planning 08 vacation

Old Jan 4th, 2008, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
planning 08 vacation

good afternoon
I have been a lurker on this board for awhile but now need some help! I am planning a vacation for this summer. We have 3 to 5 couples that travel together. I myself have been to Jamaica x2, Aruba x2, Abaco x3, Isla Mujeres, Belize, Cayman x2, and Cancun x3. This year I am charge of planning. We can fly out of Charolotte or Atlanta. Because of how busy the airport is in Atlanta these days, we prefer Charlotte.

I am looking for a new destination with pretty beaches and easy access snorkeling, preferably from shore. We are not real hard partiers but do enjoy the cocktails with a neat enviroment, such as cool beach bar with some local flavor. Want to be able to walk to places since we don't have anyone willing to be a DD and we are smart enough not to drink and drive in a foreign country. We have stayed anywhere from a house to an AI resort. We are open to anything within that range at this point. last year our vacation was on the high end cost (for us) and this year I would like something a little more reasonable.

I know its hard to name a price. I would say airfare less than 800.00 for two. (is that possible these days??) and somewhere to stay for $1000 to $1500 for a week per couple. And an island where it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to eat and drink, ie, relatively inexpensive options with local fare...beer and drinks for $2 to $3 and possible dinner for less than $100 a couple. I don't mind paying more for nicer places but want some inexpensive options. Of course, an AI would be more.....

We liked Sandals in Negril, loved Elbow Cay in Abaco whrere we rented a house in Hopetown (but its on the expensive side for beer and food and airfare), Isla Mujeres was very nice and inexpensive but want a little better snorkeling options, loved Cayman but again, it can get expensive. Plus we want to try something new if we can find it but also are not opposed to repeat an island if its a great deal.
Any ideas or should I just get ready to shell out the $$$$????
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 01:59 PM

I know you will get all sorts of replies with more "high end" suggestions; however, taking into account where you have been and what you loved, have you considered Great Exuma? The Exumas offer some of the most gorgeous snorkeling anywhere and are easily reached from your airports (see Georgetown, Bahamas) for airport.I am pretty sure Delta flies there now along with others. Look at Palm Bay Beach Club or Club Peace and Plenty. You can rent a boat there also for some wonderful day trips on your own or there is a ferry/shuttle across to Stocking Island where there are a couple of fun day time funky beach bar/restaurants (pig roast like Nippers on Guana kind of).
The other suggestion is a very, very small place but with several couples together, you ARE your own entertainment (done that in places like the Abacos and Exumas myself)- Staniel Cay in the Exumas. Staniel Cay Yacht Club (misnomer for a tiny little spot) has a meal plan that added to your cottage (that comes with a 13' whaler including gas and is good for all the nearby snorkeling in the Exuma Land and Sea Park (forgot the exact name) actually works out to be a good value with no surprises price wise. Each cottage comes with the use of a boat and in the meal plan they will pack you a picnic lunch so you can have your own boat party and snorkel off of deserted little islands every day. I have done all the research for a trip next year and the reviews (see Trip Advisor, too) are very good and I know people who have been going there for years. I can't wait!
Last suggestion- how about renting a house on Guana in the Abacos? Lots to choose from with some bars and restaurants to choose from with nice beach with walk-in snorkeling in some areas near Nippers.
If you rent a house, you could consider travelling with an ice chest and taking some frozen steaks, etc. for one or two dinners together there at your villa- you are familiar with the grocery stores in Hopetown so you know that things are not always available- we did that in Hopetown and in Lubbers and sometimes it was nice just to eat lunch out, boat all day then sit on our own porch, mix our own drinks and grill a steak with friends.
Happy hunting for your vacation spot. If you loved Abaco then you will love the Exumas- or try a new place in Abaco!
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 03:09 PM

I saw airfare to Puerto Rico for $235 roundtrip.

I've been to Bermuda in June.. the beaches are pink..very gorgeous.
Expensive, though...although prob. just as expensive as other islands.

Best time for Bermuda is summer..perfect weather. Stunning beaches. You will need to bring Bermuda shorts for men and skirts for women. They have dress code.

To get around the island, you use scooters, only.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 06:05 PM

Somehow or another I am thinking that if jhall "loved Elbow Cay" where years ago a travel agent friend explained to me that "putting on earrings was 'dressing for dinner'" that Bermuda was not quite what she had in mind- atmospherically and/or price wise. Having been to PR also, neither is that in line with what she said she liked/wanted or what she was looking for- been there, done that with Elbow, Cayman and Isla and she is looking for flip flop, fun "friend times"- not dress codes for dinner. Just my opinion...
By the way- Trip Advisor website has a good Bahamas board where one can send a message to another person- try it if you are interested in more information.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

You are right, I am looking for a flip flop kind of place....but having said that, we also liked Aruba, where flip flops and sun dress worked just about anywhere, even though it was a little more developed than my favorite places. I do not want a place where we would "dress" for dinner, getting my husband to wear anything but shorts and a collared shirt would be impossible!! I will check out Exuma but won't that airfare be high?? We have stayed on other cays in Abaco. As much as I loved Abaco, we are loooking for something new and different. Both Exuma and Staniel Cay may fit the bill. But, not to close all my options..... Anyone been to Bonaire, Punta Canta, Provo, or St. Marteen? Would any of these places fit my wish lists???
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 05:58 AM

St. John is a beautiful island with off shore snorkeling and beach bars. It is on the expensive side but you can find inexpensive food at places like Uncle Joe's BBQ. You would have to drive to most of the beaches but if you stayed in Cruz Bay, dining, drinking and driving would not be a problem since you can walk to some great restaurant and bars. Cruz Bay is a small,quaint town. Some options in town that might fall into your price range include Palm Terrace Villas (look the nicest), Gallow Point (very popular) and Lavendar Hill Condos.

www.palmterracevillas.com

Another thought is Tortola in the BVI's. It is less expensive than St. John in terms of lodging and food. It's less Americanized (can't thin of the right term) but St. John probably has better beaches. Tortola is nice to island hop from. You can take a ferry to Jost Van Dyke or Virgin Gorda which have their draws. One agency that rents villas is:

www.purplepineapple.com

Good luck!

Old Jan 7th, 2008, 07:09 AM

I would recommend St John too. It will be near to impossible to find On Beach accomodations (unless you camp or have a fortune to spend at the Westin). We rented a 1 bedroom apartment last year on Fish Bay ($1150) and loved it. It was 15 minutes from Cruz Bay where there are plenty of reasonble places to eat/drink. Unfortunately you basically have to rent a vehicle...to get to the beaches (all of which have off beach snorkeling) or to enjoy night life.