Only 2 days in Puerto Rico

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For my honeymoon in August, I'll be stopping in Puerto Rico for 2 days before heading to St. Maarten. Since my time in Puerto Rico is so short, I'm looking on recommendations for maximizing my stay and what area I should stay. I would like to see El Yunque, Old San Juan and some nice beaches. I'm thinking about staying at El Convento in San Juan and just taking a bus to the different areas as I heard driving is not recommended! Any advice is appreciated!

Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 04:51 PM
Rob

You would probably be better off staying at a hotel in the Condado or Isla Verde since either provides quick access to the beach. The bus idea is not the way to go to maxinize your time in PR
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 07:20 PM

I would stay at a hotel on the beach. The hotels will offer sight seeing services if you do not wish to rent a car.The Wyndham in Isla Verde or Condado area. Condado is close to Old San Juan, the Fort, and walking around. Also if you are at least in the area, you can take a cab.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 05:46 AM

I've visited PR and did not experience any problems while driving. Since you are only there for 2 days, having a car is the best way to maximize your time. El Convento has a parking lot, but if you stay in Condado or Isla Verde, do not drive into Old San Juan. Traffic is bad, and public parking is limited. There are however some public parking garages at the end of Norzagary near El Morro.

Be sure to visit El Yunque. The drive from Old San Juan took us about 45 minutes. On the way there or back, be sure to visit Luquillo Beach.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 05:58 AM

I agree with the advice of staying in the Condado area. You can always take a cab into Old San Juan when you want to visit that area. You should also find tours to various sites available at most hotels in the Condado area.

When we went for only two days in the past, we did all the same things you have mentioned. We took cabs to Old San Juan and back, then did group tours thru the hotel for the rainforest and beach excursions.

I agree that driving seems hazardous there. I don't rent cars in San Juan, but I have no problem driving on St. Maarten.

Good luck!
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 08:55 AM

We just got back from 3 days in San Juan, where we went for our anniversary. We stayed at El Convento and loved it. Obviously it?s very subjective, but I much preferred El Convento to the high-rise hotels we saw in Isla Verde and Condado. They were fine, but basically the same as you would find in any beach area. I also liked staying in Old San Juan ? excellent restaurants, pleasant to stroll around ? I just wasn?t that impressed by the Isla Verde and Condado neighborhoods, and the beaches are nothing special ? brown sand and not particularly long.

We rented a car for one day, and that?s the only part of the trip I regret ? the driving is terrible (and we live in the Washington, D.C. area, which has been rated 2nd worst for traffic after L.A.). From Old San Juan, a cab to Isla Verde is $16, and I think to Condado is $12, so you could do a round-trip for the same cost as renting a car, without the hassle.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 08:56 AM

Please ignore the question marks in my previous post. Something screwy happened when I submitted it!
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 11:23 AM

Well I just wrote a reply to this message that did not post. SO let me try again

blue67, If you stay at El COnvento two days in Puerto Rico will allow you to spend a day in Old San Juan and a day taking a tour to El Yunque. If you rent a car, you could spend the morning at El Yunque and drive in the afternoon to a beach outside San Juan (such as Luquillo beach).

There is no reason to rent a car if to drive within San Juan. The only reason to rent a car is if you want to explore outside of San Juan. With only two days, I recommend just taking tours.

You could also take the catamaran tour that picks you up at the hotel and drives you to fajardo where you board on a catamaran for a snorkeling trip off the cays.

I went to a wedding at El Convento over New Year's and saw a couple of the rooms. It's a very romantic hotel and there are tons of excellent restaurants within walking distance. If you prefer staying closer to the airport and on the beach, you can stay at the Ritz Carlton or the EL San Juan in Isla Verde, less than 5 minutes from the airport.

With two days, you will only be able to see about 2 attractions, because otherwise it may get to be too hectic.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 04:44 AM

Mariarosa, What is the name, phone number of the catamaran tour you've used to go snorkling? One option not emphasized in these messages is to rent a car just for a day and take 52 to Ponce. (It takes 75-90 minutes?) It's a stunning drive through the mountains and Ponce is as intriguing as Old San Juan. You should tour the streets (beautiful old homes), see the firehouse, go to the Museum. Warning! I've gotten lost driving in Ponce on more than one occassion. For the other day, I agree that you should try the rainforest, Old SJ or Isla Verde or Luquillo. (There's good, reasonable BBQ in Isla Verde-Sammy's?-and you can sit on the porch and envy the beach and water sports.) You'd be rushing if you tried to combine 2 of these options in one day.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 08:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Glenn - I think you mean Sonny's.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 09:06 AM

Tom42, Right you are-thanks-Glenn
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 06:59 AM

Glenn, I don't remember the name of the company. There are various companies that do the same day sail - I have done it twice with 2 different companies. I found their ads in the "Que Pasa" Magazine which is a glossy mag published by PR Tourism. I picked it up at the airport from one of the tourism reps.

I assume Que Pasa is still being published, but even if its not, the tourism personnel on the Arrivals area st SJU should be able to help.