Royal West Indies Input

Search

Royal West Indies Input

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2005, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Royal West Indies Input

Anybody recently stay here we are going the end of the month for five nights? We also thought about the Sands
tia
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 01:51 PM

I stayed at the Sands in May and also considered RWI. RWI seems to be doing better recently if the reviews on Tripadvisor are accurate.

The Sands was very nice as far as the room, common areas, restaurant, and pools. However, we had some problems with the service. The front desk staff left a little to be desired (they weren't very friendly and could be described as aloof), and we had to call everyday to get our room cleaned when it still wasn't cleaned at 4:30. Also, we would ask for stuff that was supposed to be in the room, e.g., paper towels, and they would say that they were going to bring them up and never do so.

I just looked at the recent reviews of the Sands and perhaps they heeded some of those criticisms from people like me b/c someone who went last month said they had turn down service every night and Fiji water in the rooms. That didn't happen when we were there.

Maybe if you could get someone who went to RWI recently to talk about that would be helpful. However, when the shuttle dropped off guests at RWI it looked really nice.
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 06:39 PM

I assume we're talking Turks Caicos here

We stayed at RWI - and it was just what we wanted --plenty of privacy and quiet. Plenty of room --our room was gigantic.

Nothing special in food or drink. Just super casual and nice - and a long, winding lush garden atmosphere.

Eat elsewhere for dinner, for more variety and culinary expertise

dc
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 08:48 PM

We stayed at RWI in March 2004 and thought it was great. Our room was big and clean. I think the grounds are beautiful and the beach was gorgeous.
You will not be disappointed with RWI - we would definitely stay there again.
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 08:25 AM

We stayed at RWI the end of Nov/early Dec last year and are going back again the same time this year. I don't think you will be disappointed if you choose RWI.
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 09:41 AM

We stayed at the Sands recently and agree with comments made by mah1980. Our two bedroom condo was usually not cleaned until 3 - 3:30pm. We would come back from our morning excursions hoping to come back to a clean place and hoping to let our toddler sleep in quiet through the afternoon...that was not to be. Also, I heard similar complaints from others staying there at the same time so I know it was not an isolated incidence. My oceanfront condo was also not "true oceanfront" but after waiting for over 2.5 hours to get our room and a very cranky toddler on our hands we did not try to change rooms. The one advantage over RWI would be a kiddie pool and an onsite kid friendly restaurant, that is if you are travelling with a child.
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info from all. Those of you who stayed at the RWI I can't seem to find a layout for the buildings. I booked an Ocean Front Studio however
there is no info online and getting an email answer is like pulling teeth.
What rooms and buildings would you suggest for two of us.
tia
Old Nov 2nd, 2005, 03:50 PM

Stayed there for two weeks in July 04,and you will not be disappointed.Building 2 has best views.Washer&dryer in rooms,very handy.
Old Nov 5th, 2005, 10:56 AM

ynot6352 - There is only 1 oceanfront building at RWI, #1. If you check out www.travelhop.com you can see the interior of the rooms and the views. However, they have mixed up the rooms (the 1 bedroom suite is actually a 1 bedroom suite oceanfront and the room identified as an oceanfront is actually an oceanview). I believe there are 15 rooms in each building (3 floors, 5 on each floor. The end rooms on each floor are 1 bedroom suites and the 3 center rooms are studio suites. Some of the 1 bedroom suites have an adjoining door with the studio suites and can be made into 2 bedroom suites). I have read where the resort have told people that building 2 is also an oceanfront, but it really is an oceanview. Try to get a confirmation that you are in building 1. When the suites were for sale there was a floorplan available on RWI site, but it is not longer there. You may also check out vrbo.com. You can rent from private owners and save quite a bit over resort prices. We did this last year and had no problem.
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

carol3
thank you for the info. we are also going to be there the end of nov. 11/29/05 thru 12/04.hope the weather is good andif you have anymore info about rwi it is greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 04:40 PM

ynot6352 - RWI is a beautiful resort. Even though Provo is a desert island, the grounds at RWI are beautiful. One of the things that is nice about RWI is the staff sets up all the beach chairs and umbrellas around 8 am in the morning. When we traveled to Aruba, we had to get up before sunrise to go out to the beach to set up our chairs so we could get a place under a thatch hut. Some people complain about the noise from Club Med which is next door. Our room was right next to Club Med and we didn't find any problem with noise. Also, the resort had no children compared to The Sands or Ocean Club/West which caters more to children. We will also be there until the 4th. If you have any questions, please let me know and I will try to answer them.
Old Nov 6th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

carol3
can you tell us about tipping at the resort,best way to get around,places to eat and prices?

thanks
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

carol3
Also can you drink the water?
Old Nov 7th, 2005, 12:53 PM

ynot6352,
I might be able to help with a few of your questions. Tipping at the resort was $2.00 a bag for the bellhop. We gave the girl at the front desk $20.00 at the end of the week for making dinner reservations and calling the car rental place and arranging a massage for hubby. The pool guy arranged for our parasailing and we tipped him $5.00 The driver for our airport transfer, we tipped him $5.00 each way. I think that was it.

