Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Please help me stack the Islands against these criteria.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 11:32 AM
Joel

We've vacationed in the BVI and USVI, plus Jamaica and Cuba. We've recently made a list of what we truly want and are willing to spend what it takes for what we want. First, let me say that the resort and its services is not the issue here; it's finding the right island. We'll worry about the resort later. <BR>Here are our criteria: <BR>1. Maintenance of the island by its citizens. How well the citizens maintain their island, its homes, its businesses. Not just the resorts are neat and clean. The peoples' homes, though modest, are maintained and espectable. No cars up on blocks No slums. <BR>2. Natural beauty. The island has the features that make it wonderful to look at and enjoy. Bays, mountains, serene settings. <BR>3. Tasteful architecture. The resorts and local buildings are small and carefully designed to be in harmony with the island and the local "flavor" as opposed to high-rises or mega resorts. <BR>4. Ambiance/Authenticity. The island's people are being themselves, not some characture of what Yankee tourists think an islander should be/do. No tee shirt salesmen, no "authentic island costumes". <BR>Please help me find the island(s) worth considering. And thanks in advance for your time and thought.

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 12:44 PM
susan

Hi Joel! I think that St. Kitts and Nevis are the islands that you are looking for. No building is allowed to be taller than the tallest coconut tree (by ordinance). It has beautiful mountains (volcanoes, extinct), gorgous bays with white, black or pink sand, and miles of sugarcane. The people are friendly and genuine (we have made friends with some that we still keep in touch with). I have never seen trash thrown out on the streets, as I have seen in Jamaica. They have their share of poverty, but it is not in an unclean way. Some resorts you may want to check out are the Four Seasons Nevis (slated to reopen better than ever, due to hurricane Lenny, in November) and Nisbet Plantation Inn (lovely plantation on a beautiful beach, complete with hammocks strung between coconut palms). On St. Kitts there is the always awesome Ottleys plantation (check out their website at Ottleys.com) and Golden Lemon. For all inclusive, there is an Allegro Jack Tar Village (only 3 star, but still fun). I can email you pictures if you post your desire for some on the board. Hope this helps!

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 01:21 PM
Lee

Joel: I've lived in Jamaica and have been to several islands in the Bahamas. Far from an expert, my choice is Aruba. <BR> <BR>It is not lush and tropical as you may picture and island, but it has beautiful white sand beaches, the prettiest water, safety and great people. It is not poverty stricken like most are and although it's not "undiscovered", it is a fun and romantic place to go. Palm Beach is the best area and the choices of restaurants will satisfy about any appetite. It is dry, but rain isn't a problem and hurricanes just can't find it. <BR> <BR>We will be heading there for our third visit within the next year. That's my choice.

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 01:22 PM
Peggy

Sounds more like the Cook Islands or Western Samoa in the South Pacific than a Caribbean island. What about a private island if you are upset by encountering the conditions that exist on most occupied islands.

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 02:56 PM
Noach

Grenada perhaps? <BR> <BR>Guadeloupe? <BR> <BR>Dominica? <BR> <BR>It would be interesting to hear if people who have been to these islands think they would come close to fitting the bill.

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 03:14 PM
JMM

Grenada

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 03:37 PM
Debbie

Bermuda fits the bill perfectly.

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 03:51 PM
Joel

Thanks to those that so far have indicated they have first hand experience. For those that may be SURMISING what MIGHT be a good choice, accept my thanks, but understand that your response may be misleading.

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 05:26 PM
Bill

I have been to many Caribbean islands. None that I have been to fit you requirements. Your wishes lead me to believe that you know nothing of the Caribbean and are likely to be disappointed.

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 05:39 PM
Parrot Mom

The island of Bermuda fits the bill on all accounts, the genuine friendliness of the people, cleanliness, beauty of the island and it;s beaches. Homes are well kept, you are only allowed to own one car per home and as a result there is a wonderful bus system through the island.. Oh yes, we are going back for our eighth time in two months..and as they say "have a Bermudaful day"... It's a little bit of heaven on earth, albeit expensive..

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 05:48 PM
Joel

Bill, we've been to the islands we listed and by last count, a total of 28 countries on business and pleasure. Egypt was the most wonderful experience. Maybe France, where we lived for two years, is next. That was a tremendous opportunity because it afforded the time to become a part of the culture rather than looking in. Even Vietnam where I spent some time during the war had its own magnetism. In fact, we have loved every place we have been, I think. <BR>If you interpreted my posting to say that I didn't like the BVI, Jamaica, et. al., nothing could be further from fact. We've been there 5 times now. The USVI has a crime problem, but we were married there; yet are unlikely to go back due to the crime. My posting, Bill, reflects nothing more than what it enquires about. Just take it at face value, please.

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 04:18 AM
joan

Joel: <BR> <BR>I have to agree with Bill. None of the Caribbean islands I've been to (too many to list) lack cars on blocks or Tshirt salesmen. <BR>The only island I can think of that comes close would be Bermuda; nah, scratch that, they have Tshirt salesmen... <BR>I think you may require a private island resort, like Peter or Palm Island in the Grenadines. Just close your eyes when traveling through those icky connecting islands.

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 05:04 AM
Jamie

Joel, <BR> My first thought was Nevis comes close to your list - it has been a few years since we were there and a hurricane has done a lot of damage but I was struck by the neatness and lack of touristy image on Nevis. There are areas that do look poor but on a tour around the island - the countryside is beautiful with picturesque houses and wonderful scenery. Just my opinion, Jamie