Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Renting vehicle in St. Thomas...should it be a 4WD?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello coming to STT in mid-October for four nights with another couple. Planned on renting a 4 door Jeep with Dependable and taking it around St. Thomas and then over on the ferry to St. John. We are also staying at Fenchman's Cove.

Is a 4WD worth the extra money or is a plain old car OK? Not sure how the roads are...

Thanks,

Marc
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 06:47 PM

When we took our rental from STT to St. John I regretted not having a Jeep/4WD. The roads were a bit wet and we even got lost, finding ourselves even more off the beaten track.

Also, be sure Dependable is ok with your taking the vehicle over to St. John. Some don't allow it, or if they do, won't provide roadside assistance.
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Dependable allows their cars to travel to St. John. We do have the Jeep reserved and will take your advice and keep it. Thanks.
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 05:49 PM
k

Our son worked in STT for 5 years. We always rented a jeep from Dependable, and yes they do allow you to take it to StJ. The roads aren't great on STT, lots of hills and potholes. St Johns is really hilly too.
I don't think you'll regret the jeep or dealing with Dependable. They were great.
Have fun.
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 06:51 PM

gores - I'd suggest the 4WD. The roads themselves are not so bad in terms of the quality of the surface. The main problem, especially on St. John, is that they can be extremely steep. I once rented a van for a party of five, and one rainy day I could not get up a hill on the way back to our resort - our wheels kept spinning, and we had to wait for the pavement to dry. St. Thomas is better.