Relatively quiet girls' weekend

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My college roommates and I would like a long weekend away from it all. We would prefer an all inclusive that is not singles (i.e. meat market) oriented. We demand a wonderful beach and good food. We would like to have some nightlife, but it shouldn't be too cheesy. We really just want to read, eat good food and sleep!

Any suggestions for resorts in the Carribean?
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:16 PM

I would look into the two resorts LeSport and LaSource..one in Grenada and one in St. Lucia, but I can't remember which is which right now...
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:30 PM

La Sport is in St Lucia. Sorry, don't know anything about it though. Just giving the location.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:36 PM

Bermuda would be lovely. Stay at the Reefs and have a wonderful time.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:41 PM

I would suggest Sugar Bay Club (http://www.eliteislandresorts.com/si...s/index.asp)or the Marriott (http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/SKBRB) on St. Kitts. Both offer all-inclusive. But I would actually not advise the all inclusive package, and stay at Timothy Beach Resort (http://www.timothybeach.com/). It is located right next to a row of beach bars like the Monkey Bar and the Shiggity Shack (http://www.mrxshiggidyshack.com/) that offer delicious affordable meals for lunch and dinner, while the hotel's restaurant, the Sunset Cafe serves breakfast. The units at Timothy are also equipped with a kitchen if you wanted to just make simple meals for yourself. The beach there is nice. And it allows you to have access to the beach bars which are fun at night for drinks.

There are lots of great things to do on the island
• Catamaran trip
http://www.bluewatersafaris.com/
•Take an island tour and visit these places:
http://www.caribellebatikstkitts.com/
http://www.brimstonehillfortress.org/

You can view pictures of my most recent trip to St. Kitts at
myislands.myeyez.net/photo-album

Additionally you can find reviews of all of the hotels I mentioned at:
myislands.myeyez.net

Good luck in making your choice! Sounds like a great trip!

Krista

Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 07:50 AM

moorhan,
LeSport & LeSource are supposed to be wonderful resorts (never been to either), but St. Lucia & Grenada are pretty far to fly (just in my opinion) for a long weekend. Not sure where you're flying from, but the Playa del Carmen area (south of Cancun) isn't quite as far.

My husband & I have been to several all inclusives (most of them Adults Only). If I had to pick one to return to w/ just 'girl' friends, I would go back to Secrets Capri. That's actually our favorite all inclusive that we've been to.

We thought the food was excellent & the service was wonderful. The beach was very nice (you could walk a long way). There is one resort to the north of SC, but nothing to the south for quite some distance. The water isn't crystal clear/turquoise, but their nice clean pool made up for that. We never went to the nightly entertainment, so I can't speak for that. One of the bars does stay open at night. And the outdoor Beach Bar (just steps from the beach) stays open til around 11 or 11:30. It's a very relaxing resort & is sort of geared towards couples, so we didn't see too many 'singles' looking for action !! And it's adults only, so no kiddie noises !! The resort is also a short taxi ride away from the town of Playa del Carmen, if you wanted to go out on the town one night. OK, one more thing & I'll end this !! Capri is only about 20 minutes from the airport & that's always nice not not have an hour drive to your resort !!

I have pics of Secrets Capri if you're interested (in the folder "Cancun--Secrets Capri--May 2004&quot http://photos.yahoo.com/jmrperotto

http://www.secretsresorts.com/

Jackie
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:11 AM

I second the suggestion about Bermuda and staying at the Reefs. Many destinations in the Caribbean will take the better part of the day to get to so you would be spending valuable beach/sleep time in transit. -- especially if you are going for just a long weekend. Bermuda is less than 2 hours by plane from Washington, DC. The Reefs is a lovely hotel with its own pink beach on the south shore. You can opt for the MAP (Modified American Plan) where a full breakfast, afternoon tea and lovely dinner are included in the cost of the room. There is a spa on the premises - as well as tennis courts and the moped rental shop is right across the street. Golf can also be arranged. Bermuda is a class act that offers as much or as little as you care to do. I vacationed in Bermuda several times as a college student. My family (with our college age son) has been going back to Bermuda (we'll be staying at the Reefs in April) as often as we can make it. Have a look - it may just fit the bill.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 07:30 AM
iw

myislands....How far is Timothy Beach Resort from the Marriott in St. Kitts? Just wondering as we are there in late June.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 08:22 AM

Timothy Beach Resort is located down the street from the Marriott.

The Marriott is located on the Atlantic, and TBR is on the Caribbean.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 08:24 AM

there is an adults only club med on provo in turks and caicos that you might consider. or the wyndham sugar bay on st.thomas. both easy flights from most of the east coast.
provo is an extremely quiet island. arid, with stunning beaches and good diving, snorkeling and bonefishing. st.t is hilly, has more plants, is much busier (a whole town of duty free shopping). also good snorkeling and nice views of several other islands from sugar bay. lots of restaurants near both resorts if you wanted to dine out one night.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 09:19 AM

I am the chef of a small hotel on the tiny island of Nevis, it is a low key island, but has a fun, not cheesy or meat market night life. There are about 5 small hotels, no more than 37 rooms, and only one resort 185 rooms on our little rock. Reading in a hammock and eating really great food at all the different kinds of restaurants are our specialty. We're also one of the safest and friendliest islands in the Caribbean. Give us a try. Nevis!!!

Old Mar 10th, 2007, 12:38 PM

I wanted to follow-up about the comments made about LaSource in Grenada and LeSport in St. Lucia. First, LaSource has not re-opened yet (from renovations that they began after hurricane Ivan); I think the resort is projected to re-open in Aug or Sep. I visited LeSport in December and really enjoyed it, but I agree with another poster's comments that the travel time to St. Lucia is too long for a "long weekend", assuming this is three or four nights. Also, if you are in your 20s, you are going to be much younger than most of the guests there, if that matters. LeSport also can be pretty expensive if you are not interested in taking advantage of a lot of the included features (spa treatments, land and water sports, fitness classes, golf, etc.).

If you just are looking for a place to relax with a good beach and good food, I'd look at some of the AIs in the Dominican Republic or Mexico (Cancun or south of it). The DR is much closer to the US, and you often can get packages with charter (non-stop) air to the DR and Mexico from a lot of US cities. I stayed in the LaRomana/Bayahibe area in the DR and liked that area because it is on the Caribbean Sea, which has calmer water.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 11:44 PM

Bermuda sucks! If you've been there, then you're on your own. If not, the prices are outrageous! October 15th-April 15th you can get downright cold weather. Don't even try the mopeds. You'll pay an arm nd a leg and stand a good chance of a crash and burn. Go another thousand miles south to the caribbean. At least the people there will kiss you when they screw you.