Ride from MoBay to Negril?

Old Oct 14th, 1999, 07:25 PM
Susan

Ride from MoBay to Negril?

Hi - Please tell me what the ride from MoBay airport to Negril is like? I hear it is the worst. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks...

Old Oct 15th, 1999, 04:23 AM
Bex

It can be pretty wild but everyone should do it at least once in their life! *G* Seriously tho, it takes about a hour and a half, lots of construction, so sometimes you're on bumpy dirt roads. Soon come de new road. (which translates, maybe a few months or years). I usually take a flight which can range from 45 to 60 pp. Timair and Air Negril are charter, Air Jamaica has scheduled flights. Since there are no lights at the air strip in Negril, the last flight leaves Sangster about 5:45PM.

Old Oct 15th, 1999, 05:43 AM
Michel

Hi Susan,

I rather enjoy the ride from Montego Bay to Negril. It takes about 1.5 hours and takes you through small towns and villages, lush vegetation... Upon arrival in Jamaica, I find it a great way to get into the swing of things. Sit back and enjoy!

Old Oct 15th, 1999, 06:20 AM
Scott

I didn't mind the drive. It is 1.5 hrs,a very bumpy and winding road, but you get to see a part of the country we would not have seen otherwise.

Old Oct 15th, 1999, 06:21 AM
Scott

I didn't mind the drive. It is 1.5 hrs,a very bumpy and winding road, but you get to see a part of the country we would not have seen otherwise.

Old Oct 15th, 1999, 02:20 PM
Cassie

I've done both the ride and the plane several times. I agree with Scott - the ride isn't that bad and you actually get to see some of the country (that you won't be seeing once you hit that all-inclusive resort in Negril). It certainly isn't superhighway, but it winds along the beach, and you see some real Jamaican towns. I like to bus IN from MoBay to Negril and see the sights, then fly BACK, so that I don't have to leave Negril as early in the morning to make my flight.

Old Oct 15th, 1999, 04:34 PM
Brian

The worst part of the trip from the airport to Negril (or to Ocho Rios) is waiting for the minibus to leave the airport. Sometimes it takes at least an hour just to leave the airport. It takes less time to go through customs and claim your luggage. Then when you think the bus is finally going to leave, the driver gets off and starts to take care of some other business. Other than that, the ride isn't too bad. If it's your first time in Jamaica, it provides a good (and very eye-opening) introduction to the island. The trip seems to go alot smoother when returning to the airport.

Old Oct 17th, 1999, 05:41 AM
Rosie

I agree with the others - I enjoy the ride. Get a couple of Red Stripes before you leave the airport - sit back and relax and enjoy the view. Nobody hurries in jamaica, so just kick back and sip your beer. I do agree - I like to ride in and then fly back because you don't have to leave as early. Air Negril is great and the flight takes 20 minutes or so and you fly along the coast - its great. But you HAVE to ride the bus - you get to see stuff you otherwise wouldn't and get a taste of "real" jamaica. Don't be a weanie - and remember what our bus drivers always say "don't get scared until I get scared"
Enjoy!

Old Oct 17th, 1999, 09:52 PM
michele

THE TRIP IS A BLAST, AND REALLY GIVES YOU A FEEL FOR THE ISLAND! SIT BACK, DRINK A RED STRIPE OR TWO (AVAILABLE AT THE AIRPORT PARKING LOT BAR) AND ENJOY THE THRILL RIDE! READ "HOW STELLA GOT HER GROOVE BACK" (FORGET THE MOVIE). SHE DESCRIBES THE TRIP FROM MO BAY TO NEGRIL. YOU'LL PASS THE LITTLE YELLOW BEACH HOUSE IN "COOL RUNNINGS" - ASK YOUR DRIVER TO POINT IT OUT. OFTEN THE DRIVERS STOP HALF WAY FOR BATHROOM/BEER BREAKS. JUST ASK... YOU'LL LOVE NEGRIL! ALSO, A BIT OF ADVICE, IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE HASSLED ON THE BEACH, LEARN TO SAY "NO, THANK YOU" IMMEDIATELY. THEY'LL RESPECT THAT. IF YOU SAY "MAYBE LATER" OR "NOT RIGHT NOW" THEY'LL KEEP COMING BACK TO SELL WHATEVER. THEY ARE JUST TRYING TO MAKE A LIVING. THE JAMAICANS ARE WONDERFUL PEOPLE! THE BEACH IS BEAUTIFUL! GREAT FOOD, MUSIC, AND FUN!!!