Only 3 nights-Am I crazy?

Aug 14th, 2003, 06:43 PM
caribtraveler

Only 3 nights-Am I crazy?

My husband and I are planning for a long weekend away for our 4th anniversary the first weekend of October. We have booked the Hilton at Niagara Falls. But now, I'm rethinking because of the weather (probably 60s). I hate the cold. I really really hate the cold (my husband is a New Yorker so the cold doesn't bug him).
Now I'm thinking a quick trip to the Caribbean (My husband is ready to strangle me for changing my mind).
I'm thinking an island with not much to do but sun and swim so we won't feel like we're missing anything...like Grand Cayman or Anguilla.
We'll only be gone for 3 nights because our 17-month-old will be left with my sister-in-law for more than one night for the very first time.
So..be honest..is 3 nights too short? Will I be whining on the way back, as my husband says?
Anybody ever done that?
Thank you.

Aug 14th, 2003, 07:04 PM

Nope, you are not crazy. My husband and I are leaving for Negril next weekend for 3 days... It is a little short, but enough time to get a little R&R, which is what we are needing!

If I was only going for three days, I would go to an island where I have been to, so that I would know "the lay of the land", so to speak.

My opinion, I am sure that you would have a great time! It is always hard to leave the Caribbean, no matter how long you have been there!
Aug 14th, 2003, 07:31 PM

Not crazy at all,I have booked a weekend away for my fiance as a surprise birthday/anniversary present. I am torn however between 2 nights/ 3 days at La Source or 3 nights/4 days at Rex Grenadian.Which boils down to 2 nights at a 4+ star vs 3 nights at a 3 star hotel.

Seeing as it is a special occasion I have booked La Source (can't beat the pampering, four poster bed and spa treatments)but still considering switching to Rex for that extra night/day

Call me crazy, but I think a romantic weekend away is the sweetest thing ever no matter how short!
Aug 14th, 2003, 11:57 PM
OT

It can be done, but take into consideration the time to get there in relation to how much time you get on the beach. And talking from own experience, once the child gets settled in another day won't matter to them.

Do not know about Grand Cayman.
But on Anguilla all 3 top resorts (Cap J, CusinArt and Malliouhana) and many other hotels are closed and so are most of the restaurants.

October is low season and also hurricane season, that's the reason they close.

Just a few thoughts from me.
Aug 15th, 2003, 03:10 AM

Where are you leaving from? I would do a 3-day trip in a heartbeat, but I would only go somewhere I could get to very easily and quickly -- say arrival by lunchtime and departure after 3 p.m. -- so as to make the most of it. Bear in mind, too, that October (low season) flights will be a reduced schedule, so your choices for convenient travel times might be limited. Depending on where you are traveling from, some easy destinations might be Puerto Rico (San Juan is a sexy, romantic city); St. Thomas(direct flights from JFK, Phila, others); Cancun; etc. Congrats on your anniversary.
Aug 15th, 2003, 05:43 AM

Here's another vote for Not Crazy. I've made two different 3-night trips to the Caribbean and they were both worth every penny. I definitely second the notion that you check out only those islands that will not involve more than 1/2 a day of travel to get to, otherwise your first day/night is nearly wasted. Also, if you're considering visiting one of the larger islands (Jamaica for example) you may want to cut down your travel time once you arrive by choosing a hotel or resort that is within an easy distance from the airport.

Go and have a great time!
Aug 15th, 2003, 05:46 AM

oh, and don't forget to take out trip insurance to cover any possible hurricanes. And despite their distance from the US mainland, you might want to consider aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, or Trinidada, as they are less likely to see any hurricane or heavy storm action.
Aug 15th, 2003, 06:40 AM

Nope, you're not crazy at all. We have young kids too so we don't like to go anywhere without them for longer than 3 nights. As others have mentioned, we pick our destination based where we can get to as quickly as possible. From here in DC, we don't have many direct flights to the Caribbean so we've accepted having to spend a half day travelling on each end. Recent trips have included Mexico and the Bahamas. I would love to one day go to Barbados or some of the more remote islands but that will have to wait until the boys are older since the flights from here are so long. By then end of our trips, even after just a few days, I'm always ready to go home, just to get back to my babies. Enjoy!
Aug 15th, 2003, 10:10 AM

Go for it! But I agree w/those recommending that you choose an island you can get to in the least amount of time. Anguilla will take too long. Puerto Rico is a great choice--no changing planes. But if you are flying from N.Y. and can get a nonstop to Aruba, that has my vote. Dramatically reduces the chance of a hurricane. Have fun.
Aug 15th, 2003, 05:01 PM
caribtraveler

Yeah! Thank you for all your responses. We did discuss doing a non-stop flight and a closer island to cut out the travel time...that of course reduces the number of islands to pick from...which is fine...so you guys suggesting it reinforced our idea.
We'd be leaving from Newark, NJ. We talked about Jamaica, DR, St. Thomas, Bahamas and Puerto Rico (for the easiest/fastest places to get to).
So now, decisions, decisions...
Thanks again.