Make sure when you dine at restaurants you check the bill to see if they have automatically added a tip. Many of the restaurants we ate at did this. As far as our favorite places to eat, we loved Coco Bistro, right across the road from RWI. Great outdoor setting and very good food. Our dinner there ran $70.00 with 2 drinks. Also, we loved the Gecko Grill at OC East. Dinner there with drinks around $90.00 Hemmingways was very good and about $70.00. If you go somewhere like Anacona or Coboya, they will run well over $120.00. Some great inexpensive places we found was Calico Jacks in Ports of Call and Danny Bouys at Saltmills. You can eat at both of those places for around $50.00 with drinks.

As far as transportation, we always rent a car at least for 3 or 4 days. That way you can try restaurants that aren't within walking distance to RWI, go to the IGA etc. Hope this helps.
Sandy
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 04:30 AM

ynot6352
Sandy answered most of your questions about tipping and dining. I agree with her about renting a car. We chose to rent one for our entire stay so we could go to the IGA, shopping and restaurants at our convenience. There are a couple of small shopping plazas not too far from RWI. We dined at Coco Bistro which is within walking distance. When you walk out to the road that RWI is located on turn right and it will be located a short walk on the left side of the road (it's set back from the road). We also dined at Bella Luna which is not too far from RWI by car. You can walk to Anacaona from RWI. If you are facing the ocean, OCW is to the right of RWI (Gecko Grill is located there. Everyone loves this restaurant but I really didn't care for it.) Anacaona is to the left, a short walk down the beach. The lounge and restaurant is really beautiful. Even if you don't have dinner there, go to the lounge and have a drink. There is live entertainment on some evenings. This is the only restaurant where we had to call a day or two before to get a reservation. Bay Bistro at the Sibonne is also very good. Magnolia's, also expensive, is located at Turtle Cove (definately will need a car or taxi to get to Turtle Cove). We also ate at Hemingways (food was OK, but service wasn't great). The Fairways which is located at the golf resort gets good reviews and we are planning to try it this year. You may be able to walk there from RWI. To get to the Fairways you would turn left when you go out to the road that RWI is located on. I think it's located behind OCW. We also didn't get a chance to try Coyaba at Coral Gardens and Grace's Cottage. These are also expensive restaurants. I've also read great reviews about Iguana's which I think is located in Salt Mills Plaza (not too far from RWI. I think it's more moderately priced). You may have read some reviews from Howard who travels there frequently. In fact I believe he is there now. Watch for a trip report from him. I have e-mailed him directly and he gave me great info about Provo before we traveled there. The Gecko Shuttle is in service this year. This will take you to the shopping plazas and restaurants along Grace Bay. I think it now evens go to Turtle Cove Marina. I don't think it goes to the IGA? We're renting a car again this year since we like the freedom of coming and going as we please. Have a great trip! If I can answer any other questions, please let me know.
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you!!!!
Carol3 are the bugs bad this time of year??
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 06:08 PM

I would definately take bug repellent. There wasn't a problem during the day, but once the sun went down there was. You will notice that the restaurants will have bug repellent available. I've had worse problems with noseem's in Florida this time of the year.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

carol3
when emailed they wrote the room was ocean front and would not give a building number.
should we stay away from the drinking water?
how was the weather this time of the year?
dress requirements?
we are not fish eaters so where are the best beef and chicken dishes?
tia
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 11:17 AM

drinking water is fine.
weather is generally fine, very dry island.
I'm not a fish eater either, but all restaurants have a big selection, all restaurants are very good if not excellent. My favorites are Hemmingways (at Sands Resort) and Tiki Hut (at Turtle Cove)
Both Sands and RWI are excellent places to stay.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 11:17 AM

We bought bottled water when we visited but I don't think it's unsafe to drink.

There are many restaurants to eat good beef or chicken. I don't eat seafood either so if you'd like to pull up my trip report from May which discusses restaurants just click on my user name. There are several other recent trip reports so just search restaurants in Turks and Caicos.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -