Review of the Holiday Inn Sunspree

Old Dec 5th, 1999, 06:26 PM
pat

Review of the Holiday Inn Sunspree

What's up with this hotel? I am reading mixed reviews. What is the pool renovation all about? Is this place clean, roomy and fun for adults and teens? Did you see bugs or litter on the beach? What is the ocean water like? Have been on 10 cruises, one all inclusive to cancun, and now are booked at the Sunspree for March of 2000. Are we making a mistake?

Old Dec 6th, 1999, 12:47 PM
Diane

Pat--I have also seen mixed reviews about this resort. My daughter and her friends are going there for spring break in March 2000. The travel agency that booked the trip is a reputable agency that specializes in luxury accommodations--they did say that this is not one of the resorts they typically send customers to, but the girls going wanted for everyone to be able to afford the trip and some are under 21 (not all places allow unaccompanied "children" under 21). <BR> <BR>The way I look at it, you never really know the viewpoint of those writing the negative posts. Maybe they are used to five star hotels and gourmet food--or they are never happy with anything. The positive posts are enough for me to go on. <BR> <BR>Also, a friend of mine who has been to Montego Bay and Negril says that the ocean at Negril has clearer, more beautiful water. She also said that anywhere you go you have to watch out for people paddling ashore and trying to sell all sorts of things(!) Sounds like it will be an interesting experience.

Old Dec 7th, 1999, 09:18 AM
TONI

PAT: I stayed at the Holiday Inn Sunspree a few years ago, before it was refurbished. I thought the hotel was okay, nothing spectacular. The pool was large and very nice. The beach area is very small. When I say small, the beaches in that area are more cul du sacs, they are not long walking beaches. The water is very shallow. You have to walk a long way, for the water to get past your knees. The water was very weedy in some parts. The meals at the restaurant were pretty good, although one night they were serving steaks, and they ran out. They only had one restaurant when I was there, the other one you had to pay a surcharge to use it. I do not know if that has changed. Overall I would say it is a good 3 star hotel. The rooms were clean, but they had a musty smell, because of the carpeting in the room. The hallways needed refurbishing, especially the carpeting. Overall it is a good hotel, with limited facilities, as long as you know what you are getting, I think you should have a good week. Have a good trip...Antoniette

Old Dec 7th, 1999, 12:23 PM
pat

Diane: Thanks for response. My two teenage sons, age 16 & 18, are wondering the ages of your daughter and friends. We will be at Sunspree late March, and they are hoping to have lots of other teens there to hang out with. Both really are into water sports and volleyball. We are hoping to read more reviews about the hotel, but will hope for the best. We have to keep in mind that any vacation is better than none. Hope our kids can meet if there the same week. <BR>

Old Dec 8th, 1999, 10:46 AM
Diane

Pat--my daughter's group will be there March 26 through April 2. There are about 15 in the group including a few boys. Most are high school seniors 17 and 18. There will be a few college students (girls) with them also. (And some parents down the road at another resort.) Will you be there at the same time? My understanding is that the place is packed with teenagers at that time of year.

Old Dec 8th, 1999, 11:25 AM
pat

Diane: Yes, that's when we'll be there. I have called my travel agent and asked her to get advice from other families she has booked there. She thinks that all the negative we are reading is just a bit biased from some reason or other. I will let you know what I hear. My boys are looking forward to this vacation. Sounds like lots of teens will be there, so maybe some fun on the beach with volleyball, watersports, etc. will insure that they will all have a blast. Thanks for your input. <BR>

Old Dec 9th, 1999, 11:33 AM
Diane

Pat--thanks, I would be interested in hearing what the other families had to say about this resort. I also know that what I may like and what teenagers like isn't always the same Diane