Resorts with no TV/Air

Jul 30th, 2003, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Resorts with no TV/Air

Hello,
If anyone knows off hand, would you please let me know which resorts do NOT have air and or tv?

There are many resorts that are given high marks on this board (Caneel, Cap ect) and I am just wondering if they (and others) would even be a consideration for me in the future...
Thanks
Ruby
[email protected]
Jul 30th, 2003, 06:44 AM

I'm not sure if I understand the question...are you looking for NO air conditioning? Cap and Caneel both have AC.
Jul 30th, 2003, 07:13 AM

I think there are quite a number of smaller places that have no AC or TV. I am staying in one in November - the Frangipani Hotel in Bequia.

Check it out at:

http://www.frangipanibequia.com/
Jul 30th, 2003, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Sorry for any confusion,

Simply I just want to know what resorts do NOT have air/Tv. (for some this is desirable, natural and peaceful)

However this is NOT for me, I am glad to hear Caneel and Cap have air

I am just trying to get a "feel" for some highly rated hotels, everyone's perspective is different

Thanks
Ruby
Jul 30th, 2003, 07:46 AM

Caneel, Cap, Malliouhana have a/c but no TV-just media rooms. CJ has an ordered TV for the pool suites, and large villas. CuisinArt besides a/c has cable TV in every room. Jumby has inadequate a/c and no TV (except harbour vilas).
Little Dix also has a/c, no TV. Curtain Bluff has no a/c, probably no TV. Many of the top resorts in Provo
have air cnditioning plus TV! So, now you can be more selective!
Jul 30th, 2003, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Penny, exactly what I was looking for

Ruby
Jul 30th, 2003, 08:21 AM

In addition to Penny's list, there is also Biras Creek, Virgin Gorda, BVI. There is no TV, There is AC but we never used it. I loved the natural beauty of Biras, rustic yet casually elegant - think relaxed caribbean with china and silver. There are also no roads on that part of Virgin Gorda, so you just have the sound of the breeze, birds and water. you are given bicycles to get around and boston whalers to explore (both no charge) Biras accommodates only 60 guests at a time, the beach may be small in comparisson to other resorts, but it is never crowded as there are only 60 people and everyone is never there at the same time. It is an upscale all inclusive, except for drinks (no need for money you run a tab and pay upon checkout) My husband and I stayed in the GrandSuite and the huge glass doors looking over the water became our TV. We would sit for hours on our own private verandah sip champagne and gaze at the water. I know what you mean about AC, there is nothing like the fragrant caribbean trade winds floating thru your room. During our visit we found the air to be so fragrant is actually smelled like air freshner! Even when we go to Cap we leave the AC off and use the overhead fans instead.
As you can tell Biras is one of my favorite destinations for me tied with Cap - completely different but equal.

Sorry about being long winded about Biras - I just looked at my pictures last night
Jul 30th, 2003, 10:19 AM

Lots of fun about TV, a/c issue. Jalousie Hilton has both too!

Now,Sandyfeer tell me more about Biras.
We were at LDB a few years back, I really enjoyed beautiful Virgin Gorda. Biras has interested me, we went to The Bitter End for lunch, I should have checked out Biras. I have read that you cycle to the swimming beach,
so I assume the room you were in (sounds wonderful) overlooks the non swimming part of Biras. Can you snorkel near your room, how long was the bike ride, can you walk, get a golf cart etc. I know what you mean about the sea air-just had that wonderful experience once again in another favorite of mine-Bermuda!
Jul 30th, 2003, 10:37 AM

Cap Juluca has TV's for all the rooms--if you want them.
They're $20 per day and they receive cable.
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:18 AM

Hi Penny!

Biras is surrounded by 3 bodies of water. The cottages lines Berchers Bay,which is rocky and the water is rough, management advises everyone not to swim/snorkel sue to the strong currents. The sun rises on the cottage side of the resort. The first morning I woke up to this orange glow coming from the cracks in the door. I opened up the door (similar to the ones at Cap) I saw the most amazing sunrise. you can walk to the main house or take your bicycle. We were in the very last cottage (17A) on the end furthest from all and it was fun and very private - but all cottages are private there. You ride your bike everywhere - its about 5 minutes to bike to the beach, but again its fun. It is not a difficult trail and very pretty. Also you ride down to the marina where the whalers are - these are so much fun! We took the whaler everywhere (within a range - they give you a map and you are not to pass certain landmarks) the bay on that side of the resort is very calm. We took the wahler to Saba Rock, a bar restaurant that is its own island, and all over. They will pack you a gourmet lunch to take with you so you pack your boat with snorkel equiptment (also free) and go out and explore. It is very safe and if you are gone too long they will go looking for you. you are to use the boats for 3 hours if you need it longer just tell them so they don't go looking for you! There are also hiking trails, and we walked to them all. We went to Bitter End it reminded me of Fire Island (not far from where I live) Very different from Biras. IMHO I thought the food at Biras was the best I have had anyhwere. As you know everything is included in the price except for drinks. Breakfast is outstanding, same for lunch. they also have lunch beach bar b que - Excellent. Grilled fish, fresh vegetables wonderful food served on china/silverware! The beach bar is great. Now remember it is small you do not have the huge expanse of beach like Cap, but it is very beautiful! There are plenty of chairs and thatched umberellas with tables. Also raise your flag for drink service. Since they accommodate only 60 people at a time, you never see more than 20 people at a time. I thought the beach was great, the watersports guy will teach you everything. Kayaking, Hobie Cats (I saw a huge turtle on day!) Wind surfing all no charge. All meals are in the same setting which is up on the hill and the view is magnificent! I can't say enough about the wonderful dinners and the wine list. The service is warm and friendly. There are no room keys as crime is really non-existent. We left money and jewelery out by mistake and nothing was toughed. There is a room safe. The rooms are large, clean and very tropical. If you like the sounds of the waves at night then get the grand suite or an ocean cottage They are cleaned 2x per day and fresh flowers are everywhere. Theres also a frige so you can shop at bitter end and keep your goodies in the fridge. You can visit the website at www.biras.com for pictures and menus and such.
They also offer excursions. Every morning during breakfast there is a director at the front table to answer all your questions and arrange anything you may need. I suggest the sunset sail on the Mary Irene or a glass bottom boat to the baths. I think they have a yoga thing going on this fall, check the website. I also thing the "week of enchantment" is a good deal Hope this helps, if you have any more questions feel free!
Jul 31st, 2003, 05:43 AM

Meridian Club in T&C has no A/C, TV or telephones.
Jul 31st, 2003, 07:41 AM

Thank you Sandyfeet! It sounds wonderful! It is on my list if I can pull myself away from my other favorites!

Re TV's at CJ -not sure if all rooms have cable, got a TV in the patio suite for the crazy 2000 election results, no cable. I know you can order TV's for video tapes at $20.00.
Aug 3rd, 2003, 11:06 AM

There are no TVs in the rooms at Swept Away in Negril. There is AC if you want it but the louvered windows and ceiling fans give it that tropical feel and make AC not that necessary.

Search this Thread