Search

Negril hotels

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Negril hotels

We are looking at staying at Half Moon Resort in Montego Bay (we've been there before and love it) for 4 nights and want to stay somewhere different for 2 nights. It doesn't need to be as upscale as Half Moon. I've never been to the Negril area. I've heard the beaches and snorkeling are better there, so we'd like to stay where either or both of those are very good. Looking at Idle Awhile, The Caves, and Catch A Falling Star. Since we'll mostly be eating at the resort while at Half Moon, in Negril we'd like to be close to local restaurants and bars... walking distance would be ideal. I'm leaning towards Idle Awhile because of the beach and location, and because they have a sister hotel (Hide Awhile) that looks like it could have good snorkeling. Any thoughts? How do these hotels compare in room quality, grounds and service?
Old Oct 15th, 2013, 12:30 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Catcha Falling Star is a beautiful place to stay, but it is up on "the Cliffs". There are bars and restaurants walking distance along the west end road, but it's a couple miles to the beach so for that you'd likely use a taxi. Tensing Pen is another property on the cliffs that I like even better than Catcha.
Old Oct 15th, 2013, 04:18 PM
WWK

Idle Awhile is on the best section of Negril's famous beach. Within easy walking distance of many clubs and restaurants. It's a beautiful property, very small and intimate with lovely rooms. Highly recommend it,and even though it's a taxi ride away from The West End ( most of the restaurants are on the West End), I think I prefer the location.The beach is just spectacular there!
Old Oct 15th, 2013, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much!
Old Oct 15th, 2013, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

Meant to add... I'm leaning towards Idle Awhile.
Old Oct 16th, 2013, 01:09 AM

I don't see Negril beach as a place for snorkelling nor Jamaica in general for safe sightseeing.
The cliffs area does not have beaches and is a distance from the beach at Negril. There are alot of restaurants along the beach as well as the cliffs. I would not bother to stay somewhere for 4 nights then move for another 2, personally I would stay in Negril the entire time. Location of Idle Awhile is very good and the beach is fab.
Old Oct 16th, 2013, 03:35 AM
WWK

Negril has pretty good snorkeling at the off-shore reef. It's not as good as it was, but still...

And just a FYI: If you are interested in Idle Awhile, e-mail them ASAP. It's a very small resort and rooms often book up months ahead.

If it's unavailable, look next door at Coco La Palm. Ask for the upper floor jr. suites ONLY. It's not as upscale as Idle Awhile, but clean, safe, and on that same great stretch of beach. We've been going there for years!
Old Oct 16th, 2013, 08:23 AM

<nor Jamaica in general for safe sightseeing.>

Why do you say that, Odin?
Old Oct 16th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Well, thanks for the advice to contact Idle Awhile ASAP... Just called and they only have a garden room available for our stay. My husband is now leaning towards Tensing Pen for its ocean view room (Seagrape I is available) and it looks more interesting to him. And now I'm also wondering if Rockhouse is a better choice with its better restaurant options.... I'm okay with not having a beach right there since we'll be able to snorkel at the cliffs. And we'll be staying on the beach at Half Moon.
Old Oct 16th, 2013, 05:39 PM
WWK

About Rockhouse: The cottages are free standing. They all have ladders down to the sea, so you will be able to reach the water easily. It's an absolutely magnificent location, especially at sunset. And the restaurant is beautiful, though I think some of the food is mediocre.

At Rockhouse, you're about a 20 min.+ plus past town to the beach. You can also take a cab, though they can be pricey.
Old Oct 17th, 2013, 05:28 AM

I've been to Jamaica countless times and highly recommend staying at the Sandy Haven Resort in Negril. It's a new resort (about 1.5 years old), modern contemporary, clean, safe and right on the best part of Negril Beach.
Old Oct 17th, 2013, 01:54 PM

I know Seagrape at Tensing Pen. There are two units in the building Seagrape 1 (downstairs), Seagrape 2 (upstairs). My friends stayed in 2 and I thought it was very nice. I do think it's somehow more "exotic" feeling than Catcha.
Old Oct 17th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Good to hear! Just changed our res to Seagrape 1 (Seagrape 2 was booked) at Tensing Pen. So excited! Thinking we'll try to eat a lunch or dinner at Ivan's Bar & Restaurant and at the Rockhouse... good choices? Also, is it worth hitting the Craft Market? We'd love to bring home a small painting of Jamaica.
Old Oct 18th, 2013, 11:41 AM

Never been to Rockhouse, it's aways back down the road from Tensing Pen. But Ivan's is right there, and lovely.

Go to Sips & Bites for lunch and have their steamed fish plate (so good I went back twice). It's on the water side of the road back towards town about a 10 mins walk.

Sharks is right across the street and Juliet is a fantastic cook, if you want someplace truly local style.

LTU Pub is out the road in the other direction about 10 mins or so waterside of the road (away from town). The bakery with the great patties, out that same direction, inland side of the road.

I hear the craft market has some VERY ambitious (aggressive) sales people and I've yet to go there. I shopped at the regular little stores in the mall where Hi-Lo grocery is located near the round-about.
Old Oct 18th, 2013, 01:01 PM
WWK

Suze is absolutely right about the straw market. WHEW! We had to stop going there because some of the sales people were following us when we didn't buy from them.

There is a smaller straw market that opens up on the beach near The Charela Inn each week.It's much less of a hassle. Maybe someone can tell you which days.

You will also find some small shops on The West End Road ( cliffs) just across from Rockhouse. They mostly sell t-shirts, but may have other items, too.

About restaurants: One of the oldest restaurants in Negril is a very simple place in The West End called CHICKEN LAVISH. We LOVE the fried chicken there. The homemade soups and fresh fruit drinks are excellent, too.

We also like a very basic fish place at the beginning of West End Road called THREE DIVES. I don't know if it's still there, but it's a picnic style restaurant in the sand. Lobster is boiled or grilled and served with corn, salad, etc. Inexpensive for what it is and delicious!

And for some amazing jerk chicken, don't miss a tiny shack called BEST OF THE WEST, almost directly across the street from the IDLE AWHILE resort on the main road.