Search

Question regarding Travelers Checks!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2003, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question regarding Travelers Checks!!

Hello,

We are leaving for Provo, T&C on July 1. I went out today and got our travelers checks. When I brought them home, my husband started to get me nervous because they are Visa travelers checks. Last year we went we got American Express Travelers checks.

I can not believe he has me nervous about this. I thought it was the dumbest thing I ever heard. BUt now I am wondering!!!

I tried to tell him it doesn't matter; travelers checks are travelers checks. But he said american express ones are more widely accepted. Is this true?

Also, if a place doesn't accept visa credit cards, but accepted travelers checks, would they accept the visa travelrs checks?

PLease help settle this dispute!

Thanks,

Denise
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 07:07 PM

Stay home. Please !!
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

Rusty,

May I ask why you responded that way? I agree this question is ridiculous, but he had me wondering.

If you feel to superier to answer my post, then ignore it. Why respond the way you did? What could I have gained by reading it?

This is a message board for people to get information. I understand that my question sounds silly, but again, I am just getting paranoid.

Geez. What the heck is your problem?
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 02:27 AM
RBO

Actually this is not as silly question as some of you may think. AAA now has Visa TC and we had a problem cashing them in two places in Belize. Thanks for ATM cards. After we returned home we deposited all those useless Visa TC in our checking account. I wondered why AAA changed its supplier of TC
We use TC only as an emergency but recently we simply went to our bank and got American Express familiar looking TC for our trip. If Visa's TC make your husband so uncomfortable tell him to get American Express TC from the bank on Monday when you deposit Visas in your checking account. Have a great trip
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 03:18 AM
RBO

I just read some posts on the US board and now I understand Rusty's answer

Rusty
Date: 04/26/2003, 09:07 pm
Message: Is it possible to get short term cell phone sevice while visiting Hawaii for two or three weeks?

Author: Love2Travel
Date: 06/27/2003, 11:54 pm

Old Jun 28th, 2003, 06:21 AM

Impressive sleuthing, RBO.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 06:57 AM

Love2travel; Here's what I do. Tap in T&C, and you'll get toll free numbers of hotels, resorts, rental boat companies, businesses, restaurants, etc. Call them and tell them your predicament and concerns. You'd be surprised how people everywhere have an innate desire to help someone in need. I called a restaurant with the same question in Nevis, and the girl who answered worked as a waitress. She told me she works in a gift shop there, too, and answered all my questions about traveler's checks, cashier's checks, the most popular credit cards, where the greatest beaches are and snorkeling areas, what kind of dinner-time and shopping specials that were going on when we were arriving, etc. You'll get a list of dozens of toll free numbers in T&C. Robert
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 08:13 AM
caribtraveler

actually rbo..
if you look at the time when love2travel posted that response on the u.s. board to rusty the "stay home" one...it was AFTER he posted that not so nice reply to her on this board.

Old Jun 28th, 2003, 08:20 AM

We used Visa TC's all over Jamaica without any problem - everyone recognizes the Visa name, I think.

AAA told me (I asked also) that they switched because Amex competes with them in terms of travel agency services.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Actually, I posted that response to Rusty "Stay home" after I saw how he replied to me. Check the times on the post and you will see that.

I wanted him to realize that there is no such thing as a stupid question, and it s-u-c-k-s when someone gives a nasty response when you are looking for advice.

Childish on my part, I agree. But he really annoyed me when I was just trying to get some informative answers.

And thanks to the other posters who responded to me. I think I will call the resort and make sure they cash the Visa TC.

Thanks again.

Denise
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 08:38 AM

Glad that you were able to get help on this board. Unfortunately there are some posters who seem to delight creating one line insults without taking into account the age of their "victim" or the circumstances behind their question. You are not the first or the last to be bitten by Rusty...... Enjoy your trip!
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 11:24 AM

It's been my experience and that of my friends that cashing a Visa or AmEx travelers checque is immaterial. However, if you should happen to lose them, AmEx cheques are much easier to replace than Visa. Since the advent of ATMs I have used TCs less and less frequently, but when I do I use AmEx because of their ease in replacing them when lost or stolen.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, retired teacher and ejcrowe, for your replies.

I am all set and ready to go. Our resort does indeed cash these TC.

Thanks again. Will post a report shortly after we return on July 8.

Denise