. I've seen and done it all in my 24 years, and you're asking for trouble in any Caribbean destination that offers "clubs, music, water, boys, and decent food." The common elements that link those items are ALCOHOL & DRUGS. If you must go outside the country, I suggest you select a very isolated spot, like an out island of the Bahamas, where there's less temptation. If you need more evidence, watch E! or MTV for half an hour (but have your defibrillator handy). <BR><BR>

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 05:52 PM
Steph

Kate,<BR><BR>It's not the height of luxury, but you might want to consider a family Club Med resort somewhere with lots of activities. It's all-inclusive except for drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) outside of the restaurants. You pay with drink tickets that you buy at the check-in desk. The great thing about Club Med that i've found is that it's geared highly towards sports. I've been to three (once with family, once alone and once with a friend) and it's always been a very activities and sports-oriented vacation (diving, snorkeling, trapeze, sailing, windsurfing, volleyball, etc). It's not very luxurious and the food might get a bit boring near the end of the week, but it's fun. Beer and wine are available at mealtimes, but otherwise, you've got to buy tickets and purchase your drinks at the bar. It probably won't keep them from drinking 100% if that's what they're after, but it will be pretty tough for them to purchase a lot of alcohol on a restricted ticket stipend better suited for water and soda. The only problem would be at mealtimes, where wine and beer flow freely. But, it sounds like you're a responsible parent that cares about what happens to your child, and if you are confident in sending her out on her own and confident that she'll act responsibly, then she won't have much of a problem with alcohol at mealtimes anyway. The problem would be to find one that has clubs and dancing nearby. All of their resorts have a disco/club as well. I would suggest contacting Club Med for a catalog. Good luck!

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 07:47 PM
xxxxxx

Check out La Cabana in Aruba

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 06:39 AM
Eric

I wish you were my parents I have been to all inclusives in the Caribbean many times. Your kids will be offered booze, pot, and sex, almost constantly. I've seen it before. Especially during spring break. It seems like many adults are a bit blind to the drug scene in the Carribean. People who look like (parents) are often skipped by the "jugglers" that wander the beaches in the Caribbean. My main concern would not even be the "weed", but the coke they would also be offered (often for free - to cute teenage girls). Cocaine is everywhere in the Caribbean, and is cheap and strong. While I wouldn't suggest leaving your kids home, I would suggest staying at the same resort (DUH!)<BR><BR>Good luck,<BR>Eric

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 09:50 AM
k

Eric and others, would you say that there are places that this is less likely to happen? From responses I've read in these forums (under teen searches), Aruba and Grand Cayman seem to be mentioned the most as the 'better' alternatives. <BR><BR>Does anyone have experience with places in Mexico that are 'milder'?<BR><BR>Thanks!

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 10:36 AM
hamlet

Would you consider going on a cruise? The kids wouldn't be served alcohol on board - well they might be or can try for it - but I think it's not as easy to get compared to spending the whole vacation on one of the islands. And if you have shared or separate cabins, you can keep tabs on them without crowding each other.<BR><BR>Part of the decision might also be dependent on your kids' relationship to alcohol. Are they not all that interested and it's just a matter of you (and/or them) not wanting to be in an environment that's filled with alcohol. Or are they going to be wanting it and you want to keep them away from it? If you have to guard them carefully at home, then you'll have to do the same no matter where you go.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 10:45 AM
why

Kate, hate to say this, but your kids are still young, do a family vacation, soon enough they will be too old and doing things you won't want to know about. Be a parent not a friend, your not doing good by then allowing them on this kind of vacation at this age. Take them to the Grand Canyon or St. Agustine, a family trip!!! Trust me, been there and done it!!! &gt;deibe to

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 10:49 AM
mary

Cozumel really seems to promote kid friendly resorts. Stay away from Cancun. It's a spring breaker's heaven.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -