Search

Chartering a boat for a week for vacation

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2014, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chartering a boat for a week for vacation

Hey fellow fodorites,

I have not really seen anything like this on the website - but have any of you ever or had any friends charter a boat for a week for a vacation? My husband is interested in doing this for our next vacation as he would like to consider us living on a boat when he retires.

In order to start the process (Just to see what the space feels like) for a week we would like to rent a boat for a week - something around 50 feet as that is the size we would be looking at... I have done some google searches and there is a lot of information out there.

We would be going with one other couple for the week - he is a very experienced captain.

Thanks in advance - looking for next May or June...any websites you can suggest?
Old Jul 5th, 2014, 12:31 PM

Try posting your question on the BVI Forum at traveltalkonline - lots of sailors there who are experts on sailing in the Caribbean.
Old Jul 7th, 2014, 02:40 AM

I have done this many times, and www.traveltalkonline.com is an excellent resource. Once you do a charter vacation, well, you may never be able to travel the same way again. Our first charter led to us buying our first sailboat and we've gone far down that road since. I've got trip reports on my website at www.islandtime.homestead.com.

For first-timers, I would suggest The Moorings as your charter company, and the British Virgin Islands as your destination. There are myriad other options, but those are your gateway drugs.
Old Jul 7th, 2014, 05:06 AM

This is written about a lot on the boards and it's a very popular option in the Virgin Islands (and elsewhere in the Caribbean). There's also a how-to section covering this in our print guidebook to the US & British Virgin Islands.
Old Jul 7th, 2014, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Callaloo and Doug!
Old Jul 9th, 2014, 10:41 AM

One of the safest and most fun areas in the world to charter is Marsh Harbour.

The winds and sea states can be unpredictable in the Caribbean and believe me spending nights at anchor in an open bay when it blows 30 knots is no fun.

The Sea of Abaco is on average 20 ft deep and very protected from the open sea. The snorkelling is good and you have plenty of options in terms of eating. It s very easy to find protected anchorages in any direction.

Cruise Abaco have a very good selection of boats and their operation is very professional. Sunsail and The Moorings have had questionable management in some areas over the years.
Old Jul 9th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Dickie - thank you for those tips!
Old Mar 18th, 2015, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

We ended up taking sailing lessons for a number of months and have joined a local boat club where we have access to a number of monohulls - we are up to around 36 feet and loving it. My husband is headed out in a few weeks on an overnight to start to learn the navigation aspect, mooring etc. (we have only done day sails). It has been a fun new adventure!

We ended up booking our first trip to the BVI for next April (2026) and will be bareboating on a catamaran for our 20 year anniversary. My husband is beyond excited! I tried to get him to the Abaco but he was set on BVI - we start in Hodges Harbor.... have not really planned beyond securing the boat at this time.
Old Mar 18th, 2015, 08:09 AM

Hi Momddtravel2, we are going on our long-awaited BVI crewed sailing trip on a monohull in a little more than a week. I took the ASA 101 course and have been practicing knots until I can do them in my sleep. Then a week ago last Friday I fractured a pelvic bone in a skiing accident. I have been feeling very sorry for myself these past few days. We still plan to go but I will have to leave it up to DH and DS to do any type of crewing (the captain has agreed to teach us what he can in a week).

We rented a powerboat in the Abacos a few years ago. It was stunningly beautiful. I wonder how shallow it is compared to the BVIs and if that makes sailing more difficult.

I love the sound of your new-found adventure hobby.
Old Mar 18th, 2015, 09:50 AM

Callaloo, I've read almost all your excellent trip reports. In fact, they are what inspired us to take a trip the Abacos.
Old Jun 1st, 2015, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Kamae - I am so sorry to read about your fractured pelvic bone! that is so horrible! I hope the trip was amazing ....