Grand Cayman or Curacao?

Search

Grand Cayman or Curacao?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2005, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Cayman or Curacao?

Unfortunately, Hurricane Wilma has forced my husband and me to change our plans to go to Cancun in late Jan./early Feb., so we are now debating between going to Grand Cayman or Curacao instead. I have already read a little on GC and a lot on Curacao. Our primary interest is to relax, and both islands meet the requirement of great beaches and snorkeling, but it seems like there are a lot of non-beach options on Curacao, which is also appealing. Airfare to GC is approx. $220 cheaper total than to Curacao, and we plan to rent a car for at least a couple of days on the latter island, which would also increase the cost, but I'm also aware of GC's expensive reputation. We would be using Marriott points in either case, so the hotel expense would not be an issue. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 01:37 PM

The water in GC is a scuba diver's or snorkers dream. However, I personally would opt for Curacao. I can gaurantee you a spectacular vacation. The food is good and there is so much to do. Airfare is more expensive, but it's much more of a charming island. You are right in renting a car and exploring the island. We had an extraordinary experience with the locals who were very generous to us. Very sociable people. Curacao is our favorite Caribbean island!
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 06:21 AM

Another vote for Curacao, we loved it and we've also been to Cayman and a lot of other islands. Very European/Caribbean, great restaurants and history, wonderful beaches, good snorkeling. I personally was not in love with Grand Cayman, was not that impressed with 7 Mile Beach and it seemed like Florida to me. Very Americanized and more expensive than Curacao. Check out the Marriott, it is a great value and a wonderful resort.
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 09:33 AM

Another vote for Curacao. The dining-LaRousse, DeHerren, Avalon are 1st rate.We eat at the Portofino one evening and had a poor quality meal even though we had different appetizers and entrees.I would eat there again at half the price.
The hurricanes this season left Curacao in much better shape if you are going in the next 2-4 months.
We are avid snorkelers (Belize, Honduras, St. John, Great Exuma,Grand Cayman, Bonaire, Fiji,etc.) and while St. John is above them all at the West End of Curacao, a 30-40 minute drive from Marriott there are a series of coves with very good snorkeling equal to Grand Cayman. If diving is important then Grand Cayman is somewhat better. But the dining is only fair and more expensive than Curacao.
Klein Knip is one of the best coves on the West End for snorkeling along the boulders off the beach but there are a series of coves, several different within 5-6 miles of each other.
I would say the sightseeing on all of Curacao could be done in 5-6 hours and on Grand Cayman in 3-4 (Sting Ray City, Turtle Farm and lots of hotels).
Hope this helps.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 07:38 AM

Hi all. I also am trying to decide between Grand Cayman or Curacao for a snorkeling trip. Great snorkeling is the only thing I care about. Not really interested in the sight-seeing. I can use Marriott points for either location. From the reading that I've done on-line, it appears that the Caymens are better for diving, and Curacao is better for snorkeling? Does everyone agree with this? I'm looking for the best snorkeling location in February. Please help. Thanks so much! Michele
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 08:52 AM
owa

micheleduggan, I can only give you my snorkeling experience on Grand Cayman which was last month. It could be quite different for someone else. We talked to other tourist that were disappointed in the snorkeling and decided that GC must be more for divers. If you go, Eden Rocks and Smith's cove were our favorite. At Eden Rocks we went almost out to where the cruise ships dock.

We would never go back to GC for the snorkeling . Read my Vieques trip report.
Owa

Old Dec 13th, 2005, 09:24 AM

I don't know much about Curacao snorkelling, but there are many, many locations for great snorkelling in Cayman. To me as a local, neither Eden Rock or Smiths Cove would make my top ten list of snorkelling spots. To Owa, sorry you didn't enjoy the snorkelling, next time to Cayman check with me and I will have our watersports guys give you some more sites to check.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 10:14 AM
KVR

We've been to Grand Cayman pre Ivan, but not Curacao. Have been to other Islands though, and to date Grand Cayman is still our favorite Island for snorkeling along with Cozumel. We hope to return to Grand Cayman in the future.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 06:33 PM
anonxx

Love the snorkeling on Grand Cayman, but we skipped Eden Rock and Smith's Cove. Do a search on google and you will find many maps and snorkeling spots. We also enjoyed snorkeling in St. John, but much preferred GC.

Old Dec 14th, 2005, 02:24 AM
owa

After the fact, would any of you tell us where we went wrong with snorkeling on GC. I had long lists and many lists of snorkeling sites from the net. We also asked at the dive shops while we were on the island, but never were told any sites that I didn't already have. Other than the Stingray City tour, we only did off the shore snorkeling. Was that where we went wrong? Should we have booked some tours for reefs far out? I'm really curious. It was very windy on the east end while we were there. Is that where the best snorkeling is?

Tom and Annox and anyone else please name the locations you have found to be great. Thanks, Owa

Old Dec 14th, 2005, 09:17 AM

Owa, hold that thought... remind me in a couple of weeks time and I will be able to point you towards a snorkelling map with 50 sites around all of Grand Cayman. It will be online for you to peruse. Can't say anymore right now, it is a secret project
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 03:35 AM

As I mentioned in an earlier post GC is a divers paradise but snorkeling is just o'k the past 5-6 years.
The West End of Curacao has 6-8 coves with better snorkeling than GC. Yes, it is a 40 minute drive from town and 30 minutes from the Marriott but you can go twice for 3-4 hours each and not be bored.At Sta, #1 Beach there is a fellow who runs you around in a speed boat to several spots for $10-$15/person for 2-3 hours.
Off the beach of the bays I referenced, especially Klien Knip, the snorkeling is quite good.
Nothing in the Caribbean equals St. John though but unless you stay in a private villa with a beach or Caneel Bay Resort the beaches on St. John are not even as nice as Curacao.
From Jan.-May the weather is very nice in Curacao with little rain but with global warming history may not be repeated.
As I mentioned in the earlier post the food choices in Curacao are excellent-probably 6-7 really good places to eat at $35-$50/person tops for a 3 course.
dinner.
The Sea Acqarium Resort on the East End is a little out of the way and sometimes hard to get into because it has only 50-60 units but it is well run, quite and in good condition.But with a Hertz car it is not really inconvenient and it is 25% less than the Marriott but it has no real beach right there but a nice pool.
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 09:11 AM

Thanks all for the wonderful feedback. I've also spoken to some dive shops around the Atlanta area that have gone to both places, and they recommended Curacao for snorkeling and Grand Caymen for diving. They thought that Bonaire had the best snorkeling but I can't stay there with Marriott points. If I can't use my Delta points to Curacao, then I will definitely go to Grand Cayman.