Reload this Page >

Pro's and Con's on St.Lucia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 01:16 PM
Greg

My wife and I are considering a trip to St.Lucia in January 2002. We are not very familiar with the island, although most of the comments we have reviewed are positive.<BR><BR>We will be looking for a vaction including a lot of relaxation as well as island tours.<BR><BR>If anyone has any comments relating to the pro's and con's, travel tips or information relating to resorts and expenses on St.Lucia we would appreciate hearing any opinions?<BR><BR>We have also been to Aruba and Barbados and are interested in how St.Lucia would compare with these islands?<BR><BR>Thank you.

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 03:08 PM
lisa

Pros: Gorgeous scenery, mountains, rainforest, lots of waterfalls and tropical foliage, very relaxing, extraordinary &amp; unique accommodations options (Ladera, Anse Chastanet, Jalousie Hilton), very good food, not very touristy or built up commercially, some pretty good snorkeling at Anse Chastanet (and diving too I've heard, although we didn't do that), some pretty beaches although not as many as on some other islands. <BR>Cons: Relatively expensive, bad roads, not a lot of shopping/nightlife/activity (if you care about that -- we didn't -- we loved it), most beaches are dark volcanic sand except for some where they've imported white sand (we didn't mind that either).

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 08:34 PM
Kim

I agree with all Lisa'a Pro but not her con's. The roads are not that bad have seen worse, We shopped like crazy while we were there, expensive " you get what you pay for". Night life was lacking but we did a Sunset Cruise and had a blast.

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 03:54 AM
Kay

Hi Greg:<BR><BR>I agree with Lisa for the pros and Kim with her comments about cons. YOu should do a seach on St Lucia and you can read past comments. I ahve my trip report and pictures on my web site. E-mail me if you would like the address.

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 04:07 AM
penny

Another comment-I think it depends on which end you stay on, so I agree with the road comment. We have been to many islands and the roads on St. Lucia are very very windy,narrow and steep! We stayed at Jalousie and did not rent a jeep, the beach had black bottom so I missed the blue and green water that I love, but the water was very siky and oh! those sunsets. Shopping ?Where? non existant but I did not miss it. we never got to Castries, so I cannot comment on that end of the island.<BR>All in all St. Lucia is very tropical, loved the Pitons, toured the gardesn waterfall, and volcano, toured from the water, bat cave and Soufere(very 3rd world) and hey some love to hike the Pitons.

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 04:27 AM
Lizzie

Lisa is absolutely correct about how expensive the island is, at least if you're staying in Soufriere. Yes, you do get what you pay for, but be warned. For us this wasn't a problem, for some it may be. I would say it's much more expensive than Aruba, but of course this depends on where you stay. Eating at Jalousie Hilton or Ladera is an expensive proposition, although quite lovely. And leaving either place via taxi negates any savings on dinner! We stayed at the Hilton and LOVED it. What a fantastic vacation. There are myriad tours of the island - we took a half day tour of the rainforest which was a lot of fun; the tour guide was great. I know there are tours of the entire island, and you could also hire a driver to take you around for a day or half day. People staying at the Hilton took a water taxi up to Castries to go shopping. There are also tours of the volcano and the botanical gardens, hikes up one of the pitons, mountain biking, and sailing options. My boyfriend dove every day - this was arranged by the Hilton. Our accomodations couldn't have been better - villa with plunge pool and views of the mountains and the ocean.<BR><BR>That said, if you are looking for nightlife, don't stay at the Hilton, Ladera, or Anse! That wasn't what we were looking for either, and we were quite happy. Others may not be.<BR><BR>I wholeheartedly recommend St. Lucia. And - one tip - if you stay at the Hilton and fly into the north side of the island, take a helicopter to the south side!!<BR><BR>Lizzie

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 05:56 AM
Beth

Ditto Ditto Ditto!<BR>This forum has a lot of great info about the island that should help you.<BR><BR>My husband and I also stayed at the Jalousie Hilton on the southern side of the islsand (Soufriere.) If you want relaxation - I would definitely head there, rather than the north. We did venture up north (flew in there too) one day to check it out and see the flea market. Nothing special... <BR><BR>Soufriere is quiet, peaceful and less inhabited. The Jalousie had a wonderful staff, beautiful rooms and a spa too! So if you want to talk relaxation... try a carribean massage!!<BR><BR>As for island tours - they are plentiful - depends what you want. We chose to do a few: also did the sunset cruise, went on a jeep safari which took us into the rainforest with a wonderful tourguide "Tony"... once up there, we actually hiked down through the rainforest and got to swim in some waterfalls...., we also took a trip to the Botanical Gardens and the Volcano. Lots to see, but only if you want to - and the south is just gorgeous and tropical.<BR><BR>Have fun!!<BR>Beth

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 08:05 PM
Greg

Thank you all for your comments you have been a big help!!