Playa resorts-El Dorado?

Old Jan 13th, 1999, 07:03 AM
Connie

Playa resorts-El Dorado?

4 of us are planning on going to Playa del Carmen this spring. We have previously stayed within Playacar ot Caribbean Village and loved it. We are thinking about El Dorado. Has anyone been there or any other suggestions? the couple we are going with have never been to Mexico and we want to show them a good time.

Old Jan 13th, 1999, 07:27 AM
Doug

Connie, <BR> <BR>El Dorado is 20 miles from Playa. Do a text search on this board for lots of comments about this resort.

Old Jan 20th, 1999, 05:41 AM
elina

don't go there, they are liers. the description of the hotel is false. <BR>-no champaine upon arrivals <BR>-no telefones <BR>-no entertainment <BR>-no hammaks or jacuzzi <BR>-the water on the beach is unswimmable, <BR> the water is up to your knees for a mile and full of corals. <BR>P.S. Save yourselve a heakache

Old Jan 20th, 1999, 12:29 PM
Doug

I disagree with Elina on almost everything. We had champagne waiting in our room when we arrived. I try to get away from the phone so I never use one, there may not have been one, but I didn't notice. They had a rooftop disco with music & karoke every night. There was marriachi music every night at dinner. We had 2 hammocks on or balcony. While the water is great for snorkeling it isn't very good for swimming. The beach just to the south of the resort is good for swimming. They had a jacuzzi next to the spa it only worked 2 of the 7 days we were there. The in room jacuzzis aren't worth it, never enough hot water to fill it up. Very isolated resort you need to have a car if you want to go anywhere.

Old Jan 21st, 1999, 07:28 AM
Emily Connolly

We stayed at the El Dorado in the April 99 and we were very disappointed. The property itself is nice with large rooms and a very attentive housekeeping staff. <BR>The beach is not swimmable due to the fact that it's loaded with rocks and you have to walk over the rocks to get to water that is deep enough and that's a long way out. By the time you get out there the water is very rough and the undertow is dangerous. You cannot safely snorkel at this beach unless you have a death wish. <BR>The jacuzzi was dirty and never worked and the pool is freezing. Pool access was limited to one broken ladder. <BR>There are far to many other nice resorts in this area and Cozumel to waste time and money at this one.