Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Pink Sand on Harbour Island vs. Pink Sand on Eleuthera

Sep 4th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Original Poster

Just curious - is the famous pink sand beach along Harbour Island ( Atlantic Side ) prettier than the pink sand beaches along the Atlantic side of Eleuthera? It seems that they would be about the same but everyone always refers to the "spectacular" beach on HI. Thanks for the input.
Sep 5th, 2007, 03:02 AM

There are a few beaches on Eleuthera that absolutely rate the "spectacular" status.

Harbour Island is better known because it is more "tourist friendly", several nice places to stay lots of good restaurants, 2 dive shops, some shopping and of course that spectacular beach.

Eleuthera is more laid back a few resorts, a few restaurants and a tiny bit of shopping, but everything is much more spread out. Eleuthera is 110 miles long and Harbour Island is 3 miles long. Staying on Eleuthera you have to have a car, HI you can hoof it or rent a golf cart to get around.

Hope this helps.
Sep 5th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks travelbuff. It does help. I asked the question because we're actually thinking of staying on both Eleuthera and HI but may choose to stay on the Harbour side of HI and didn't want to feel that we were going to miss the experience of being on the "spectacular" pink sand beach.
Sep 5th, 2007, 10:07 AM

The beach on HI will litterally take your breath away. The first time I walked into Runaway Hill in 1986, the view out of the windows toward the beach and ocean made me come to a full stop and stare, and I got the same feeling each time I walked in over the years. The beach is that spectacular, one of the top 10 in the world. The only other beach on Eleuthera I thought as beautiful is the French Leave or Club Med Beach in Govenours Harbour.

You might think about staying on HI and take a day trip over to Eleuthera to do some site seeing. The ride to GH is about 2 hours, if you stop a couple of times, especially at Glass Window, which is a bridge (one car width).

I drove down the island on one trip and stopped on the bridge to take pictures. I probably was there for over an hour and no other cars in sight.

If you do a trip over to Eleuthera, remember that the water taxis go off duty at sundown.
Sep 5th, 2007, 11:22 AM

I don't think so. I think Club med is just as pretty on Eleu as is the beach by the Singing Sands resort on Eleu.
Sep 5th, 2007, 11:38 AM

I often wonder about that too!

I have found that almost all the Atlantic beaches on Eleuthera are pink. Beautiful pink.

Actually, don't tell anyone, but there are also pink beaches on Stocking Island, off the coast of Exuma. But the fame of Harbour Island makes one think that's the only spectacular pink beach around.

Let's keep this a secret!
Sep 5th, 2007, 05:16 PM

I assume Harbour Island, being easier to get around, is what makes that beach more popular.

My opinion, but the whole strand of Club Med (French Leave) Beach-Tippy's Beach-and going on to Singing Sands Beach (Popini Beach) are actually quite stunning.

It is easier access at Harbour Island, and there are beach chairs, umbrellas, etc at HI-probably making it easier to enjoy-Eleuthera requires a little more effort.

It's fairly easy to combine the 2-one or 2 nights at HI, rest of nights around Governor's Harbour-so why not explore both? If you just pick one-you'll always want to get the other one out of your system. 8-)