Search

Posting from Curacao

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Posting from Curacao

Hi all, we landed yesterday on Curacao and, as is my usual pattern, I will be posting every so often to report on our trip. We rented a compact car from Alamo ($219/week - internet). Of course we got totally lost finding our hotel from the airport. You are given a very nice map, which made no sense to me at all. But that's the nice thing about islands, you can't get too lost. There are a lot of small side streets and one way streets. But eventually we found our way to the Royal Sea Aquarium Resort.

Check in was seamless and our room has a small balcony overlooking the Sea Aquarium, so we can watch the dolphins. The lobby has an awesome coffee machine where you can choose espresso, capucchino, etc. anytime you want. We opted for the cheapest room ($240/night), but it was plenty comfortable. Two double beds a bathroom, tub/shower, separate sink area and walk in closet with safe. There is small kitchenette with a small microwave and fridge. There is A/C which we use during the day, but at night we turned it off and had a heavenly 10 hour sleep with the balcony door open to the sound of the waves. No bugs - hallelujah! But the best part is the pool area. There are three wicker "beds" each with their own white canopy tent free for the guests to use. My hubby and I are ensconsed on one right now. There is almost never anyone here in the pool area and that is where I am writing from, since there is wireless internet here.

Last night we walked over to the Lion's Dive and had dinner at Hemmingway's. I am a mojito freak and they served me the best mojito (OK, let's be honest - mojito's, PLURAL) I have ever had, even better than my own! I had a great Cobb salad, which had tender sirloin and fantastic Danish blue cheese and Georg had chicken saltimboca (sp?). We each had two drinks and the meals and it came to $65 US. A trio serenaded us with mellow music, Sade, Mariah, etc. It's a great setting and we will definitely be back.

I was, in fact, back the next morning for my workout at the fitness club. Royal Resorts offers a week's admission for $20. Nice little club, air conditioned, thank goodness. We drove to the local supermarket and picked up some staples for our little kitchen. It is only a five minute, easy drive. Picked up some nice cheese, bread, rum and Curacao liquor - haven't had it but gotta try it.

We'll try to veg today and maybe see a little of the island tomorrow. Feel free to ask any questions, I'll try to answer them.

Danke (thanks) for reading.
Maggi
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 11:57 AM

Hi, We are contemplating Curacao in late November. Last year we went to Aruba(first time back in 15 years) and did not care for how commercial it has become. Seems like the island acquired some attitude with its popularity. How are you finding Curacao?
Bob
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 02:22 PM
KVR

Hi Maggie, I was just thinking about you and if you made it to Curacao. Glad you're having a good time.

What did you think of the Lion's Dive? Did you take any pictures for me? We are eventually going to make it there someday.

Would love to hear about any activies you did and other places you ate at and of course seeing all the pictures.

Can't wait for your next post. Keep them coming.
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 04:42 PM

Enjoy the rest of your trip. We found it to be a scenic island. The roads are not well marked, but if you check your map carefully before you head out to the Sea Aquarium Park and all the other fun spots, you will do just fine with the driving.
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Rhmuir, since we have not been to Aruba, it's hard for me to answer your question until the end of our week here. If you keep up with my posts perhaps you will find the answer to your question. Today, being our first full day here, so far we are happy with our vacation choice for this spring. From what I have read, Curacao is not as "commercial" as Aruba has surely become (probably way more so since you were last there.)

KVR, I have been thinking about you too, knowing you were considering Lion's Dive. I had reservations at Lion's Dive before I switched to the Royal Sea Aquarium. I am happy we did so, only because this place is nearly deserted (even though the online reservations list it as being "sold out&quot. For example, at the moment I am on "our" outdoor cabana and there is no one else around the pool area. In the background I can hear the Cuban salsa music coming from Lion's Dive across the lagoon. We just came from dinner there, a Cuban buffet for $20 a person. It was great - and we love Lion's Dive, I just prefer sleeping here because every room is oceanfront and, again, it is more peaceful. Having LD within a one minute walk is a plus though. I think you would have been happy there. Where did you decide to go instead?
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 04:06 AM
KVR

Maggie, that's good to know. We decided on Cancun instead. We got air, AI hotel and airports transfer for $1,800. We'll look at Curacao again maybe next year.
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

KVR, I posted some photos to my blog at www.maggiwun.blogspot.com.
The photos of the outside of the rooms at Lion's Dive seem to be in the new section and are the only ones with a direct view of the beach/lagoon. It's a protected area for swimming but was not good for snorkeling. A couple we sat next to on the plane were raving about the snorkeling right in front of their room at the Marriott. But they also complained of too many mosquitos to sit outdoors in the evening. We had no problems with mosquitos or bugs of any kind at our resort, nor did we experience them at dinner outdoors at the Lion's Dive.

