Reload this Page >

Norwegian or Royal Caribbean?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 1998, 07:06 AM
Jane Sweatt

My husband and I are taking our first cruise (15th anniversary )in January and have narrowed our choices down to NCL Dream or RC Rhapsody. Any opinions/comments about either would be appreciated. I've read a lot about RC in this forum, but have seen next to nothing about NCL. Also, what can we expect weather-wise in January in the Southern Caribbean? Any help is much appreciated!

Old Jun 14th, 1998, 07:17 AM
Lisa

Without a doubt, Royal Caribbean is the best choice. The food quality alone is better on RCCL. Service is also above standard. If you can't afford Cunard, then RC will have to do. <BR> <BR>Weather in the Caribbean at the end of January should be the last of your worries. It should be perfect! Enjoy your trip! <BR> <BR>Lisa

Old Jun 15th, 1998, 05:20 PM
Cassie

I have sailed on both and think either one would be a great choice. Either of these lines is classier than Carnival, and more fun than Holland American [I have sailed all of the above]. Roth NCL and RCCL are owned and sailed by Norwegians and it shows - they are spotless, food is great. I'd take whichever one carries the fewest passengers and goes where you want - the MEGAships are too many people.

Old Jun 20th, 1998, 12:43 PM
Eleanor

If you are looking for the maximum enjoyment, along with the classiest treatment and the finest food then go for RCCL! We are frequent cruisers and there is just no comparison. Norwegian is wonderful if you are in your 50's and up and want everything at a slower pace. But if you enjoy elegance AND activity, Royal Carribean is the way to go. We are--Nov. 29, 1998 on the Enchantment of the Seas. This will be our 3rd with RCCL and we intend to try every one of their ships!

Old Jun 29th, 1998, 03:18 PM
Rachel

My husband and I sailed on the Rhapsody of the Seas in December of last year and just really enjoyed the gorgeous ship and the itinerary. I have not sailed Norwegian before, but have sailed both RCCL and Carnival many times, and I would just highly recommend Royal Caribbean. We have had wonderful experiences on Royal Caribbean cruises and met many interesting people. The rooms are very small but beautifully decorated. The service is polished, professional, and perfect. The food is delicious. Feel free to email me if you have questions.

Old Jun 30th, 1998, 11:50 AM
Dee

You can find lots of reviews of cruises at www.cruiseopinion.com that will help you in your decision. If you know the ship's name, you can get even more specific recommendations...Have fun!

Old Jul 2nd, 1998, 10:14 AM
Josh W

Sailed on the Rhapsody in February, 1998, our second RCCL trip. The cruise was fantastic - great ports, spacious cabins, wonderful staff.... In general the ship is spectacular. We haven't been on NCL, but can say that my wife and I love RCCL. We're in our mid 30's and have found that they cater to the things we like - top notch service, good food and pleasant accomodations. The one complaint this time was that they seemed to be moving a little closer to the Carnival style of entertainment. There were belly flop contests in the pool and we were awakened each morning by Tom the cruise director telling us all the fun things we could do. We'll definitely sail with them again, but hopefully they won't do anthing more that might invade on a peaceful vacation. <BR>

Old Jul 2nd, 1998, 12:31 PM
gordon

<BR>I know this isn't one of your 2 final choices, but i would definety consider princess. With the most beutiful ships, best shore excursions, personalized service, and interesting itineraries, princss is really in a level of it's own. I'm sure rccl and norwegian are just fine, but i would definetly take princess over both of them

Old Jul 8th, 1998, 12:38 PM
Lynn

We cruised NCL the end of January. Weather was perfect and the cruise line was tops! Very clean, wonderful food, and friendly staff. I would strongly recommend!!

Old Jul 9th, 1998, 12:18 PM
Alicia

We have sailed on Norwegian, Royal Caribbean, Princess and Carnival. By far the best is Royal Caribbean. Norweigian was sadly one of the worst cruises we ever travelled on and would never want to repeat this line again. <BR>

Old Jul 19th, 1998, 09:27 PM
Elaine

Not to further confuse you, but I would heartily recommend a Celebrity cruise. We've sailed on the Century (twice), the Horizon and the Zenith. All the ships are beautiful and immaculately maintained, the service and cuisine are outstanding, and you don't have someone in your face constantly trying to sell you drinks. There are very few onboard announcements, and I really appreciated that. Just the perfect vacation, and January should be blissful in the Caribbean. <BR>

Old Jul 21st, 1998, 02:13 PM
gereen albouy

I've sailed on RCCL 3 times and on Holland American 3 times.I enjoyed RCCL it was fun and the entertainment was excellent.Never been on the Norweigian Line and will be trying the Carnival line this September. You should enjoy the RCCL line as they aim for "excellence". In January you should expect some good weather. <BR>Have a good trip!! <BR>GA <BR>

Old Oct 23rd, 1998, 07:28 AM
Leann

Cruised to Bermuda aboard the Dreamward in 1995 with my sister and a friend. Absolutely loved NCL! Crew was extremely helpful and friendly, food was exceptional and ship was spotless and beautiful. Activities and excursions were well organized and fun. The cruise we were on seemed to have all age groups abourd and from toddlers up everyone seemed to be well entertained and happy! <BR>

Old Oct 26th, 1998, 01:36 PM
Nigel

We took our first cruise in October 1998--on RC's Vision of the Seas. While the food, food service, and cabin service were very good, the rest was horrible. RC left everyone's luggage uncovered in the rain so that many people's clothes were at least damp. The air/sea travel package was a farce--putting us on prop planes from Baltimore to NYC; then from NYC to Boston--for the tidy sum of @$300 per person. We paid extra to have a cabin with a balcony--but it was above a very noisy lounge. The pursers ignored our complaints for 6 of the 10 days aboard. I could never recommend RC.

Old Oct 26th, 1998, 01:37 PM
Nigel

We took our first cruise in October 1998--on RC's Vision of the Seas. While the food, food service, and cabin service were very good, the rest was horrible. RC left everyone's luggage uncovered in the rain so that many people's clothes were at least damp. The air/sea travel package was a farce--putting us on prop planes from Baltimore to NYC; then from NYC to Boston--for the tidy sum of @$300 per person. We paid extra to have a cabin with a balcony--but it was above a very noisy lounge. The pursers ignored our complaints for 6 of the 10 days aboard. I could never recommend RC.