Picking an island for a girls getaway

Old Mar 22nd, 2016, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picking an island for a girls getaway

Hi All!

I have tried to do some research on possible island trips for a single girls getaway in April next year, but can not figure out what island best suits our needs as all seem to be amazing! We are all in our mid-20s and are looking for somewhere that is not too crazy expensive. Less than $2,500 if possible? We will be travelling there from Nashville, TN and can adjust the length of our trip depending on the price (a week max though). Here are the following things we are looking for:
1. Beautiful beaches where we can sip on cocktails and admire the scenery
2. A range of activities (we are not huge adventurers, but would like to do some snorkeling,hike to a waterfall, or go zip-lining)
3. A town or city that is safe to explore nearby that offers great food options
4. Beach bars to go to for post-dinner drinks and live music

I realize this is a lot to ask for, but I'm hoping that maybe we can at least figure out 2 islands to limit my search to. THANK YOU!!!
Old Mar 22nd, 2016, 11:00 AM

Hmm, Barbados might be a good fit. I would look into the St. Lawrence Gap area there.

San Juan is another idea. It's not as low key as Barbados since it's a city but prob it's prob a bit cheaper. Beach is definitely nicer in Barbados. Both islands have GREAT food options.

I'm 29 and have gone to both islands with friends around the same age within the last few years...both were great destinations and safe enough to explore on our own as a group of girls.
Old Mar 22nd, 2016, 11:27 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Jamaica?
Old Mar 22nd, 2016, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you throwmeaway27! I have not looked into Barbados yet as an option, so I will definitely start researching. Is there any specific place to stay in St. Lawrence Gap that you would recommend?

Suze-I had thought about Jamaica, but have heard mixed reviews about its safety. Have you traveled there before?
Old Mar 22nd, 2016, 12:42 PM

Yes I have been to Negril 3 times. If you want to get an idea of what it's like go to:

www.negrilonestop.com

When you go to the map of the 7 mile beach & of The Cliffs (the 2 sections of Negril) you can click on each one to see the various hotels and resorts.

On the main page there's a good video clip that shows you what Negril is like.
Old Mar 25th, 2016, 11:09 AM
cw

I faced the same problem years ago. We were three friends traveling and couldn't agree on a Caribbean island. We had once gone to Freeport, Bahamas, together.

Our solution was to take a cruise. It worked for us because we were able to visit numerous islands during the day, had nightlife on the ship, and never had to take time every day to agree on where to have dinner. We actually took two more cruises (different itineraries) in subsequent years.

I still go back to my favorite islands now, years later. Without sampling many places, I would never have found "my" special place. Because we stayed three in the room, our rates were quite reasonable.
Old Mar 28th, 2016, 04:01 PM

Sorry for the delayed response - no I don't have any specific locations. I know that the Time out Hotel and the Ocean Two Resorts are popular. We (4 girls & 1 guy between ages 24 & 29) actually rented a condo and it worked out well. We didn't have issues with safety at all.

I have also been to Jamaica but not to Negril. With that said I wouldn't recommend it for a (young) girls trip if you plan on venturing into town on your own. Staying on the resort and doing guided excursions would be fine.
Old Mar 29th, 2016, 04:52 AM
WWK

Playa del Carmen has or is near to everything on your wish list. There are condos on the beach to rent, so check those out if it's of interest. Great area, and your $$ will go a lot further.
Old Mar 29th, 2016, 06:05 PM

Mexico is an excellent suggestion. You get a lot more for your money there than in the Caribbean.
Old Mar 30th, 2016, 05:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also think the Playa del Carmen area would be a perfect spot for you.
Old Mar 30th, 2016, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses! I was wanting to cut out Mexico, as I have already visited there, but after looking at Playa del Carmen it seems like a great fit for our price and the activities we are looking for in our vacation. If anyone has any suggestions on places to stay there, please feel free to comment! Thanks again
Old Mar 30th, 2016, 09:10 AM

Playa del Carmen (Cancun, Isla Mujeres, Cozumel, Akumal, Tulum are all beautiful on that coastline).

Puerto Vallarta works too but further flights from your location.

Negril is still a good option as long as everyone's got their head on their shoulders.
Old Mar 30th, 2016, 09:12 AM

One more suggestion. Secrets Maroma. We (6 of us) did a girls getaway and were very happy with the resort. Awesome beach location, several activities, very good food and very attentive service. It should be well within your budget. We visited Playa for shopping (about 20 min). If you'd rather walk to the town then I think you are better off in Playa itself. I just think that the Secrets beach as well as the onsite restaurants/service are probably superior as compared to other resorts in Plays.
Old Mar 30th, 2016, 11:09 AM

Sounds so fun, Im sure wherever you girls go you will have a blast!

My suggestion for mid-20s, somewhere that is not too crazy expensive and an easy flight from Nashville would be either Punta Cana or Cancun and a bit more expensive but TOTALLY worth it would also be Aruba! Have fun!!