Aug 15th, 2003, 05:03 PM
caribtraveler

oh and thanks for the Aruba suggestions. we did that for our honeymoon. had a great time. but we'd rather do an island we haven't done yet.

Aug 15th, 2003, 06:55 PM

Yes,your out of your mind.Between getting to airport(2hrs ahead of time),flight,retrieving bags, customs,traveling to hotel,by the time you get there you got maybe a couple hours to unwind.Then you got one whole day to enjoy and if it rains your fuct.Tka atleast 4 days.Best quick trip from NY is Ocean Club Bahmas quick early flight,your on the beach at noon.
Aug 16th, 2003, 04:18 AM

Why not go to Bermuda, 1.5hrs out of New York, great time to go, weather is great and the beaches are fabulous. Perfect for a long weekend not much travel time involved. Look into Pink Beach Club, The Reefs, Elbow Beach Club, or Stonington all have beautiful beaches on site. Pink Beach is 10 minutes from the airport. Good Luck!!
Aug 16th, 2003, 05:50 AM

I get bored on a 7 night vacation, I think 3 to 4 nights is perfect!!!
Aug 16th, 2003, 07:14 AM

Not crazy at all! I would recommend Puerto Rico for one major reason - you don't have to go though immigration/customs either going or coming back.

We returned last Saturday from the Playa del Carmen area (flying in and out of Cancun). While we *love* this area and had a great time, I would not recommend it for 3 days. We were in line 30 minutes at the Cancun airport to go through Immigration and on the return there was a computer slowdown at the Philadelphia airport and we were 1.5 hours waiting in line just to show our passports.
Aug 16th, 2003, 10:13 AM
caribtraveler

mrplum: i'm out of my mind?? you're my husband, aren't you??? (smile)
seriously, i'd love to do longer but i don't think i'd be able to deal being away from my son that long. he'll be fine with my sister-in-law. i just won't!
dianel: i like the bermuda idea. i'll look into that.
thanks!

Aug 16th, 2003, 04:59 PM

Crazy.... HELL NO ! ! ! !

I regularly leave Toronto on a Thursday morning 7:00 a.m. flight to Havana. I arrive, check thru immigration/customs, taxi to my friends house to dump my bags, then taxi to the city and am ensconced in my favourite Habana Vieja cafe by noon.
From noon Thursday till late Sunday afternoon, I can see the sights, hit the beaches, visit friends, and otherwise depressurize in a hundred different ways.
I'm back at the airport Sunday afternoon at 4:00 p.m. to check in for my flight and back in my home in Toronto by 10:00 p.m. Sunday night.
I'm wonderfully refreshed, relaxed and best of all I've only used two vacation days of my 10 day allowance.
Forget the nay-sayers and have a great mini vacation, wherever you choose to go.
Steve
Aug 16th, 2003, 06:34 PM

We returned last month from Our Lucaya in the Caribbean where we spent 2 nights and 3 days. Our flights were direct and just over 2 hours. It was the first time my husdand and I had been away alone in 6 years and it was wonderful!! Our airfare was very inexpensive and we got a AAA rate of $149/night at the Westin. The hotel was fairly empty and the beach was lovely. We had a deluxe corner high up ocean front room with a huge balcony. The food choices were just okay and very expensive but all in all for <&1000 it was well worth it. We usually vacation in Anguilla type spots(quiet, good beaches) but this certainly fit the bill for a little romance. Threehearts
Aug 18th, 2003, 10:43 AM

If you decide on Jamaica, the Ritz is a bargain at this time of year. But customs does take FOREVER and will cut into your precious time. Puerto Rico has my vote.
Aug 18th, 2003, 04:19 PM

I went to Jamaica in April and I was amazed at how quickly we got through customs - there were so many lines that the wait was short and they didn't go through anything.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO