Restaurants on GC

Oct 16th, 2001, 03:07 PM
Paul

Restaurants on GC

Love to eat. Not so much for lunch but more for great dinners out during our anniversary. Any suggestions?

Oct 16th, 2001, 03:35 PM
Sandy

Paul,
There are so many great restaurants on GC, that I wouldn't know where to start. If it's a special anniversary dinner, then maybe the Grand Old House. It's south of Georgetown. Eduardos, The Edge, The Lighthouse, Ristorante Pappagallo, Ottmar's and the Kaibo Yacht Club all have excellent food. It all depends on what you like. Once you get there, you'll be amazed at all the choices. Hope this helps!!
Sandy

Oct 16th, 2001, 07:18 PM
tmj

Try www.caymanrestaurants.com
Some of the links show menus.

Oct 17th, 2001, 05:52 AM
Scott

Paul,

Our favorites:

The Wharf...atmosphere to die for..very romantic...great food

The Reef Grill...amazing food & service

Smugglers's Cove...incredible gourmet creations

All of the above are expensive, but some of the finest restaurants we have ever been to...do NOT miss them.

Oct 17th, 2001, 06:12 AM
juli

I always seem to follow Sandy....

There are some great places to eat on Cayman. That was one of my favorite parts. Many of the restaurants are known for there seafood. I loved to try new restaurants and I was really surprised at how great each place was and the level of service we received.

I think my favorite meal was at The Reef Grill. I had this amazing Tuna Steak. I would go back just for that. The atmosphere is pretty romantic. You have outside dining and great service.
Everyone I was with seemed to enjoy there meal. And the reggae band plays there on Fri+Sat, so you want to stay for that.

I also loved Smugglers Cove. I would go there for a special occasion. They also have outside dining and you should ask for a special table for your anniversary, either inside by the windows or outside on the deck. Make sure you save room for dessert, the chocolate pecan pie was to die for.

I like Papagallo's but it was a hike from SMB. The food was really good but not the best Italian I ever had. The service was excellent and even though I was with friends I think it could be romantic.

Lastly we ate at The Almond Tree. We had the best table in the house. I think they usually only sit a party of more then 2 but it is a gazebo with little white lights on top of the water. It was great to watch the sunset.
And then they have Tarpon (huge fish) feeding every night. The food was good but it was mostly the view that sold me on this place.

So those are my picks I never had a bad meal there. We stayed at the Hyatt and our concierge had a great book of all the menus and prices so I would check those out each night to make sure everyone would be happy. I recommend if your staying in a resort to have the conceirge make your reservations. They seem to have a way of getting the best tables. Also a local call is, if I remember correct $1.88 so you save on that.
If you have any other questions feel free to ask, just take the xxx's out of my e-mail or post them here.
You'll love it
Make sure you post your picks when you return so I some advice for my next trip.
JK

Oct 17th, 2001, 06:19 AM
Jen

Hi Paul,

Must disagree with another poster about the Wharf - great view, romantic, but food and service are VERY mediocre and not worth the bill. There are plenty of other choices listed above that would fit the bill.

Oct 17th, 2001, 10:49 AM
Tom

I have to agree with the last post, Wharf is tourist oriented. Most of the restaurants listed in this thread, except Eduardos and the Edge, mainly cater to tourists, and the seafood mainly imported. They are still all very good restaurants, but it should be noted that those aren't the ones where you'll find too many locals eating. All depends on what you're looking for, and Cayman has lots of great choices. We just got back and Kaibo was closed for dinner due to the slowdown, but the places the locals eat were packed.

Oct 17th, 2001, 01:56 PM
Jen

Hey Tom,

A slight sub-thread - what dinner spots do you think are good, inexpensive, and totally local. We love the Edge, and will be there 11/11 to 11/16...I'd love to hear your opinion!

Oct 17th, 2001, 04:14 PM
xxx

One of my favorites is Bella Capri, accross the street from the Fosters off West Bay Road. The food is pretty good, the service/staff is really incredible. I wish we had a place like this near us.

