Search

Pirates of the Caribbean 2

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pirates of the Caribbean 2

hello everyone,

i just came back from watching pirates of the caribbean 2 (made me miss that beautiful water), and am wondering if anyone knows where they filmed the scene where they dug up the dead man's chest and were fighting over it. that beach is amazing, and the water, so shallow and clear. i've read on here that the movie was filmed at St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Dominica, and The Bahamas, but was wondering if anyone knew about that scene in particular. that was worth the admission price alone. thanks for reading this!
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 05:06 PM

FYI, I stood on the set from the first POTC movie where the hanging scene was shot in St. Vincent. I heard they were going to shot there again. There were still sets there. I need to go see the new movie to see if they shot in the same places.

I don't know enough about the new movie, but wanted to include info about the last island...

Gee, now I feel silly. I hope someone can give you better information!
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 07:05 PM

A lot of it was shot off Great Exuma in the Bahamas
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Original Poster

hi beachkomer,

thanks for the info! don't feel silly! i appreciate your response very much. let me know what you think of the second POTC movie and the scenery.

hi howardc,

i just looked at some pics online of great exuma, and the scene i am talking about does resemble emerald bay beach. i can't believe how much sand there is on that beach. it is beautiful! this scene shows the beach and water for only about five minutes, but it was gorgeous. of course, it's probably a deserted beach, so i won't get to vacation there. thanks for your post!
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 05:18 PM

Alot was Exumas-Howard is right.
A huge portion was filmed on Gold Rock Beach in Freeport. I'm there now, if i see the ships (heard they are still here) I'll post pics.
Old Jul 9th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

cool! thanks, blamona!
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 04:22 AM

I have just watched a portion of "True Pirates of the Caribbean" on the History Channel.

It will be available on dvd and I thought it would make great watching on my portable player, while on my trip on St. John. However it will not be shipped until Oct. 31, making it a close call for my Nov. 5 departure.

Thought some of you other Caribbean lovers might enjoy it.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 05:21 AM

There is a 175 ft. replica on the POTC pirate ship Flying Dutchman at Disney Castaway Cay in the Bahamas. In order to see it close up you have to rent a boat. There is always a moneymaking catch.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

hi Dianebridles,

that sounds neat!

howardc,

disney does seem to know what they are doing with the money-making aspect of these movies, don't they?
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 02:14 PM

"True Pirates of the Caribbean" is on again tomorrow night, July 12th from 9:00-11:00pm on the History Channel if anyone is interested. I heard a rumor that Keith Richards is going to make a cameo in POTC #3 as Captain Jack's Dad. There was a bio on E network about Johnny Depp and he said he developed Captain Jack's character with Keith Richards in mind. We just watched POTC #1. The beach that Sparrow was marooned on was pointed out to us when we did our Grenadine's day trip. It was on one of the more remote Tobago Cays.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 02:55 PM

Hi!
Just got back from gold Rock Beach (Grand Bahama) there were 2 ships that Disney just took away last week!
But we went anyway. there was still 1 ship (in 2 pieces) that I took pics for you. There were also some fabrics draped on some driftwood.
Alot was also filmed like HowardC said in Exumas. Johnny Depp loved Exumas so much he bought a cay there.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 04:20 PM

i love these movies. i love depp. blamona i can't wait to see your photos.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

hi brenandg,

thanks for that info! i'll have to TIVO that show!

hi blamona,

YEA! i can't WAIT to see those pics! thanks so much for taking them!!! so cool! thanks, again!

hi virginia,

yeah, there's nothing wrong with looking at johnny depp, that's for sure. the movies are great, too though.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 07:34 PM

I just ran across the following in my research tonight about Dominica: (from the Fort Young Hotel website)

"Fort Young Hotel was pleased to welcome the cast and crew who were in Dominica for the filming of Pirates of the Caribbean 2 & 3 from April to May, 2005. Dominica was indeed the ideal location for the film, for it is often said that Columbus himself would still recognise Dominica today, so little has it changed in the years since then.

It's also fitting because we do have a pirate history - our island was used by pirates to replenish their ships as they sailed the Caribbean. There's even a reputed pirate treasure still waiting to be discovered, when Spanish ships were wrecked off our coast in the 1500s!

Locations

Many locations on Dominica were used for the film, a reflection of our natural beauty which ranges from tall mountains, hidden waterfalls, cool rushing rivers and secluded beaches.

Old Jul 13th, 2006, 07:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
jackie: I just saw the movie and I know the scene where they dug up the chest. My reaction was the same: Where is that beautiful beach and water. I don't think I have ever seen water like that.
I was rather disappointed in the 2nd film. I liked the first one better.
I thought the monster creatures on the ship were nightmarish!
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

hi maggi,

thanks so much for your post and for that great information! i'll have to look into dominica. i really appreciate your post!

hi girlonthego,

i'm so excited that you noticed that scene and loved that beach as much as i did! that is very cool! and yes, those creatures were super scary! the best part about the 2nd film was that beach, and of course, johnny depp, but the beach wins (and i love johnny depp!). thanks for your post.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 04:53 AM

I took my son to see the movie yesterday. We thought it was great, so much scenery to watch, the mountains, water, Johnny Depp
Those sea creatures were really hard to look at! I usually do not like that kind of stuff, but was entertained the whole time. And some twists in the end leave you waiting til next summer!

So it looks like the scene where Capn' Jack is "king" of the tribe, in the hilly mountains, must be Dominica?
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 07:57 AM

Having read this thread before I went to see the latest Pirates of the Caribbean movie and having been to St. Lucia. I intentionally stayed and watched the credits and at the end of the very long credits it does say where the movie was filmed. It didn't mention St. Lucia, but I know what I saw at the very beginning of the movie was the Pitons in St. Lucia, because at one point in the movie I have the very same scene in my photos of St. Lucia, sadly my photos don't have Johnny Depp in them (be still my heart). The rest of the movie was somewhere else and the movie credits said it was filmed in St. Vincent, The Grenadines, Dominica and the Bahamas.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 11:37 AM

ONZGO - I had posted something similar about this. I was in St. Lucia about a year and a half ago and did a land/sea tour. At the time, the tour guide said something about them doing some of the filming there. I thought I saw the Pitons in the film too, although, like everyone here, everything that I'm finding talks about St. Vincent and Dominica.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 01:00 PM

I was thinking St.Lucia, also. I have never been there, but have looked at a lot of pictures and just kept thinking those steep mountains looked like St. Lucia!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -