Reload this Page >

Ritz vs. Hyatt vs. Wyndham Hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2001, 11:16 AM
iris welten

My husband and I go for 8 days to Puerto Rico. We don't have kids and would like to relax with a little sightseeing. Most important to us is that that the hotel resort has a beautiful atmosphare. I would be most greatful for any tips regarding the hotel. We can't decide between the Ritz Carlton San Juan, Hyatt Dorado Beach/or Hyatt Regency Cerromar and Wyndham El Conquistador Resort/or Wyndham El San Juan. Which is the nicest? Thank you.

Old May 31st, 2001, 05:38 PM
Marla

Iris, <BR>I visited PR in '99. My family and I started off with a pre-cruise stay at the Wyndham Old San Juan directly across from the cruise terminal. Nightmare. Could have been a one time thing, but they "lost" our bookings for 2 rooms. Both were made for seperate families and at seperate times. Very peculiar! We arrived late at night with no where else to go, 2 families of 4 each. Long story short, we got the rooms after being made to feel unwelcome (complaint to Wyndham's corp. offices in U.S. upon our return home yielded rude return phone calls and messages from customer service)! Needless to say, I'm anti-Wyndham! The entryway and staircase are beautiful, but you can 'visit' without staying there to see it. <BR> <BR>The next evening we visited the Ritz-Carlton for pre-dinner drinks and a walk around the grounds. It is impeccable. The service is stellar. The beach is white sand. Here you will be much closer to shopping, nightlife, restaraunts, tours, etc... Remember, we didn't stay there, but I wouldn't hesitate to go there, assuming the price is in your range. <BR> <BR>After the cruise, we all stayed for 5 days at the Hyatt Regency Cerromar. Great place if you are travelling with kids - kids club available. I would suggest the Dorado Hyatt for you and your husband. Cerromar has a meandering river pool, water slide, swim up bar and awesome golf course. There are several nice shops there as well. There's also a free (I think) shuttle between Cerromar and the Dorado property that only takes about 5 mins. If you choose one of the Hyatts, definitely use it! The coffe shop/buffet at Cerromar is not so good and the service is very poor. Also, watch your charges at this hotel! They were very neglectful here. We were charged for things, room service and food that we didn't order and NOT charged for things we did. Very unprofessional. The rooms lacked personality, but were adequete. <BR> <BR>We actually spent more time at the Dorado property (we liked the beach there). The restaurants were better!!! The grounds are very sprawling though. There was room remodelling construction going on when we were there. I would suggest the cabanas/villas/suites (whatever they call them there) that are located directly inbetween the pool and the beach. They looked very nice! Very, very few children here at that time. <BR> <BR>Bottom line... <BR> <BR>Choice #1 - Ritz-Carlton for location, beauty of hotel and grounds, and reputation. <BR> <BR>Choice #2 - Dorado Hyatt for a more secluded location, service, and tropical setting. <BR> <BR>Choice #3 - Cerromar Hyatt for price, easy access to golf course, and a bit 'younger' crowd. <BR> <BR>Have a wonderful trip! We did (even with a few blips)! <BR> <BR>Marla <BR> <BR>ps. I didn't go to the Wyndham El Conquistador. I think it may be one we drove by on an Old San Juan tour. Nothing that stands out in my mind.

Old May 31st, 2001, 06:04 PM
rqf

El San Juan and Ritz are in Isla Verde near airport. El San Juan is one of the most popular hotels on the island. It might be a little more laid back at the Ritz. Couldn't go wrong with either. <BR>Dorado Beach and Cerromar are about 25 miles west of San Juan. Both are in the boondocks. Cerromar is family oriented. Dorado has a nice very narrow beach and the pool is your standard rectangular shape. Dorado is more spread out. <BR>Conquistador is about 25 miles east of San Juan. A luxury resort that is also in the boondocks. My first choice in Isla Verde would be the Ritz because it is more laid back than the El San Juan.. For hustle and bustle El San Juan fits the bill. If I decided to go out on the island Conquistador would be my first choice. Grading by atmoshpere El San would head my list. The grounds and lobby are prime.

Old May 31st, 2001, 06:35 PM
Iris

Dear Marla: <BR> <BR>Thank you so much for your very comprehensive answer to my question. I appreciate it a lot. Our only concern with the Ritz is, that the noise of the airport might be too much to relax (depending how many flights are going). And we intended to book a room with "city view" in the Ritz and are worried that it is a room with view to the airport... <BR> <BR>Anyway, will soon make a decision. Thank you again <BR>

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 07:14 AM
rqf

A city view room at the Ritz does face one of the major runways and noise from departing and arriving airplanes will be intrusive. It is a very busy airport so you can anticipate a plane arriving or departing at least every couple of minutes from early morning to late evening. Very few flights arrive and depart between 10pm and 6am. Airplane noise is also intrusive at the El San Juan. I have stayed in the area in the past. Once at a hotel right next to the El sAn Juan and at a hotel right next to the Ritz. Never had any problem with airport noise when in the room. When at the beach or pool after awhile you hardly notice the airport noiosei

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 10:22 AM
harry

Thank you very much for your comment. <BR> <BR>Best regards

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 11:03 AM
Tia

Ritz, but Ocenview.