Resort for 300 people

Mar 6th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Resort for 300 people

Hope it is OK to ask on this forum. I told the powers-that-be that I would ask my Fodorite friends.

Any suggestions on a resort on a "new island for us" for our convention group of over 300 people. Not sure of the number of rooms that would be needed - 150 or so. The trip would be in January or February.

We would need one resort to accommodate all of us and that has convention facilites (meeting rooms, banquet rooms, etc.) Most of our group are very active and like water sports, sightseeing, and exploring. Many like to shop and fine dining. The resort needs to be upscale (some people are picky!). With a group this large, safety is also a factor.

The islands we have been to:
Grand Cayman
Bahamas
St. Thomas
Aruba
Puerto Rico
(We've also been to Hawaii and places in the US)

Any suggestions on a new island and resort for us? It's tough finding a place large enough with activities to keep everyone happy.

Mar 6th, 2007, 03:31 PM

Jamaica has a few resorts that can handle a group like that.

Half Moon comes right to mind but one of the new and huge Spanish mega-resorts probably could as well.
Mar 6th, 2007, 04:12 PM

I have been to Bermuda (not good for Jan/Feb) on a large group business trip. I have also been to Cancun Mexico (Ritz Carlton). We actually stayed at Le Meridian one hotel down from the Ritz. We were the overflow crowd. I personally liked the Meridian, but the Ritz was a very nice hotel and we were a large group. They rented out a restaurant for dinner one night and another night, they rented out a nightclub for the group. It was a fun trip and we went in January.

Most of the other places we went on group travel was in the US. (Palm Springs, Scottsdale, San Antonio, New York, and the Greenbriar and Homestead. I know you are a West Virginian so I am sure your group does not want to travel to the Greenbriar or Homestead! Although that is the only way to afford it!
Most of the island you have been to would be easy to recommend. Because of the safety, easy to get to, good dining, lots of activities, shopping, the islands you have already gone to would be the top of my list .

I have not been, but Anguilla has great beaches with St.Martin across the waters for shopping/gambling. For that matter, would St. Martin work? I think there is a Le Meridian there that must be nice.

Have not been, but the Dominican Republic also has large scale resorts. You would be more confined to the resort and dine on meal plans, but there would be beach and watersports.

Hope some of this helps. Good luck.

Mar 6th, 2007, 04:49 PM

Check out the Ritz Grand Cayman!
Mar 6th, 2007, 04:50 PM

Sorry LvSun, didn't register who was posting!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 6th, 2007, 05:13 PM

Look at:

Four Seasons, Nevis
Four Seasons, Exuma
Casa De Campo, Dominican Republic
Eden Roc, St. Barths
Cusinart or Cap Juluca, Anguilla
Marriot, St. Kitts
Mar 6th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. Will check them out.
Mar 7th, 2007, 03:09 AM

Also check out the Iberostar Paraiso Lindo and Maya in the Mexican Riviera Maya. Upscale, GREAT service, lots of activities, convention center on site, golf, etc.
Mar 7th, 2007, 03:57 AM

At the risk of being a St. John fanatic (okay, I am one already), I'd suggest the Westin which hosts conferences large and small. Then completely on the other side of the continent, Cabo San Lucas (sp?) My friend just returned from her second convention there and raves about it! She also liked Atlantis on Paradise Island but was not as enthusiastic.
Mar 8th, 2007, 10:30 AM

St. Kitts Marriott is very popular for conventions.

Visit www.discover-stkitts-nevis-beaches.com for more information on the island.
Mar 8th, 2007, 10:56 AM

The Aventura Spa Palace (south of Playa del Carmen) comes to mind for huge group like that. There are about 1,200 rooms there & there's plenty of room to spread out. It is Adults Only (18++) so I'm not sure if that works w/ your group.

I guess 'upscale' depends on your definition !! We (& our 12 friends that were w/ us) thought the ASP was a really nice resort. We all enjoyed the food too. I've been to 'nicer' resorts, but much smaller than ASP.

There are lots of tours in that area of the Riviera Maya for the people who like to leave the resort a bit. And, it's only about a 12 or so minute cab ride up to the south end of Playa del Carmen (for shopping, bars, restaurants...).

We've been to several resorts in multiple destinations (11x to Jamaica, 8x to Mexico, 2x to St Lucia, 2x to DR & 1x to Bahamas) and would have no qualms about going back to ASP. It was great for our group of 14, & I'm sure it would be great for a group of 300 !!

The Iberostars are a good suggestion too (& closer to the airport than ASP). They might also be a bit glitzier than the ASP.

Good luck w/ your decision !!

Jackie
Mar 8th, 2007, 11:33 AM

I'd take Anguilla off the list -- Cap Juluca has 80 units and CuisinArt has 93 and neither has convention facilities.
Mar 8th, 2007, 12:06 PM

What about Barbados? It seems that the Hilton there might meet lots of your needs. It has 350 rooms and conference facilities. Barbados offers a lot of what you want: beaches, water sports, sightseeing, exploring, shopping, fine dining, and safety. The resort is pretty new (opened in 2005), so everything should be in pretty good condition.
Mar 8th, 2007, 12:50 PM

Based on the amount of meeting space your group will need and # of guest rooms. (I am not sure how many singles / double) -
You have to find out how many rooms they will block for a group. Some will only do 50%, etc.
The Hilton Barbados would be good if they are mostly doubles or would give you a lot of rooms
Westin Dawn Beach St Maarten is brand new and has lots of meeting space.
St Kitts Marriott would be good also, the property is huge.
Four Seasons Nevis could do 150 guest rooms

If you are talking '08 whoever does the planning needs to get going right away.

GL
Mar 8th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great suggestions - will check them all out and forward the info.
Keep them coming.
Mar 9th, 2007, 12:31 AM

the Puerto Rico tourist board has a web page about all the hotels and we met a wonderful tourguide down there who knew the answer to everything check him out at 787 593 9014 Victor
Mar 11th, 2007, 02:27 PM

Look into the Iberostar Bavaro in Punta Cana.
Aug 10th, 2007, 08:50 AM

just read this. truly hope you did not pick 4S Nevis. nothing worse for us "real" travelers than rude conventioneers. this is true. many vacations have been ruined by "300 convention people i would like to say (very quietly) - conventions should not be permitted at these hotels.
Aug 10th, 2007, 09:16 AM

I just looked at the Ritz Carlton Grand Cayman for a meeting of 250. It is a wonderful, service oriented resort with excellent meeting space and a truly engaging staff.

I am also considering the Ritz and JW Marriott in Cancun.

Aug 10th, 2007, 11:36 AM

LySun, I know its not an island but it has Caribbean beaches. Have you considered the Riviera Maya in Mexico. There are huge resorts there that 300 people would not even make a dent in. Check out the Barcelos, Iberostars, Rius, and Palladium. They could all handle that many people easily.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO