Reload this Page >

Ole Works vs. Olde Yarde Inns?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 10:38 AM
Abby

Hello! <BR> <BR>Planning a sailing/diving trip to the BVI's in November. Curious if anybody has strong opinions of either of these inns. How is the vicinity to the beaches? Food? <BR> <BR>We're looking for someplace moderately priced, but hopefully with some charm and character. Modern distractions like TV is not a priority for us. <BR> <BR>Thanks for your input!

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 06:34 AM
jbrooks

Hi, we are planning our second trip this November to Tortola and Virgin gorda. After hours of research and advice and several forums, I booked a delux room at Ole Works Inn. I have heard nothing but good things about the hotel and staff. It is a re-converted sugar mill, so I think it will be very charming...at least the brochure makes it look so. Also, it is right accross a narrow dirt road from Cane Garden Bay, probably the best beach on Tortola for swimming, some activities, yachts in the harbor, beach bars, etc. Smugglers Cove and a couple of others are not too far if you want more secluded beaches. <BR> <BR>For food, Quitos Gazebo (owned by Quito, who also owns the hotel) is right next door to the hotel, but so are many other beach bar/grills right on the beach so you can try new dishes every night! <BR> <BR>Maybe we will see you there in November (18 - 23)?

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 01:45 PM
Joel

Abby, Ol Works is an excellent choice on Tortola. I've seen it many times on visits to Cane Garden Bay, although I stay at Frenchman's Cay. <BR>I've also seen Olde Yarde Inn and would say that that is pretty much the Virgin Gorda equivalent of Ol' Works. One advantage of OY is its restaurant which is much better than what you'd expect for the inn. When I think of food on Virgin Gorda I guess I'd rate OY as better than the $$$$ resorts except Biras Creek. In that respect, OW doesn't compare, inasmuch as the logical place to eat if you're at OW is Quito's which is across the street. It has nice ambiance, but our one meal there did not bear repetition. I would not let that comment dissuade me from staying at OW and do not mean it to. <BR>Really, imo, it comes down to which island you prefer. I will opt for Tortola any day of the week. VG has many beaches better than the best Tortolan beaches, yet Cane Garden is excellent and as JBrooks noted, Smugglers and a few others are nearby. But for things to do and variety of experience Tortola is my clear preference. Among other things, St. Thomas and St. John are a short ferry ride away so you can easily get in a day's shopping or sight-seeing if that rings your bell. (There's a ferry terminal at West End very close to USVI a cab ride away.) <BR>A suggestion if you can afford it... rent a car for your time there. National might be the closest rental agency and it is at Long Bay to the west of where you would be at OY. They come and pick you up, take you to the agency, do the paperwork, and send you on your way. I seem to recall that the agencies are accessible from bviwelcome.com. If I can help please drop me an e-mail.

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 02:04 PM
Anne

Ditto on all scores. Great restaurant at Olde Yarde and very nice beach, but I get bored on the island from lack of variety. And mid-vacation I have this urge to go over to Charlotte Amalie for a frenzy of bargain-shopping and Tortola is a short ride with no stops at Road Town. <BR>We also stay at Frenchman's which is, I suppose, the next notch up the dollar ladder, but very, very worthwhile if you can manage it. You might take into account that if you book a place that provides meals in their package and gives you a full kitchen (Frenchman's and some others) then you can save a bunch on food. I have figured that I save about $500 on a week's stay because of the meals covered by the package and the kitchen to keep sandwich meats and light meals cool and ready for cooking. A car is in the package so we pick up frozen ready-to-eat dishes at a local yacht provisioner's. It all adds up.

Old Oct 7th, 2000, 09:07 AM
Abby

Hello again! <BR> <BR>Wow, thanks for all the indepth, great responses! I just booked Olde Yarde Inn, based on your good recommendations and close proximity to the Dive BVI dive shop on Virgin Gorda. We will be exploring Tortola the week before Virgin Gorda on a sailboat, so I concluded that this will give us a good taste of both islands. <BR> <BR>Thanks again!

Old Oct 7th, 2000, 05:27 PM
Nancy

Savannah Bay, a few minutes drive from Old Yard is one of the best ever beaches in the Caribbean. It is deserted with wonderful, clear water. We were just visited there.