Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Reports of bed bugs troubling - any experiences/opinions on validity?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 06:49 PM
anonymous

No kidding... I've read and seen a few reports lately that bed bugs are a little known but increasing problem even in upscale hotels, especially those with diversity of worldwide guests. We're planning a trip to a major all-inclusive in Jamaica this fall and this really has me creeped out. My husband says to ignore the reports because you either don't know your room has bed bugs and/or you can't do anything about them anyway. Has anyone had any experience with this, or an opinion on dealing with it, or on its validity? <BR>Trying not to be paranoid - Thanks.

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 06:50 PM
Kim

I also read the same thing about the bed bugs. Most of them have been found in Florida Hotel and Resorts.

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 06:54 PM
michelle

I wouldnt worry about it, esp in Jamaica. Crime will be your biggest worry, and finding a cab. I've been to 6 Carribean islands and the only bugs I've had probs w. are ants and flies and mosquitoes, didnt see alot of any in Jamaica, but the 'locals' who hung out on my hotel beach and sexually harrassed me whenever I ventured out where the worst type of mosquitoes Ive ever encountered! I couldnt even go in the ocean w.out being followed and approached. We ended up taking day trips daily to avoid them. The beach in Negril was great; no one bothered us.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 01:45 AM
tivertonhouse

MORE INFO: See 'Sleeping with the Enemy' by Reena Jones in 'The New York Times Magazine',Sunday 19 August 2001 <BR>(yesterday).

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 06:25 AM
Penney

We have been to Jamaica numerous times and never encountered a problem with bed bugs.

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 01:23 PM
ohliz

Finding a cab in JA was a problem? I guess we stay in Negril lately and the only problem is there are too many! <BR> <BR>What crime happened to you in Jamaica Michelle? <BR> <BR Liz