Search

Maui-like Caribbean

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maui-like Caribbean

My wife and I have been to Maui several times. We are interested in a location that has a "Maui" feel; a variety of activities without being terribly crowded and with a much shorter plane ride. We like good beaches, good snorkeling and a variety of food options. Is there a Caribbean location that would fit that bill?
Old Jan 26th, 2010, 02:43 AM

That beach sounds very beautiful....but the polar opposite to a "Maui feel" I believe?

St Lucia by the pitons has a Maui feel, and decent snorkeling with some great restaurants.
Old Jan 26th, 2010, 03:24 AM

Hi, I have been to Maui and to many Caribbean islands . . . you might check out St. Lucia, Barbados and St. John. St. Lucia has the lush tropical landscape, mountains and scenery as well as activities and depending on where you are on the island, snorkeling can be good (I hear it's great near the Pitons). I don't think St. Lucia gets as high marks on varied food options though, mostly because it's a bit difficult to get around so many of the restaurants are at the resorts. Barbados is not quite as lush and tropical but still has interesting scenery (great cliffs and giant rocks on the East Coast) and the beaches are more like Maui in that they have whiter sand and more turquoise water. In my opinion, the beaches on St. John are closest to the ones on Maui -- predominantly cove-type beaches with good snorkeling from shore, pretty scenery and other small islands to see from the beaches, also. St. John has a funky town that could be somewhat like a smaller Lahaina, with lots of good food options.
Old Jan 26th, 2010, 12:26 PM

My husband and I always refer to Bermuda as our east coast Hawaii. We enjoyed our honeymoon on Maui and found bermuda's topography to be somewhat close to Maui's. relaxed, elegant feel as well.