As it turns out, I got too lazy to do any more posting on vacation. So I'll give a short synopsis now that we have returned home.

What I liked about Curacao: We could use US currency, US voltage, people mostly spoke English, the temperature was perfect, people were friendly, it rained hardly at all and I did not think it was any more expensive than other islands we've been to recently. What I didn't like: As I mentioned above, while the roads were in generally good condition, we got lost a lot and wasted a lot of time trying to find our way around. This inhibited our trying to go places, since I didn't want the hassle of navigating. I am usually pretty good at it and we have driven all over the world. What I did find was not to try to find where you are at on the map, just watch the few signs they do have and know in which direction you need to be headed.

I have one restaurant recommendation: Mirasol, a Japanese restaurant between Punda and Breezes. I wish we had eaten there earlier in the week. I would have been tempted to return every night after that. I had softshell crab salad, followed by a nice assortment of sushi, while my husband had pan fried dumplings and a type of noodle pad/thai dish. We split dessert which was tempura fried banana on a bed of apricot sauce with two scoops of silky vanilla ice cream drizzled with melted chocolate. One of the best desserts I ever had. I had a beer, hubby a soft and the total bill, including gratuity was $60 US.

We did visit the Ostrich farm, which we got hopelessly lost trying to find since on the tourist map it was located in the completely wrong area. Anyway, we asked a nice young man who hardly spoke any English and he pointed to our map. We headed in that direction and promptly got lost again. Fifteen minutes later, we heard a beep and there he was behind us. He pulled in front of us and led us all the way there. What a doll.

We did the jeep truck tour of the farm and our guide was entertaining, informative and extremely cute . (His photo is on my blog too.) On the way back he brought out a half hatched baby ostrich and also a slightly older hatchling.

I went over to the Sea Aquarium several times, since our admission was free through Royal Resort. We were able to feed the flamingos, sting rays and sea turtles. I enjoyed the dolphin training show and got kissed by a sea lion. They are doing really good work there and we saw lots of people bringing their disabled children there. It was heartwarming.

Porto Marie Beach was the best memory of all. The fee is definitely worth it, since it helps pay for upkeep. The white sand was soft, the water crystal clear and the snorkeling was sensational, especially any rocky outcroppings. We even had lunch there which was very good and reasonably priced. It was a trek to get to from our part of the island but definitely worth it.

We did go into Williamstad (Punda) just to see the architecture and do a little shopping, but nothing much to report there. Mostly, we just hung around our cabana, pool and beach and were happy as clams just relaxing. Sorry to report we didn't visit any museums or do any other strenuous sightseeing. Feel free to ask any questions. Thanks for reading,
Maggi

Old Apr 14th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Hubby corrected me on the name of the restaurant: it is Miramar, nor Mirasol. He also wanted me to add that he liked the fact we could fly there on Delta direct from Atlanta, without having to take a small inter-island puddle jumper like many other places we have been.

Also, I meant to add that the island doesn't have the natural beauty of St. John or Virgin Gorda. It is very dry, lots of cactus everywhere and fairly flat. Many of the roadsides, such as the one to Porto Marie, were strewn with trash, mattresses, etc. Our resort was exceptionally clean and well maintained. On the road to Porto Marie there is an area of stagnant ponds and we saw a lot of flamingos there. They even have a sign that reads "Flamingo Area".
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 04:32 AM
KVR

Maggie, thanks so much for posting and taking the pictures of the Lions Dive. Your pictures are great. I really wish we would have gone like we planned. We are going to have to see about getting there soon. Ok, the picture of your guide at the Ostrich Farm. Oh My!

