need to know about negril

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 08:59 AM
PEGGY

need to know about negril

my husband and i will be going to negril feb 1 for 10 days. staying at the GLN. i would appreciate any input on negril and the GLN. 1. what air service is best to use between mo bay and negril? we don't arrive in mo bay until 3:35pm. 2. what temperatures can we expect in early feb? does it rain much in feb? 3.is it safe for us to go off the hotel property at night? {like to party place} 4. where are the best snorkeling spots? 5.what are some inexpensive to moderate dining options? fun places to hangout? 6.what side trips do you recommend? y-s falls or mayfield falls? appleton rum factory black river trip treasure beach alligator pond,what is it? is there anything to do at savanna la-mar? what is the best way to go? tour bus,car,taxi? how much can we do in one day? 7. what is the best calling card? can we use our laptop computer at GLN? is ther a surcharge to use the phone in the room? 8. at GLN, should we fax a request for a room upgrade in advance? if so how long before we arrive? i have heard this works sometimes. do we need to make reservations at piacere restaurant when we get there or prior to departure? some people have said it is difficult to get reservations during high season. 9. which area has a better beach and pool c/o or textile? where are the best rooms? we have requested a beachfront, 1st floor room, jr suite. are the one bedroom suites alot nicer? do they have minibars or fridges? as far as room location we would like to be close to the pool or the beach and a bar!! 10. has anyone gotten sick in negril? good idea to bring pepto and such? 11. is there any shopping near the mo bay airport? we have 2-3 hours to spend on our return trip. thanks for all your help. i guess i like to be prepared!!

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 10:13 AM
xxx

Not to sound negative but did you not do ANY research at all before booking this trip? Just curious...

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 11:01 AM
xxx

Oh my gosh! What clothes should I pack? What SPF lotion to take? Will it be hot? Rainy? Will my ATM card work there? What time for dinner?

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 03:13 PM
tivertonhouse

Dear Peggy:ROFL -- you should ask these questions of whoever booked you into GLN or GLN directly. We supply our guests with a full Welcome Kit crammed with info --and answers to questions like these that nobody ever tells you.
So,in sympathy,here are some answers.
1)You arrive late/figure on one hour for customs,so it's 4;30 with about another 2 hours of light left -- a perfect time to be driven in a private car/with driver for transfers -- because you'll see more of the island.
Take the B2 route and you'll go through citrus,dairy,mountain,sugarcane country
and get a taste of what's outside Negril you should DEFINITELY explore.
2)85 F during day,high 70s nights.Bring a wrap/sweater/shawl. It can rain every day for about 30 min,at night or late afternoon. Then the sun returns.Nah vex uself! 3)Use street smarts in Negril at night 4)Hire a private guide for snorkeling (see below). 5)Cosmo's,Alfred's De Bus, Charela Inn,Culloden Cafe (in Whitehouse),Little Ochi (Alligator Pond)
6)Hire BARRETT ADVENTURES for half,full and more day tours that go beyond the usual. See them on www.jamaicaescapes.com or e-mail Carolyn Barrett at [email protected]
7)SAVANNAH LA MAR/SAV is a hurry-hurry
market town.Go for real local color to the big covered marekt at the end of the main drag at left. 8)Get/buy intl calling card at any likkle shop or place in Negril.==10)Bring immodium.
11)For best shopping on your 2-3 hour wait in MoBay, use a guide to uncover best shopping -- avoid the Craft Market.

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 04:56 PM
tivertonouse

Some more info for PEGGY,:
REAL local places for inexpensive dining include:The Flaming Wok in Sav, the Patty Shop in the alley next to the big covered market in Sav;Sheck's at Bluefields Beach jerkstands for fish,also KD's and Robert's in Belmont for same;Dorrit's aka Oceanside Pub ,Belmont for curried land crab;curiously, a steak (!)house just before the metal bridge on the second floor on the concrete bldg in Black River;the bar behind the dining room on the patio at Hotel Invercauld is quaint for a drink -- food is a long wait and so-so at best;pepper shrimp roadside in Middle Quarters;The Bloomfield Great House in Mandeville-- ask for owners Pamela Grant and Ralph Pierce ;Winsome's and Arnie's/Trans-Love Bakery in Treasure Beach;Alligator Pond is a 'town',more a tiny village most known for the beachside restaurant Little Ochee,which is wonderful -- count on a long day from Negril. The earlier you arrive at certain now-popular destinations, like YS Falls,the fewer tourbuses you'll see. Again, a private guide can customize excursions from mild to wild, including trips to painters and carvers on island in the bush if you really want an inside look at Jamaica beyond Negril. In 10 days, I'd venture forth on a least 3 trips from beige and marble resort land
=-maybe even including a trip to swim in Gut River and with the manatees and take the curative waters at Milk River Bath -- or a visit to the private coffee plantation Old Tavern Estate and dinner at sunset overlooking the lights of Kingston far below you at STRAWBERRY HILL, another of Chris Blackwell's places like The Caves in Negril.

