Search

One day in Aruba

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One day in Aruba

We are taking a cruise this winter and one stop is Aruba. Meeting friends for the day at the Holiday Inn. Interested in hiring a driver to show us around the island and taking us to their hotel. Any suggestions?
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 04:01 PM

Are you opposed to renting a car?
Aruba's a small island and it's very easy to navigate there.
I would think that hiring your own car (even for a few hours) would be cheaper and provide more flexibility.
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion. Checked with Hertz and I can pick a car up at the dock and drop it off at the Holiday Inn for appox. $42 for an a/c automatic something. What sights are there to see?
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 09:11 PM

The rental car is definitely the way to go. Aruba is *SO* easy to drive around.

If you just have one day, maybe drive up to the California Lighthouse and have lunch at el Faro. Wander around the streets of Oranjestad, or perhaps just hang out on the beach.

If you wanted to rent a Jeep instead of a regular car, it opens up the possibility of exploring some of the north shore backcountry, if that's more to your liking.

I've got a few ideas for other things to do on Aruba on my photo web page: http://www.tiogringo.com/aruba.html

Have fun!
Mark
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 07:07 AM

The natural bridge and abandoned gold mine are good attractions, esp. the former. There is a wreck of a WW II German freighter to snorkel as well. The shopping is great. Enjoy, Larry
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 08:32 AM

You should definately do a tour of the island. Aruba has a varied and interesting topography. Baby Back Beach was one of our favourate places for snorkelling. A visit to Charlies in St. Nicholas is always worth the experience. It is easy to do your own driving...you can't really get lost.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I live in New York, so unless there are land mines on the road, the driving should be a piece of cake. How much time should I figure for a leisurely drive around the island? We plan to start at the docks and end at our friend's hotel, the Holiday Inn.
Glenn
Glenn