I'm really glad you made the comments you did about driving and getting around. We really don't like driving in unfamilar places and your comments are exactaly one of the reasons why. I got lots of negative feedback about not wanting to rent a car and doing scheduled tours instead. I know now the scheduled tour will be the way to go. Glad you had a nice and safe trip.

Old Apr 15th, 2008, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

KVR, if you think he's cute, he reminded me a little of Eric Kunze, a Broadway actor I met recently. Not only does he have the best voice I have ever heard, he is drop dead gorgeous. I did a fansite for him: www.erickunze.com
He's starring in three shows this summer: Joseph, Evita and Miss Saigon. The website has the dates and ticket information.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 07:29 AM

I thought the ostrich farm was just o.k. if I had nothing else to do.
Under the Arches there are 2 Italian restaurants La Peragola(spelling?)and one 50 yards before it (only 2+ yrs. old) that were both very good and resonably priced. If you read the Curacao posts you know my recommendations to avoid Ft. Nassau and Portofino at the Marriott to dine. The 2 top restaurants with $100-$125/couple with wine are AstroLab Observatory an a little French Swiss restaurant LAROUSSE. The folks at Sea Aquarium recommended it 4 years ago to us and we eat there 3 times. Expensive but quaint, good food (owner/chef). The last 2 require 1-2 day advanced reservations.
Enjoy the days you have left.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 01:05 PM

I've enjoyed reading your trip musings as well as linger over your photos. I had a great time with your work, as always.

Do you think this will be a return destination for you?
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, ej, likewise! I remember reading your comments on Curacao. We almost never do a repeat trip because there are so many things I still want to see, so no, we probably won't return. It wasn't the prettiest place we've ever been by far, but we did enjoy ourselves. I still want to try Grenada one of these days and stay at the place you did. What's your next trip?
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 06:54 PM

Hmmm...I may have commented on Curacao, but it wasn't from a personally informed point of view since I've never been there! Not that that always keeps me from giving an opinion, of course.

I just got back a couple of days ago from Guana Island in the BVI where we celebrated our 5th anniversary. The trip was superlative in so many ways that I need to take my time in doing a trip report. In June my husband is doing a gig in Hawaii, so I will join him when his work is finished. We'll spend two nights on Oahu together and then a week on the Big Island.

Grenada would be a great next trip for you--I still need to use up my free villa stay there in 2009 since it won't be happening this year.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Wow, I looked up Guana Island and thought, "now that's beautiful"! Then I peeked at the rates and thought, "well, that'll never happen". So I will look forward to reading your trip report and living it vicariously through you.

I thought you had been to Curacao and didn't care for it all that much. It must have been someone else, sorry.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 04:04 AM
KVR

Maggi, though we would like to go to Curacao, we've been looking at Barbados with a day trip to the Grendines and a day trip to Grenada. There are 3 day/2 night packages to Grenada also. More bang for the buck. I would love to go just to Grenada, but we could never afford a week there. Airfare alone is a killer.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 12:57 PM

Having visited all the islands mentioned I would say Curacao is a very different type of island with lush forest areas and many more visitors as well as hotels etc. Grenada is lovely and is a laid-back Barbados. The only reason to go to the Grenadines in my opinion is if you snorkel and can get to Tobago Caye which offers among the most awesome snorkeling in the Caribbean.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 03:39 PM

Maggi: Hi! I enjoyed reading your post on Curacao. My family will be going for the first time in July. I have a question for you--did you have any problem with people smoking around you (in restaurants, on beaches, etc)? I ask because my son has asthma and I'm wondering if it will be a problem for him.

Thanks!
where_to_next?
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Where-to, that's an interesting question. Because of the number of Europeans there I do believe there are more smokers and it's more widely accepted that it is here. In fact, my husband does smoke. We only ate inside once and I did not notice anyone smoking around us. But at the outdoor venues there were ashtrays on all the tables. Because it was breezy, I don't think that would be a problem for your son, but I can't know for sure. Our resort did not allow smoking inside the rooms - my husband used the balcony.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 05:23 PM

Maggi, this was a special anniversary trip for us to Guana, and though still not cheap, the rates are easier to swallow on the auction packages such as the one from LuxuryLink that I won.

Though there were some folks there who couldn't remember the number of times they've gone to Guana--they've been going every year since forever, or even multiple times a year, and they just lost count. Oh, to be so lucky!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -