Search

Puerto Rico Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2006, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Puerto Rico Trip Report

Just returned last night. Here's my report
Flew to SJ and rented a car at Avis - which turned out to be important as we spent the first three nights at El Conquistador and could park free in their Avis lot. We really liked this place and are grateful for the recommendation we got from the forum.

We spent a half day at El Yunque which was great and the afternoon at Liquillo Beach which worked well.

We left the car in the Avis lot at El Conquistador and flew to Vienues. Spent the night at Martineau Bay. Nice but way overpriced and we had stuff stolen from poolside. Silly stuff like sunblock but also prescription sunglasses. Rented a jeep and it is a must. We had a great time finding secluded beaches and driving the island. We took the Bio Bay tour and it was amazing. The water was warm and very salty and like being in liquid stars. Afterwards we went to the TradeWinds and had a late dinner. The best Piaia I've ever had and they only make it on Sunday night.

We flew back to Fajardo picked up our car from El Conquistador lot and set off to Ponce. In Ponce we just hit the Holiday Inn. Not bad for the price. We went to an Argentina restaurant with both inside and outside dining. I'm searching for my charge slip to give the name. This was one of our very best meals and wonderful service as well.

We drove from Ponce over the mountains. Amazing S curved roads. Too small for cars to go both directions. We are so glad we did this. It was breathtaking and terrifying as the huge trucks would honk their horns and come barreling around these sharp curves as we wedged our car against the mountain.

We stopped as suggested at a roadside stand for lunch and when our daughter ordered in spanish the people sitting there applauded her! The food was excellent!

We spend our last three nights in SJ at the Hilton Caribe. Very nice beach. Do be careful in SJ. Our car was broken into in the parking ramp of the hotel - even though nothing was in the car. They stole the knobs off the dashboard! We did go to Pamelas for dinner one evening and I agree with other posters that it is very very good. The presentation and service was amazing.

Many thanks for the info others posted that helped with this trip.
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 04:35 PM

Thank you for your enthusiastic trip report. I especially enjoyed reading it with my first trip to PR in mind, coming up in May.
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 05:46 PM

Thanks for the info. If you could help, with some addtnl info: Which airline did you take to go to Vieques -How much and do they have many flights in a day. We will be doing the same going, from Fajardo to Vieques. We are going to stay at Martineau bay for 3 nights. Sorry to hear that you lose your stuff at Martineau. It is frustrating when your glasses is gone-it happened to me years ago in Montreal. Which tour group did you go with for the Biobay tour. We will also be at Conquistador hotel. Do you have a recommendation for an ocean view room request in the Marina section or the Olas? I heard that one section is better than the other? Newer & perhaps more convenient? Do they charge for parking fee? Thanks for your help.
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 01:00 AM

Dancingqueen, do you remember the names of the Argentinian restaurant and the roadside stand you ate at?
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 04:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Dancing Queen: We are going in April to the Caribe Hilton. Which area of the hotel did you stay in? Was it nice? I have heard there are some areas that have been renovated and some that have not.
Your car was broken into at the Caribe?
You say the water was very salty? Funny. We went almost 20 years ago and I was snorkeling somewhere(boat took us off the island) and I got salt in my eyes and was blinded the entire time. I had to sit on the boat and flush my eyes out. It was awful. I have never had that experience anywhere else. We were looking foward to snorkeling again in PR. I guess I better make sure my mask fits tight!
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 03:11 AM

We just got back from Ponce, PR last night.

The Argentinian restaurant is Rincon Argentino a block ot two from the plaza on Calle Salud. We actually had dinner there several years ago but ate inside. The outside dining is definitely better for the atmosphere alone - warm nights, music, white lights splashed everywhere. Food was good - we had the churrasco, Argentinian wine, cheescake on a dense chocolate brownie with whipped cream and great robust coffee.

Pito's is a great place for typical PR seafood choices and a margarita with a view.

La Cava at the Hilton is a good choice for a special dinner. Service was a bit off on Chistmas Eve but food was excellent.