My biggest advice is count on nothing going timetable to plan -- you're entering another world away from the US and 'island time' , fewer resources and an attitude toward life considerably less control-freak than ours is prevalent. Go with the flow -- it'll take you a couple of days to sink into island. You'll get far more sensory experience of Jamaica,tho,outside Negril. Enjoy...

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 05:23 PM
d motl

We went to Negril for the first time last year. When we got back we jotted down some thoughts that might be usefull to the first time visitor. Just e-mail us if you want a copy Dan and Ginny

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 05:12 PM
Elizabeth

If you have a car, or find (easy) a driver to drop you off & pick you up:
make an appointment, or appointments, for massages at Jackie's on the Reef, about 15-20 minutes out of Negril, and have lunch there.
The setting and food are wonderful, the massage is next to the sea. It's a little holistic spa (I stay there) and really worth a visit.
Or--one of you can have a pedicure while the other has a masage, or something like that.

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 09:14 PM
Diane

Hey, tiverton...did Kaiser's ever re-open? Is it under a different name? We walked all around with one of the construction guys who told us how it was going to be, in May 2000. It looked like it should have been ready to open this past winter & Spring, but knowing island time, maybe not? For others who read this, Kaisers was a reggae spot that (blew away? burned down?) was destroyed several years ago. It is located near the start of the cliffs section and should be a fabulous place to party!

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 10:29 PM
tivertonhouse

Diane:Hey Bashment Gal! Kaiser's ,from what we hear, still mashed up or, like Beaches Whitehouse, on/off/on/off,under re-re-re-construction. Try 'Judge's/The Sands' in Belmont on a Sun.nite in season;KD's down the main a few chain is also doing sporadic concert with headliners;Black River,too,if you can take the late-late-late timetable. For more upscale:Culloden Cafe(very good food) in Whitehouse has lowkey live music,local author readings and sometimes karaoke (we woulda loved to see PJ singing there on his first visit last month/lol);The Bloomfield Great House in Mandeville and
Jake's in TB for drinks. (Winsome now has her own little restaurant -- ask for directions). Nah look fi Kaisers --
gwan,gal,go explore!

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 11:33 AM
ohliz

1. what air service is best to use between mo bay and negril? we don't arrive in mo bay until 3:35pm.

That's risky because planes can't land in Negril after dark. I'd book a private taxi instead (doesn't GLN provide free transfers??). I love the ride, hairy as it can be, it is beautiful.

2. what temperatures can we expect in early feb? does it rain much in feb?

Hot in the daytime, possibly cool at night, little to no rain.

3.is it safe for us to go off the hotel property at night? {like to party place}

Yes. Well, we go off the property, the best nightlife in Negril is "off the property". Namely the beach bars' live reggae and the cliff bar sunset parties.

4. where are the best snorkeling spots?

A boat can take you to the reef off the beach, you can jump in off the cliffs and snorkel right there, Bloody Bay also has a nice reef.

5.what are some inexpensive to moderate dining options? fun places to hangout?

Lots. We like: Kuyaba, Rockhouse, Xtabi (those are more $$ than most), our very favorite is 3 Dives, next to Xtabi on the cliffs, VERY basic, outside tables but awesome food and a "real" taste of Jamaican hospitality, the owners are so sweet. I have never had a bad meal at any restaurant in Jamaica. THe fancinessof the restauarnt is NOT a good indicator of food quality - the tourist-oriented restaurants like the Pickled Parrot and Rick's have some of the worst food and highest prices, in my opinion.

Nightlife rotates among several beach bars - Roots Bamboo, Alfred's, DeBuss to name a few. Ask when you get there.

Almost all the cliff bars have some kind of sunset deal going on. Rick's is the typicl tourist spot but there are many other places that will be less crowded and perhaps offer more of a real Jamaican experience.

6.what side trips do you recommend? y-s falls or mayfield falls?

They're both great. YS is better if you aren't up to walking much, Mayfield is less crowded and requires a little more hiking. If you plan to visit the south coast, YS makes sense as it is closer.

appleton rum factory black river trip treasure beach alligator pond,what is it?

All of these are on the South Coast. Appleton is a factory tour, blck river is a river you cruise up and you can see alligators and such, treasure beach is a string of bays along the south coast that have more fishermen than tourists (for now, that won't last). Never been to alligator pond.

is there anything to do at savanna la-mar?

Not tourist things. It's a city.

what is the best way to go? tour bus,car,taxi?

I'd hire a private driver for a day or two, then you can go at your own pace instead of the tour bus pace.

10. has anyone gotten sick in negril?

Not me. Got sick in Mexico though. Water in JA is clean, as a rule.

good idea to bring pepto and such?

If traveling upsets your stomach, yes.

11. is there any shopping near the mo bay airport? we have 2-3 hours to spend on our return trip.

Be careful - once you pass through security at the airport you can't leave. There is shopping a short cab ride away but not right outside. There is also lots of shopping IN the airport.

If I ere you I'd pick up a copy of Lonely Planet Jamaica or another guidebook, that will answer a lot of questions especally about excursions.
Liz