Search

Puerto Rico or Cancun

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 08:24 AM
Debbie

Puerto Rico or Cancun

I can't decide whether to visit Puerto Rico or Cancun in May. We have been to Cancun. Never been to Puerto Rico. Is Puerto Rico worth it to visit? Please advise. Thanks.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 12:16 PM
Lawren

Debbie, I have not been to Cancun but have been to PR numerous times. It would help to say who you are going with, what you are looking for in your vacation, how long you are staying for and where you are traveling from in order to get valid advice.<BR><BR>I have been to Mexico twice ( Acapulco and Puerto Vallarta) and would not chose to go there again. Although I know people that swear by both. I find the country depressing and the food miserable. The $ goes far however...<BR><BR>I have stayed in Old San Juan at El Convento ( loved it ) in San Juan at the Caribe Hilton ( loved it ) and twice at the Doral Palmas del Mar in Humacao ( loved it ). There will be afternoon showers in PR that last about 20 minutes.<BR><BR>L

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 02:58 PM
Dave

We prefer Puerto Rico. But you didn't state what you're looking to do. Cancun is more for teenagers and the college crowd party-animals, in my opinion.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 08:15 PM
joyce

Mayan Riviera South of Cancun in my opinion, or Cancun if you like shopping malls, bars, discos and every resturant known to man.<BR>I have never found anything in Puerto Rico I wanted to see again.<BR>Have been to Cancun and Mayan Riviera 10 times.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 04:04 AM
Gail

Puerto Rico has a rich history, great beaches, the rain forest, and great little towns. There's also good night life and great food. Cancun was built specifically for tourists. NO history-OK beaches, but a LOT of fun.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 12:13 PM
Dee

Have been to Cancun three times, PR twice. Love Cancun for the beautiful blue water, good food, and good exchange rate. Have stayed at the Krystal (party hotel--stay away) and at the FA Condesa the other times (great pool!!!). I am not a college student or party animal, but a wife and mom, and have never had problems there. Just don't go during spring break and you'll be fine (the rates go down in April and last through November). PR is not as clean or safe and the people are not as nice, but the food is divine and it really depends on where you're staying if you want to have a good experience.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 06:30 AM
tom

Haven't been to Cancun (just doesn't appeal to me) but have been to PR numerous times. It has just about anything anyone could want in a vacation. If you like a city-type vacation with a beach, San Juan and Isla Verde specifically, fits the bill. If you want a more secluded resort feel, their are several options including Wyndham El COnquistador, the Hyatts and the Westin. If you want something on a smaller scale, there are many paradores throughout the island.<BR><BR>Plus, I have always found the Puerto Rican people to be very friendly.

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 06:55 PM
debbie

Thank you so much everyone!<BR>Debbie