Search

Question for Tweedy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 01:36 PM
freewoman

Question for Tweedy

Do you have an opinion on Club Viva Fortuna? I have been reading posts on a lot of boards trying to decide about the place and I am finding that a lot of people go there every year, love it and highly recommend it while a lot of people say "stay away" and that it is a dump.<BR><BR>I know you post quite a bit about the Bahamas, and I would value your opinion on this place.<BR><BR>Thanks.

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 11:46 AM
tweedy

Hi glad to be of help.<BR><BR>I have not stayed at Club Viva Fortuna, but have heard both good and bad reviews of the resort. <BR><BR>I do know that it is a bit of a distance from restaurants and shopping, but right on a nice beach.<BR><BR>Two good buddies of mine on the www.bahamas.com board, Carrie and Danny know Grand Bahama Island really well and can give you lots of good info on what to see and do and best eats.<BR><BR>Also you might try the www.bahamas-mon.com board and "kalik" on the Freeport page for more info.<BR><BR>I hope you did not "win" one of those "free" vacation trips to Grand Bahama, they are come-ons for time shares and are a big rip-off.<BR><BR>Hope this has been helpful and please let me know if I can answer any other questions you might have.<BR><BR>tweedy

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 01:02 PM
tweedy

Hi glad to be of help.<BR><BR>I have not stayed at Club Viva Fortuna, but have heard both good and bad reviews of the resort. <BR><BR>I do know that it is a bit of a distance from restaurants and shopping, but right on a nice beach.<BR><BR>Two good buddies of mine on the www.bahamas.com board, Carrie and Danny know Grand Bahama Island really well and can give you lots of good info on what to see and do and best eats.<BR><BR>Also you might try the www.bahamas-mon.com board and "kalik" on the Freeport page for more info.<BR><BR>I hope you did not "win" one of those "free" vacation trips to Grand Bahama, they are come-ons for time shares and are a big rip-off.<BR><BR>Hope this has been helpful and please let me know if I can answer any other questions you might have.<BR><BR>tweedy

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 04:08 PM
freewoman

Thanks Tweedy for the info. I will check out your suggestions.<BR><BR>No, I did not win a trip. I booked this some time ago as I was looking for a place for my daughter, her husband, their baby, her mother-in-law and myself to go and enjoy a beach. We chose this place for several reasons: 1) it was very inexpensive and since I am paying for three of us that was a consideration; 2) since I am paying, I thought it would be easier to do an AI; and 3) the main reason is it is close. None of us wanted to be stuck too long on a plane with a little one and when I booked the trip she was only a few weeks old. As it turns out she is a good traveler and a really happy baby, but it would be nice not to be on the plane all day.<BR><BR>Since I booked the trip, I have been wandering on some of the boards and it seems the posts are all over the place as to the quality of the property. <BR><BR>I told my daughter today that we will just expect the worse and make the best of it. Then if it's not bad, we will be pleasantly surprised. I guess sometimes when you get lemons, you have to make lemonade!!<BR><BR>We are going in June and I'll let you know our opinion when we return. If it turns out to be a decent place, it will be good for times when I want a really inexpensive getaway.

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 05:34 PM
tweedy

Yes, I have heard the same thing about the resort, but cheap.....is good sometimes, and really how bad can it really be? It is still in business. Grand Bahama Island does have some fun things to see and do, and Carrie and Danny can really give you the high points that should not be missed. The only thing is you are pretty far from everything so you may need to rent a car to see some of the sites. There is also a local "bus" system, that I have taken and works very well, runs all day long. After sunset you have to have a car or take a taxi. Also make sure you negotiate the price of a taxi trip BEFORE you get in the taxi. <BR><BR>I do know the beach a CVF is very nice and since you are far from most of the other resorts, the beach is not at all crowded.<BR><BR>June will bet HOT, so you will need to bring gallons of sun block and use it frequently. The sun in the Bahamas is strong, I have learned that from past sunburns. Since I tend to burn, blister, peel and fade (you notice I did not mention tan).....lol, I have learned to be careful.<BR><BR>Enjoy your trip and please let me know how it goes.<BR><BR>tweedy