Reload this Page >

Requesting info on Turks and Caicos

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2000, 09:43 AM
toni

We are planning on spending a week in Turks this June. Any advice on where to stay? I know both Beachs and Allegro are all-inclusive and would be very nice. Would staying at a hotel without the all-inclusive by advisable? Are there enough places to go out to eat at otherwise? <BR> <BR>How is the snorkeling and beaches? <BR> <BR>How does T and A compare to Aruba or Grand Cayman? <BR> <BR>Thanks for your help.

Old Apr 10th, 2000, 12:58 PM
Cheri

Provo has a lot of very good restaurants so you don't need to stay at an AI to get decent food. <BR> <BR>Snorkeling is excellent. There are two very good sits from shore and many that you can visit by boat. <BR> <BR>The beach at Grace Bay is awesome. Compared to CG and Aruba? Not as many people as CG and without Aruba's crowds and winds. 12 miles of nice walkable white sand. <BR> <BR>If you want more details, email me.

Old May 17th, 2000, 11:32 AM
Susan

Hi, Toni <BR> <BR>Have you considered Club Med? We are taking our 1st trip to T&C 6/15-29/00 and will be staying there. I really like Club Meds (been to 3 others) and think an all-inclusive is the way to go. Club Med in on Grace Bay, which is a beautiful beach, from what I've read. For more detailed info on Club Med, check out www.blackpearls.net/index.html which has guests' reviews on a number of Club Meds, including T&A. We've been to Grand Cayman twice and liked it a lot (good diving, nice beaches, friendly people, great weather - we expect the same at Provo) but haven't been to Aruba (elected to go to Bonaire and Curacao instead last summer). Have fun!

Old May 24th, 2000, 12:40 PM
Charles

Have you checked out the Caribbean Paradise Inn. I found it LodgingDiscounts.com and from its website (linked from their internet coupon)it appears to have the best of both worlds (hotel/all-inclusive)+ a more personal ambiance. Their web site has a ton of photos. I'm not sure but I think their coupon was for $100.00 off. <BR>Hope this helps.

Old May 24th, 2000, 12:56 PM
Eva

I can't compare the Turks & Caicos to Aruba or Grand Cayman, but I do agree that Grace Bay beach is world-class. I have visited Providenciales twice, staying at the Ocean Club the second trip down. I have recommended the Ocean Club to two of my co-workers, and to my sister for her honeymoon, and all have been thrilled with it. The units are condo-style -- right on the beach -- with huge screened porches. The resort has a restaurant and beach bar, and there are many others on the island(rent a car). Some of our favorites were the Banana Boat in Turtle Cove (laid back, waterfront, great bar and the best conch fritters I have eaten in my extensive travels in the Caribbean and the Keys) and Anacoana, just down the beach at the Grace Bay Club (elegant cuisine, white glove service). If you don't want to dine out for every meal, you can cook for yourself; supermarkets are adequate, and there is a good deli just down Queen's Highway from the Ocean Club. If you really want some of the hullaballoo that the all-inclusives offer, I'm pretty sure you can buy a day pass from Club Med, but I suspect you can find enough to do to entertain yourself. My favorite excursion is the one where a boat drops you at a deserted island for however long you want to stay -- very romantic!

Old May 25th, 2000, 05:21 AM
Erika

Eva: <BR>Can you give me the name or website address of the company that drops you off at the deserted island - I think that would be a great idea. Thanks, Erika

Old May 25th, 2000, 06:19 AM
Eva

Erika, <BR>I don't know the name of the company that does the drop-off and pick-up on a deserted island. I believe there are several operators who do it, and we found ours through the Ocean Club. You may also want to check with some of the dive shops. In any event, you should have no problem setting it up once you get there. <BR>

Old May 25th, 2000, 10:27 AM
carolyn

Erika, <BR> <BR>I believe the company that does the desserted island tours is called J&B Tours. Here's their web address: <BR> <BR>www.jbtours.com <BR> <BR>Have fun!!

Old May 25th, 2000, 10:59 AM
jan

EVA: <BR> <BR>Do you know anything about the Sands Resort? How does it compare to Ocean Club for price and value? <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance. <BR>

Old May 30th, 2000, 06:58 PM
Susan Park

Grace Bay Club is great if they've replaced the mattresses. We spent a small fortune to stay there and they had BOARDS between the mattresses and springs. The mattresses were like giant marshmallows. If you don't care about a good night's sleep you will enjoy the Grace Bay Club.

Old May 31st, 2000, 03:48 AM
Karen

If it is seclusion and high end, you might want to look at Meridian Club on Pine Cay. Any day, or everyday, there are boats available to take you to a couple of the closer "deserted" isalnds at your whim for no charge. Some longer trips there is a charge. But, you have all the quiet you want. Only 12 rooms and one cottage make up the Club. A very different experience than either Provo or all-inclusive and ranks right up there with Grace Bay or, for me, even better! Think it is meridianclub.com

Old May 31st, 2000, 03:51 AM
anon

No comparison between T/C and Aruba. The wind on Aruba is unforgivable. Lots of activity, people and crowds on Aruba with shoulder to shoulder hotels and timeshares!

Old Jul 1st, 2000, 03:52 PM
Linda

The meridan club is heaven on earth. We've been there 5 times. For our 30th anniversary we spent a week, but there was no room for the next 4 days so we stayed at Grace Bay. Wouldn't return to Grace Bay for free. Employee's (except for the masuse) were unpleasant. Food very very expensive and not very good and the beach is huge but there is a Club Med next door and you can hear their entertainment. At the Meridian Club, it is just you and the other guests.