Questions about St. Bart's

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 07:21 PM
ilana

Questions about St. Bart's

Hi,<BR><BR>I'm a 28 y.o. woman thinking of travelling alone to St. Bart's next week (short notice) and had two questions: <BR><BR>1) Is a car absolutely necessary for getting around (I'm most likely staying in St. Jean)? Are taxis available?<BR><BR>2) Is St. Bart's "too quiet" to go to alone? I'm mostly looking to relax, but don't want to feel completely isolated.<BR><BR>I've heard conflicting opinions on both questions, so any answers (even conflicting ones!) are most appreciated.<BR><BR>thanks

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 02:44 AM
Howard

You pose a couple of good questions: 1) Regarding the car - it is very nice to have, but not absolutely necessary. St. Jean's is a nice beach, so much of your beach time can be spent there. You can mix it up some by going to another beach for one or two days, plus you probably will want to go into Gustavia for at least one day. Taking taxis for these limited amount of times (2 or 3 rt's) is feasible. You will miss out exploring other beaches, but that is not a real big deal.<BR><BR>2) St. Jean's, while not party city, is lively enough, with some beachfront restaurants, watersports, etc. If you are looking to relax, it will be fine.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 04:11 AM
Paul

It might depend on how long you're planning to stay. If it's not more than a few days, then staying only in St. Jean is fine. If longer than that, you could always arrange for round-trip taxi to Gustavia if you wanted to dine or shop there. Your biggest limitation with no car will be lack of access to other beaches.<BR><BR>As for quiet, you certainly will not feel isolated at all especially in St. Jean, and you certainly will be able to relax without any hassles. It is not a jumping place in the evening, but you'll be in the midst of plenty of people throughout the day.

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 06:41 AM
ilana

Thanks so much! Appreciate the information!

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 06:46 AM
em

I would say go for the car- if you are going alone, and would like to meet people, you will want to explore other beaches and areas a bit. Don't be intimidated by the idea of driving-- you can ask for an automatic transmission---You won't feel isolated if you wish company--- but there is not really much of a "singles" scene.

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 12:46 PM
Gayle

My husband and I have been going to St. Barths for over 15 years. Trust me...you need a car. This lovely jewel of an island is hilly and has no public transportation. The most beautiful beaches are ones you have to drive to (Saline, Gouveneur, Flamands). You won't want to be stuck on St. Jean all the time. Also, you'll want to window shop (or really shop) and so you'll want to go into town. To have a drink and watch the sunset, you should go into town. (Gustavia) To drool at the yachts, you should go into town. To meet people, you'll need a car to get around. The island does not have a singles scene at all. However, that said, people are friendly and will talk to you as will the staff at most hotels, shops and restaurants. There is no night life per se and dinner is the main evening event.<BR><BR>We really love it and know it like the backs of our hands. Take a chance, give it a try. Feel free to email me with questions at [email protected]. Bon chance et bon voyage!

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 08:29 PM
Anonymous

Definitely rent a car for all of the reasons Gayle stated. St. Jean is a bustling area but it's fun to get out and explore the beautiful island scenery and vistas and go to different restaurants and beaches, at your leisure. As she said, make SURE you get an automatic or you could have problems getting up some of the hills.