Question about VI Accomodations!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2003, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could really use some feedback on where to stay in the Virgin Islands. We're wanting a private atomsphere with a pool and a beach. The beach is a MUST. And I cannot seem to find a place that is on the beach that isn't one of those all-family atmospheres. Were looking for a place for our honeymoon, so you can understand why we would like a more layed back, romantic atmosphere rather than sharing the pool with 60 children. Also looking for a place with a nice room, possibly a suite. Meal plans included a plus. Any help or opinions will be greatly appreciated!!!
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 07:29 AM

Do you have any idea which island you wish to stay on?<BR>There are no places where children are expressly forbidden that I know of but here are my sugggestions....<BR>On St Croix, I'd go for the Buccaneer. It's a beautiful resort and you can have all the privacy you need. Their &quot;Beachside Doubloons&quot; are gorgeous and they have honeymoon and romance packages.<BR>On St Thomas, I'd suggest either the Ritz which is upscale and lovely but the beach is small or Secret Harbour which is a small all condo resort on a fabulous quiet beach. The snorkeling right off the beach is excellent. It's quiet and private and the service is top notch.http://www.secretharbourvi.com/<BR>On St John, I'd choose Caneel Bay. You can stay on one of their seven beaches and often feel as though you are the only one's in the resort. http://www.caneelbay.com/<BR>All of these resorts have pools but keep in mind that in the Virgin Islands the star of the show is always the beach. Pools are secondary and you won't generally find the kind of elaborate pools that other resort destinations have. <BR>I have only given you suggestions for the USVI, please let us know if you're interested in the British Virgin Islands.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 09:42 AM

You might be happier and find more options looking at the BVI. Peter Island beachfront rooms are lovely and Biras Creek is small and intimate with no children. Both have pools although Peter Island's is larger. Briar's accomodations are not on a swimming beach but overlook a nice walking beach and they provide bikes to go to the swimming beach. They also provide complimentary Boston whalers to putt about North Sound so you can find your own private beach. Guana Island may suit and Cooper Island is a good alternate also. The Ritz has a nice pool and is a great destination on St. Thomas but Caneel is the only option on St. John. Some of their accomodations are footsteps from the water and not all are on the beach. A small pool but with beaches and water like there no one uses the pool. They have a meal plan but Cruz Bay is a short taxi ride away for alternate dining and a bit of excitement.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 10:58 AM

I have to second KaribIslander's suggestions: The BVI are probably a better match for you. Most of the resorts are smaller than on the USVI, which means you may have a total of only 30-120 guests on the entire property.<BR><BR>Biras Creek on Virgin Gorda is very nice; I love having the use of the whalers and the bicycles to go all over the property. The pool area is nice, and there's a lounging beach in addition to a beach for walking and looking for shells. The food is also good there. They have regular rooms up to very deluxe two bedroom suites. Look at their website www.biras.com<BR><BR>Peter Island, a private island, is also very nice, but I think it's a little larger than Biras. Then again, since it's a private island of about 1800 acres, that still leaves an average of more than 10 acres per guest. I believe that off-island excursions is easier from Peter Island because in at least one of their packages they include numerous boat transfers.<BR><BR>I love Guana Island (and will be there for my honeymoon in June), but it doesn't have a pool. Which is okay for me since there are six beaches there and the water is so gorgeous to swim and snorkel in. Also good food. I don't think there are any suites there, though. www.guana.com<BR><BR>Let us know where you decide. You'll have a great time no matter where it is--your vacation is what you make it, after all!
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 07:11 AM

Don't go to the Buccaneer on St. Croix. It loved the resort and had a great time there, but it is NOT ideal for a honeymoon. It is a family atmosphere. There were too many kids there for my tastes. The food is good, accomodations are nice, service is outstanding, etc., but you will have to share the beach, pools and restaurants with lots of kids.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 10:25 AM
lcv

We just returned from the Buccaneer and loved it - WITH our 2 young children. Lots of kids!!!!<BR><BR>We've been to Caneel WITHOUT the kids and fell in love with it. Get an Oceanfront room at the Turtle Beach building and you are on the beach - sleeping to the sounds of the waves. Fabulous! Just keep in mind that you're paying for the uncrowded acres of property, great service and the five beautiful beaches - NOT for ultra-luxurious bathrooms. Although, we did have the most comfortable bed imaginable! One of the beaches is off-limits to families with kids and they actually try to keep all kids at one beach. If you plan to eat mostly at the hotel, their meal plan is a good value. Note: There is not a lot of nightlife on St. John. If that is a concern, you may want to choose another island.<BR><BR>In my research for trips, I think I read that Biras Creek (BVI) did not allow children.<BR><BR>Happy hunting!