Reload this Page >

News Flash: Aruba has Crime

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2000, 01:25 PM
duhh

THE ARUBA TRADWINDS TIME WITH SOME SAFETY TIPS. <BR> <BR>August 18th 2000, <BR> <BR>Oranjestad, <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>1. Never leave your valuables unattended at the beach hut. Resorts are not held <BR>responsible for unattended stolen valuables. <BR> <BR>2. Whenever you leave your car make sure the doors are locked, even if you are out for <BR>5 minutes this to avoid a possible joyriding. <BR> <BR>3. Make sure that you do not leave personal belongings visible inside the car when <BR>leaving it unattended. Visible belongings are tempting for thieves which may brake <BR>the car glass to get what they want. <BR> <BR>4. If you are renting a car ask the dealer if the car does have a car alarm or a security <BR>wheel lock. <BR> <BR>5. When you are in your hotel rooms make sure that your doors are locked at all times, <BR>when sleeping at night make sure the latch is pulled. <BR> <BR>6. We must make better use of the safety deposit box located at your hotel or at the <BR>front desk. The safety deposit box is used to deposit your valuables. Valuable papers such <BR>as passports, additional credit cars and jewelry should be deposited in the safety box. <BR>If you are afraid to lose your safety deposit key when going out you can always give this <BR>to the front desk to then pick your key back when you return. Be sure to get the name of <BR>The person at the front desk to which you have given the safety deposit key. <BR> <BR>7. When going out at night, make sure you do not carry all your spending money with <BR>you or additional credit cards and other important cards. Again all these can be deposited <BR>in the safety deposit box. <BR> <BR>8. Make sure to have all valuables placed in the safety deposit box whenever the housekeeper is <BR>cleaning your room even if you are in the room. This to avoid misunderstanding of lost valuable <BR>items. Make sure that your luggage is also locked when you leave your room with the housekeeper <BR>cleaning. Most housekeepers are very nice people, but we can not trust all of them. <BR> <BR>9. If you do see a group or a person that seems suspicious to you at your resort, do not hesitate <BR>to call security. <BR> <BR>In Aruba it is safe to walk at night in town. It is also safe to walk at night on the beaches without <BR>being bothered. Aruba is not crime infested, I must mention that their has been no murder in Aruba <BR>this year, however crime is everywhere including Aruba, common has to be used to avoid potential crime. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 8th, 2000, 07:18 AM
Geoff

Been to Aruba 6 times, never had a problem. I mean nothing. Went to Freeport, got mugged (and offered drugs numerous times). Went to St. Martin, got robbed -- saw lots of unsavory characters. <BR> <BR>Along with Grand Cayman, Aruba is the safest island in the Caribbean. <BR> <BR>Enough said.

Old Sep 8th, 2000, 07:59 AM
Janet

NEW FLASH!!!??? Aruba has dirty beaches...Aruba has crime. <BR> <BR>[email protected] and Karen [email protected] seem to be the same person. What is your problem with Aruba? <BR> <BR>I have been to Aruba and the beaches were clean, the hotels were wonderful, the locals were FANTASTIC and we found it very safe. We walked the beaches at all hours of the day and night and downtown Oranjestad was also safe at all hours. <BR> <BR>All of your suggestions for a safe holiday in Aruba apply to ANY city or island on the face of this earth. <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 8th, 2000, 08:02 AM
Doris298

[email protected] and Karen [email protected]........ <BR> <BR>GET A LIFE!!!!

Old Sep 8th, 2000, 08:24 AM
duhh

I do have a life; informing people of realities. All this happy news about Aruba and nobody talks about the problems. You don't like it, ignore it. Inquiring minds want to know the truth.

Old Sep 8th, 2000, 09:36 AM
tobey

Having spent my last two vacations in Jamaica and Aruba, I'm convinced that perceived "safety" is a continuum and people tend to exaggerate at both ends of the scale. We had a great time in Jamaica, which is a much prettier island than Aruba; it is undoubtedly one of the "less safe" Caribbean islands, but some tourists seem to confuse vendors with criminals. When Americans visit a reportedly "safe" island like Aruba, they are shocked that any crime occurs at all, and sometimes neglect to take reasonable measures to protect their belongings. <BR>I haven't been to St. Martin yet, but after all the heated messages on this board, I can't wait to check it out ! <BR>

Old Sep 8th, 2000, 10:06 AM
Doirs298

[email protected] Karen [email protected], <BR> <BR>Why trump up false news stories about Aruba and pretend that they are true? <BR>You are exaggerating things about Aruba and making people think that Aruba is not safe when it is!!!! Sorry but you do really need to get a life!! <BR>

Old Sep 8th, 2000, 11:52 AM
Clark

Doris: <BR> <BR>But these are real. I got them on a news site for Aruba. Just the facts, maam. <BR> <BR>Geoff: Like your style, but what does an unsavory character look like anyway; dark glasses and trench coat?

Old Sep 8th, 2000, 04:24 PM
Karen

I am Karen and I am neither "duhh" nor "anon." LOL! But, then I was not thrilled with my vacation on Aruba. I hated the wind with that stinging blowing sand making it impossible to enjoy the beach (altho it is a lovely beach)! Had no concerns that I recall with safety but did not find the Islanders particularly friendly and warm! I still wonder if this is the "Most happy island" what the unhappy ones are like - they must be miserable and I haven't found one where people appeared more unhappy than on Aruba. I don't like the hirises elbow to elbow and people "saving" chairs with towels and all the things that made me think that I was in a Miami Beach suburb altho in the Caribb. Each island has negatives and positives and thankfully we don't all like the same! My not returning will just leave that much more space for those of you who love it! Aside from that, those safety hints are applicable anywhere you travel whether to Aruba or any other spot in the world!

Old Sep 9th, 2000, 03:03 AM
Karen

Hi duhh: <BR>These warning could apply to anyplace you visit. Try to appreciate what is there and do not compare to a place where you live. You sound like a person who is not too happy with your own life. There is so much beauty. Did you notice?