Reload this Page >

NEW CUBAN TAX RIPOFF! ! !

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 01:20 PM
Steve

The Cuban Government has instituted a NEW TAX on arriving visitors to Cuba. They will weigh all of your luggage, INCLUDING ALL CARRY ON PIECES, PURSES, CAMERA BAGS ETC. and there is a NEW TAX of $25.00 USD per KILOGRAM for any weight in excess of 20 Kilograms (44 lbs). This is in ADDITION to any extra payment the airline might have charged you to carry the excess baggage down.<BR><BR>It would seem that the reason for this is so that you will not take any extra stuff to leave with Cuban locals. They want their Cuban citizens to have to buy (if they can afford it) their necessities through government stores so that they can make a profit from their citizens. <BR><BR>I think the Cuban Government will shortly find out that they are slowly KILLING THE GOOSE THAT LAYED THE GOLDEN EGG.... namely the tourist dollar. They have become excessively GREEDY and it will only HURT them in the long-run. For any person carrying camera(s), scuba diving equipment, golf clubs, ETC., the excess weight charge will become prohibitive to travel to Cuba. I personally have dive equipment and specialized camera equipment that weight around 15 kilos over my normal baggage weight. If the Cuban government thinks I will pay $375 USD ($560. CAN) TAX to use it in their country.... well they can kiss my frequent visits goodbye. I have been there six (6) times. There are other places that will welcome my tourist dollars and not try to RIP ME OFF.<BR><BR>Steve<BR>

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 01:27 PM
Mary

There's a good remedy to that scam. Keep your gifts in your pockets. I'd guess money would be the best gift of all anyway. This is the straw that breaks the camel's back IMO. I would never go to Cuba, even if I could, because of the way they treat their own.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 01:36 PM
Joyce

<BR>NEWS - Destination<BR><BR>Cuba official: Baggage weight limits not for tourists (10/7/2002)<BR><BR><BR>TORONTO -- Tourists arriving in Cuba are not subject to new weight limits on personal belongings, according to Cuban customs officials who issued a clarification Oct. 7 regarding new customs taxes slated to take effect Nov. 1. <BR>The new tax ruling first appeared on a Web site Sept. 27 maintained by the General Customs of the Republic of Cuba (www.aduana.islagrande.cu). Several newspapers in Canada and Miami then reported that visitors would be charged hefty arrivals taxes, based on the weight of their baggage. <BR><BR>A deluge of inquiries at the Web site prompted the clarification. <BR><BR>A spokesman for the Cuban Tourist Board here said that "there are no changes. Tourists may continue to import personal belongings free of Customs duties and without weight limits." <BR><BR>The new regulations pertain to non-tourist arrivals. <BR><BR> <BR>

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 03:05 PM
Debbie

Hi Steve....hopefully Joyce's report is true and this new tax doesn't apply to tourists. My husband is a diver and was almost ready to cancel our trip at the end of November to Cayo Guillermo. Hopefully our travel agents will have the full story on this issue.<BR>So Steve, seeing as I cannot get anyone to respond to questions on diving on this site, can you tell me if you have any diving experience around Cayo Guillermo. We've picked the Melia Cayo Guillermo to stay in - any comments on their dive shop and the diving in that area? Much thanks

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 05:31 PM
Steve

Hi Debbie et all:<BR><BR>Well, I have now checked out the Cuban Customs Website (www.aduana.islagrande.cu) and it appears that the Cubans have indeed issued a "clarification". Of course I firmly believe that the "clarificaion" is the relsult of considerable pressure brought to bear by tour operators and the Canadian Government who made an official diplomatic complaint about the proposed tax. I think the Cubans might have floated a trial balloon to see what the reaction would be, and the "clarification" is the result of that. Diplomatic speak for ooooops!!!<BR><BR>I have never done any diving at Cayo Guillermo. All of my dives in Cuba have been at the International Diving Centre on Isla Juventud off the south coast. The only hotel on the island is called the Colony Hotel. Only a two star hotel at best, but at least it's clean! But most divers will put up with a 2 star hotel to get 5 star diving. And the diving was definately 5 star. Wall dives, wreck/reef dives, night dives, simply wonderful. And best of all, the dive sites are nicely spread out so that you never end up with 6 dive boats at the one site. Each dive boat seems to always end up totally alone at each site. Good co-ordination on the Cuban's part. Also there is a chamber at the site should that emergency ever happen. Nice and comforting to know. Also the sites have not been over-dove so there is very minimal or no damage to the corals etc. I went down with a company called Scubacan but I believe they might not have survived the 9/11 travel slump.<BR><BR>As to the Melia Hotel, well I have also stayed at the Melia Club Sol Cayo Largo and it was simply superb. 5 star all the way. Melia is a Spanish hotel chain and they are modern, great food, and definately first rate. So based on my experiences with Melia, I strongly believe you will have no problems.<BR><BR>If you feel like it, you can check out some Cuban photos (only 1 dive photo) on my Cuban Photos website.<BR><BR>www.picturetrail.com/Photocuba<BR><BR>I am still working on the site, and it is a work in progress. But you might like it anyway.<BR><BR>Have fun and enjoy your trip. I know you will.<BR><BR>Steve<BR><BR>p.s. As there is now NO weight limit..... can you smuggle me down in your dive bag? <BR><BR>

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 05:45 AM
Debbie

Hi Steve, much thanks for the imput. Two years ago, we stayed at Melia Rio de Oro in the Guardalavca/Holguin area(now called Paridisus which translates to higher price) and so are familiar with this excellent chain. Will check out the websites you've provided and sorry, can't squeeze you into our bags...

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 06:52 AM
Martin

On the Cuban Customs site I picked up something I was not aware of:<BR><BR>Prohibited items include "wireless telephones".<BR><BR>I presume this only becomes an issue if you are searched but most people take their cellphones with them even if they are going somewhere without a cell network. So watch out!

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 07:38 AM
Steve

Hi Martin:<BR><BR>Having been to Cuba numerous times before, I can assure you that cellphones ARE allowed in Cuba.<BR><BR>What the Cuban's seem not to like is the conventional "wireless" type phones used within a home. Most are 2.4 ghz or 800 mhz home phones that people use for portability around their house. Not sure exactly why the Cuban's don't want these in their country, but that is what they refer to, not cellphones. Of course you can also be sure that many "friends" bring these type of phones to their Cuban friends for their homes. The average Cuban citizen likes his conveniences as much as you or I.<BR><BR>Steve<BR>

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 07:49 AM
Martin

Steve - thanks for clearing that up!<BR><BR>A misunderstanding by me of the meaning of "wireless telephones".