Reload this Page >

Question for the hotel industry..

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 07:13 AM
Imsmallbut

..why so few queen beds? In light of all the families traveling together, why don't more resorts have queen beds instead of doubles? 2 people in a double bed is such a tight squeeze. I'm sure cost is a factor but come on, I've seen doubles even at the high cost "luxury" resorts.<BR><BR>This is a plea to the hotel industry, furnish rooms with queen beds, doubles are too small!!!!

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 08:54 AM
Mel

Just request a king bed as most hotels have those.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 11:04 AM
Comfort

the only place you find small double beds is in Europe. Have had kings in every hotel since I first went to the caribbean over 20 stays! Doubles at high end resorts-not many or 2 double beds! Just ask!

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 11:15 AM
Imsmallbut

You misunderstood, I'm talking about traveling with kids. A room with a King, which we would of course request when it's just the 2 of us, would not work when we take the kids.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 11:28 AM
islander

You also posted this on the US site - this is obviously a passionate issue for you...take heart - in most of the islands, if you ask for a queen bed, it is likely that your request would be accomodated...personally I have not had an issue with the size of a bed in a hotel room whether travelling solo or with my other half - I always request a king or two doubles but with kids I could see whether a queen would be more comfortable

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 11:44 AM
Imsmallbut

It is. I went on 3 trips the summer, to the caribbean and the US, and was disappointed to find lots of doubles. I just think that for the prices one pays for luxury resorts, they shouldn't skimp on comfort by offering small beds. From now on when we travel with the kids I won't even consider a place that doesn't have queens.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 01:57 PM
Ronnie

I believe that the reasons are first, not enough room for two queens, or second, hopefully you will take one room with a king for yourselves and have an adjoining room with the doubles for the kids. They are trying to sell rooms.<BR>Ronnie

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 04:46 AM
Sue

Why didn't you ask your travel agent prior to booking what type of room you were getting? Even if you booked yourself why didn't you ask before you booked? Also, if travelling with kids get a suite which has much more room.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 05:30 AM
Justine

Get serious folks. This is all about money. Whether in the US or not. Hotels do not want a family to all stay in one room when children are 5 or older. The only Queen beds that I have found in rooms are at disney Resorts. Even Ritz Carltons who have sofa's in the rooms go out of their way to make sure that it is not a pull down sofa. Good thing you are not travelling to London. With fire code issues there in the city, only 3 people can stay in one room. Trust me I travell extensively and it all boils down to the almighty BUCK.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 06:50 AM
cdt

We have taken numerous trips with children and we have learned that a "queen" isn't always a queen.<BR><BR>At US-based chain properties (Holiday Inn, Comfort Inn, etc.), if they call it a queen bed, it generally is.<BR><BR>At independent hotels in the Caribbean, you may find that what they call a queen is what you call a double.<BR><BR>

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 08:54 AM
Imsmallbut

cdt is absouletly right. we found many hotels in the caribbean that said they had queens and advertised queens but were in fact doubles.<BR><BR>Oh and I'm sure they want to sell more rooms, but at $ 400 or $ 500 a pop for an extra room every night, we aren't about to spend the $10,000 a week a family vacation is going to cost with 2 rooms. I love how people come on this site and say "Oh just get another room". Frankly, my husband makes a darn good income as the VP of a large corporation and it's still not enough to spend extravagently on trips, especially since we like to take several every year.<BR><BR>Are most of you on this site named Rocefeller, or Gates? Sure wish I had all your money...

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 08:56 AM
Imsmallbut

misspelled Rockefeller, but you get the point...

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 09:34 AM
xxx

SERVERAL TRIPS A YEAR!!!!!!!!!!<BR><BR>Why the hell are you complaining then???<BR>If we could afford to take several trips a year I'm damn sure I wouldn't complain about having to sleep in a double bed instead of a queen bed.<BR>GET A LIFE AND GET YOUR PRIORITIES IN ORDER!!!!!!!!

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 09:42 AM
X

Do I hear a hint of jealousy?

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 09:52 AM
chris

Why don't you name the properties that had the inferior bedding? I've travelled to many islands and have never encountered doubles instead of queens or kings. It must be the type of places you are staying (or the island)...

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 09:59 AM
me too

I think you don't have pre-teen kids if you've never noticed this problem. In the U.S., everything from Marriotts to the Grand Cypress Hyatt Orlando have two doubles instead of queens. At Atlantis, only the Royal Tower has queens; the Coral and Beach are doubles. And sure, a suite works great, IF you have two same sex kids that can share the other king or pull-out couch! And connecting rooms are even better since you get two bathrooms, IF you can affort it. This is a real problem, and certainly puts the damper on family vacations - whether it's several a year or one every other - once your kids reach adult size and adult price!!!<BR>

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 10:15 AM
lawren

Just back from the Lake Placid Hilton Resort.Had to take 2 double beds. The MOST uncomfortable bed I have ever slept in. If they weren't so bad we would have stayed longer. As it was 3 nights was all we could stand.<BR><BR>We have also stayed at the Westin in St John. Doubles. BUT the most comfortable bed we've ever slept in. I've already decided my next mattress purchase is going to be the Weston's Heavenly bed.<BR><BR>While we're on the subject of bedding....what about those things that hotels call "pillows"? They are either pancakes or rocks.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 10:15 AM
chris

I've never been to a hotel/resort in the Caribbean that misrepresented the size of its beds. It sounds like you didn't do your homework.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 10:24 AM
hmmm

Well, Chris, you must have stayed at every resort in the Caribbean, I guess. We need more folks like you, to monitor this board, make unfounded accusations. Thanks ever so much.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 10:29 AM
chris

Name a resort that misrepresented the size of its beds. That way we can avoid those places.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -