COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Negril--Cliffs or Beach?

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 05:19 PM
Al

Negril--Cliffs or Beach?

My wife and I are planning a trip to Negril in the near future. What are the relative benefits/drawbacks of staying either at the beach or cliffs resorts?

Thanks!

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 04:25 PM
ohliz

I've stayed once on each. I love them both but there are differences.

As a rule, the cliffs have fewer tourists, properties are more private (can't walk along the cliffs like you can the beach, there's just the cliff road) and there are fewer children (for safety reasons - the cliffs are high in some places and hotels don't like to fence off the view). If you like to snorkel, you can do that right there, hotels have steps/decks/ladders - some method of getting in and out of the water. There are some lovely properties there, cottages perched into the cliffs with private sundecks and castles with awesome views. Lots of people go to the cliffs for sunset as the westernmost point of Jamaica is at on the cliff road (the lighthouse).

The beach is busier, there are some kids around, it's great fun to walk any section of the 7 miles and stop here and there for a beer or snack, take a look at the other hotels/cottages. The water is shallow and calm and clear and lovely, there are all kinds of watersports. No building is taller than palm tree and most hotels are small so even though the beach is pretty much lined with hotels and restaurants and such, it is not croweded or city-like (like, say, Cancun). Snorkeling off hte beach is pretty dull, at least where we were, but the reef is a short (5-10 min) boat ride. Plenty to see out there.

Cliff hotels are usually cheaper for similar amenities and standards - $100 will get you a REALLY nice place there whereas it gets you a decent room on the beach (you can do this a LOT cheaper if you want to - there are places on the beach and cliffs for $25 a night, depends on your style).

If you're going for more than a week, why not try half and half?
Liz

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 05:58 AM
al

Thanks for your response Liz--gave us alot to consider!

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 10:03 AM
Allison

has anyone stayed at the Rockhouse in negril on the cliffs? any idea how to get to the beach from there?

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 11:58 AM
Jennifer

I stayed on the cliffs on my visit to Negril and absolutely loved it! As was mentioned earlier, the accommodations are very reasonable and beautiful!

You can always take the walk down to the beach or Rick's Cafe (with the most fabulous sunset in the islands) is just up the road!

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 12:37 PM
ohliz

Al: You're welcome. Feel free to ask anything else about my favorite vacation destination!

Allison: taxis to mid-beach from Rockhouse will be about $2 per person, after the required bargaining session. Settle the price before you get in the car - if that driver won't take you for that, just hail another one, there are tons of taxis in Negril.

If you're doing a cottage at Rockhouse, you might ask for any but the one that looks right over at the Pickled Parrot - we can see right into the cottage from there! (and the Pickled Parrot has become the spot of choice for tourists, approaching Rick's in popularity, though there are many many better places to see the sunset if you'd prefer not to share it with the hordes!)
Liz

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 03:43 PM
vs

Negril is beautiful. Make sure you take a trip or two to Ricks cafe for a great time. My recommendation is - Don't stay at Sandals Negril - big disappointment!