FWIW, here is a partial list we compiled on a Palm Pilot the last time we were there; you can tell it's geared more for people with kids:

Bella Capri-good family place
Casanova-family or w/o kids
Lone Star-Tex/Mex, good kid place, easy takeout
Maxin's-adult place-very good
Pappagallo-NO
Hemingway's-good but pricey
Hyatt pool grill-can go in beach attire-good simple lunch
Edoardo's-heard it's great; haven't been
Chicken! Chicken!-good takeout
Lantanas-NO
Britannia-good place on Hyatt golf course
Ragazzi-popular, good pizza-takeout or make reservations
The Wharf-NO

Oct 18th, 2001, 05:33 AM
juli

Tom:
I am curious to ask if the local hang outs have the same romantic atmoshpere and great service as the places mentioned. I understand you say they are touristy but thats what we are, tourists. I live in a tourist filled area myself in the summer and There are so many places we go for dinner that are off the beaten path but we dont need to have the atmosphere and the vacation experience, we just want to eat.
Just curious
JK

Oct 18th, 2001, 11:05 AM
Tom

I think Paul's question was well answered, those are good choices for an anniversary dinner.

Jen, we like Champion House and Libertys for native dishes. Less touristy places we like are Casanovas Maxins Cimboco Landmark Fidel Murphys PDs Eduardos Edge Gateway to India, but there are many we haven't tried yet. Those were busy a couple weeks ago even with the massive slowdown, whereas the ones that mainly cater to tourists were almost empty. It's very difficult for the staffs, there are some closings, layoffs and limited shifts. Almost all of the restaurants I've tried on GC were good to great, the only really bad meal I ever had was at Rum Point.

Juli, many less touristy places are romantic and have great service. And you don't necessarily have to spend a fortune like the average tourist on their first trip. On your future trips you will likely add many new choices to your repetoire, even though its tempting to stay with your first time favorites. Anywhere I go I try to look for the places the local eat, that's some of the oldest travel advice in the world!

Oct 18th, 2001, 12:09 PM
Jen

First - thanks Paul, for letting us chat within your thread - I think you have several choices for your anniversary.

Second - thanks Tom, for the info. If you have any last recommendations for dining on the East End of the island, that would be great - we're staying out that way.

More specifically, what are your thoughts (and anyone jump in here) on Castaway, Lighthouse, Vivian's Kitchen...Thanks!

Oct 18th, 2001, 02:59 PM
Sandy

Hi Jen,
I'm jumping in on this thread to answer some of your questions. If your staying on the East end, the Lighthouse is great!! If you go for a late lunch you can save a ton of money and still enjoy good food!! The Edge is a must, and it's just a short drive. Vivian's is the best local food you'll find on that side of the island!! Kaibo Yacht Club has great food, northside, but someone said they were temporarily closed. That's a shame!!
Sandy

Oct 19th, 2001, 04:49 AM
Jen

Thanks Sandy! Really appreciate your input, esp about Lighthouse and Vivian's.

Oct 19th, 2001, 05:19 AM
Scott

Just want to add....

Please remember, that restaurants are always a simple matter of opinion, and sometimes even the best places have off nights. I have heard several people put down the Wharf, but my wife & I had (TWO) absolutely perfect nights there. Someone else above said "NO" to Lantana's, where myself and several friends thought it was some of the best food we had on the island.

Whether they cater to tourists or not means nothing to me. I simply want to go experience great food & service. The bottom line is that you need to try and make a few good choices from a few recomendations, and try for YOURSELF. One one man hates, another man loves. The beauty of GC is that you have a giant selection of places to pick from, and the majority are very, very good.

Oct 21st, 2001, 09:01 AM
Paul

Thanks everyone for the info. We leave on Monday morning 10/22 and will let you all know what we encounter. Sounds as if everyone has very similar tastes as we do.