Cancun or Cayman with older kids?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if anyone could help me decide between Cancun or the Cayman's.

My kids are older, 22,19,and 13.
Our travel dates are the week before Easter.

I'm concerned Cancun will be overcrowded, being Easter break.
I've never been there but it looks like a place my kids would like. Oh, I did reserve some rooms in the Marriott Casa Magna.
The pool looks great and I think my kids will like the waves in Cancun. The other Marriott was booked. Cancun is a around a thousand dollars less then Cayman.

We have accommodations in a condo in the Caymans on hold or we could stay at the Westin. The Caymans are great for nature adventures like snorkeling and Sting Ray City. Also the turtle farm. The water is beautiful and calm. I just think they might get bored in the Caymans.

Is it more expensive to dine in the Caymans or are both places about the same. Grand Cayman is known for being expensive. I read a beer at the Westin in Cayman was $15.

I'm thinking I'll be fighting over beach chairs and umbrellas no matter where I go at that time. I hope not.

Thanks
TM
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 09:44 AM

Grand Cayman restaurants are typically much more than equivalent restaurants in Cancun, but you'll certainly find the atmosphere quieter and nicer IMHO. Cancun is party-central during Spring Break, so I simply can't recommend it at all during that time period.

While I can't imagine getting bored in Grand Cayman as long as you like to snorkel and go to the beach, if you are concerned about that, then you'd probably do better at the Westin than at a condo ... if only because there will be more people there. Cancun is almost certainly going to be cheaper than Grand Cayman on every level.

Ultimately you have to make this decision. Your older kids will like the party atmosphere in Cancun if that's what they are into, and the hotels there are typically bigger and bolder, so if that appeals to you, then you might still want to go to Cancun.
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 09:53 AM

Hi TiaMaria,
I've not been to Cayman's but I stayed at the Marriott Casa Magna in June but only for one night... after spending a week near Tulum in Akumal which was wonderful so maybe consider this area too. I also spent a week in Cancun about 4 years ago and I think the restaurants would be cheaper than Caymans but are expensive for Mexico (we ate better in Akumal for less than in the hotel zone Cancun).

The Casa Magna was very nice we had a rate which included breakfast which was good but not outstanding. OOdles of choice but it was busy so the service was slow. The pool is also nice but remember you can use the pool at the JW Marriott next door which is so much nicer (loved the infinity pool) but you don't get to use their towels so take some from CM if you stay here.

Old Sep 26th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Doug you summarized that so beautifully. But that's why you're the editor.

Would the Riviera Maya area be a little quieter? Read some posts and the snorkeling sounds great.

TM

Old Sep 26th, 2007, 03:25 PM

Yes, I do think the Riviera Maya would be much quieter than Cancun or even Cozumel. And there are some lovely resorts there even if you want to stay in a more developed place and not a simpler small hotel. The further you get from Cancun, the further you get from the party crowd. So this might be a good alternative for not much more money (but I would say if you decide to do the Riviera Maya you should look into flying into Cozumel instead of Cancun since it's closer). There are a lot of Riviera Maya fans on this board, so I hope you'll get some good recommendations.
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 05:34 PM

yes but flying into cozumel involves that pesky 1/2hr ferry ride after the flight. just something to consider with luggage for 5.
drive from cancun airport to playa del carmen takes about 45 mins. and a van can be arranged to take your family directly to your resort. or more likely resort will transport you.
agree that this would be a good area. Lots to do in and outside of the resorts. much cheaper than caymans.
check out www.locogringo.com