Please help!

Aug 15th, 2018, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Please help!

Looking to go for a week over thanksgiving. Will be me and husband, two young kids (4 and 6), and my mom. My mom is a big birder and nature lover. My husband likes water sports. Kids like beach and fun pools. I just want everyone happy and a kids club/babysitters!

Looked into Ritz GC but I think might be too commercial/built up and crowded for my mom. Looked into Nevis 4 Seasons - will husband be bored and is it a very long travel day?

Also hoping for no hurricanes or a very rainy season.

Is there anywhere relatively easy to get to (Atlanta is usually connection) that meets all these criteria? Budget not a big issue. thank you!!
Aug 15th, 2018, 09:56 AM

Where exactly are you flying from that you have to connect through Atlanta? You might find more and better options to the Caribbean connecting via Charlotte or Miami.

Let us know what you consider "a long travel day" - 5 hours, 7 hours, 9 hours????? If connecting somewhere, you do realize that you'll probably need a minimum of 90 minutes layover - do you consider that part of your "travel time or are you just thinks of "flying time".

Sorry, have no idea if your husband will be bored at the Four Season's Nevis without knowing what type of activities (other than water sports which are available on Nevis) interest him, what "bores" him or how easily he gets "bored". The same holds true from any island. It would help if you told us what he likes to do while on vacation other than water sports. You should also know, that you cannot fly non-stop to Nevis from any airport in the US so if you are concerned with layover time in Atlanta (or other US airport) you have more layover time trying to fly into Nevis from some other airport in the Caribbean (San Juan, St. Martin, Antigua) or you'll need to allow time for land and water transportation from St. Kitts (the nearest airport you can reach non-stop from some East Coast US airports (Miami & Charlotte will probably be your best options).

Hurricane Season officially ends November 30 and peak activity is usually between the mid-to end of August through the end of October. Odds are good you won't encounter any major storms anywhere in the Caribbean around Thanksgiving there are never any guarantees when it comes to predicting the weather. If there are no storms brewing November is not a particularly rainy month in the Caribbean. You might see a couple of very brief (10 to 15 minute showers) widely scattered showers but they are usually not enough to put a damper on anyone's vacation. It is not unusual in the Caribbean for there to be sprinkles in one area and there be bright sun 1/4 mile away.

If your mother is a birder, she'll see a greater variety of birds on the mountainous islands, especially those that have rainforests. Look at St. Kitts, Nevis, St. Lucia, Grenada, St. Vincent, Dominican Republic, Jamaica and Puerto Rico. Of course, there are plenty of birds to see on other islands as well.

So, if connecting through an East Coast US airport look at the islands you can reach non-stop from your International Gateway Airport of choice - most likely the ones with the shortest flight times will be Dominican Republic, Grand Cayman, Providenciales (Turks & Caicos), Jamaica, Puerto Rico, St. Martin, St. Thomas and the larger Bahamas Islands..