Reload this Page >

Pass Ports or Birth Certificates

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 04:03 PM
John

We are going to Jamaica in 3 weeks are birth certificates Ok?<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>John

Old Jan 19th, 2002, 05:04 PM
Kim

yes, the real stamped BC and 2 froms of ID pass ports take about 6 weeks to get you dont have enough time. Pass Ports are less hassel.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 06:41 AM
W

Any time you depart the US to go anywhere in the Caribbean, you will need your birth certificate with a raised seal & a picture ID such as a drivers license. I agree that passports are better only if you go outside of the US on several occasions in a ten year span. There are some exclusions but this will get you on your way.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 09:05 AM
bob

Even if you only travel to countries that will accept a birth certificate, a passport is much easier to use and you don't have to deal with that old birth certificate that's tattered and ratty from being folded and unfolded. The passport is worth the extra expense.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 09:28 AM
pjb73

My husband and I went to Aruba in December. We erred on the safe side and got passports. I am sure glad we did. My husband only had a hospital birth certificate and the passport office said that wasn't good enough. He sent away for a government birth certificate and he got his passport. It was a hassle, but I sure was happy we found out months before the trip he had the wrong birth certificate instead of the morning of the trip at the airport. Plus we found it easier at the airport to show the passport multiple times instead of our driver's licenses. Plus now I'm hoping we can start taking advantage of those cheap last minute fares to Europe.<BR><BR>However, since your trip is in 3 weeks, it's almost too late for passports. It would be best to check with your travel agent and the Jamaica govt.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 11:18 AM
anon

You can get an expedited passport but if not some islands will accept an official raised seal (or watermarked) certified copy of the original birth certificate - not the one from the hospital. That accompanied by a governmental issued photo id will work if Ja allows it. But, passports are so much easier and with the hassles of traveling nowadays, you want to cut down as many questions or complications that can arise with paperwork.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 03:34 PM
Scott

Not sure what everyone is talking about when they say that passports are easier, and that they won't accept a hospital copy. My wife and I both use COPIES of the original BC, with a raised seal from a notary at a bank, along with a drivers license, and get through customs just as fast as anyone else. This has worked in St Kitts, St Lucia, and Grand Cayman.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 04:18 PM
ohliz

People are referring to the hospital certs that are souvenir-like, some give you one with a little footprint on it or whatever. All that works is a raised seal STATE ISSUED birth cert.<BR><BR>I think a passport is easier because it's just one piece of paper rather than two (Driver's lcense required with passport), and there's no question about where it will work.<BR><BR>There used to be separate immigration lines for passports and birth certs when we came back from JA, haven't seen that in years.<BR><BR Liz

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 04:25 PM
Karen

I have seen people take the souvenir b/c to a notary and have it notarized so that it had a raised seal and they were able to use it. But better to be safe than sorry and get a certified copy of the original from the local vital stats office (which is the "official" birth certificate). Some states now use watermarks instead of a raised seal but the cute little one with footprints that came home from the hospital with you won't work! With security the way it is supposed to be now, don't take chances!

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 05:37 PM
Terry

Normally a passport takes 5-6 weeks to arrive. At a passport office, usually the post office, you can get a expidited passport for an additional cost. Along with a certified birth certificate and driver's lic you need to bring proof of your departure. The additional cost is somewhere in the area of $35.00. It's probably work the cost for peace of mind.

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 07:16 PM
ohliz

You can get passport forms online: http://travel.state.gov/passport_services.html<BR><BR>and sometimes birth certs too, definitely phone numbers:<BR><BR>http://www.vitalrec.com/birth.html<BR><BR Liz

Old Jan 21st, 2002, 08:44 PM
JoeTravel

If you need a passport in a hurry there are many companies like passportexpress.com that specialize in getting a passport fast, even in 24hrs, but you will pay a good deal extra for the expedited service. To find those companies, do a web search for "passport services". Best thing about having a passport is it gives you the ability to vacation all over the world.

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 05:19 AM
oneweek

I applied for my passport on a Saturday and it in my mailbox the following Friday. Things must be slow in passport land . . .

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 05:46 PM
Mark

I just have to chuckle every time this subject comes up. It never ceases to amaze me why people will spend thousands on a trip then not spend a few bucks on a passport. To me it is well worth the price in peace of mind. I know the passport will always be accepted and If I lose it or its stolen on a trip I keep a copy and it's easier to replace then other ID if your out of the US. Anyway thats my 2 cents worth.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 12:35 PM
Troy

We had no problems going to and returning from Jamaica this January with our embossed BC and US drivers license. We went thorough immigration as quickly as anyone did.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 01:00 PM
Mary

We've never had any problems or experienced any delays either with our birth certificates and driver's licenses. Some destinations, however, only accept passports.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 01:06 PM
Ronnie

Mark, I am chuckling with you too. It seems like people feel they are giving up their identity when they get a passport! It makes it so much easier, especially now, after 9/11, it would seem that people would be rushing to get one. It is obvious, that soon we will have some sort of travel document that will be mandatory! That may be a passport, so why wait? Avoid the rush!<BR>Ronnie

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 01:14 PM
Mary

The reason I don't get a passport has nothing to do with giving up my identity. We don't travel that often. The birth certificates and the driver's licenses we have already so it doesn't cost us anything, and like I said before, I've never had any problems. Passports expire, birth certificates don't. Plus, I know before I leave whether or not birth certificates are acceptable so I know I won't be denied at any airport. What is so hard to believe? They're no big deal, really.