Need new beach destination for family and parents

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2018, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi parents, my 8 year old boy and sis and husband have been going to Playa Del Carmen/Riviera Maya for the last summers, 7-10 days, all inclusive, different Iberostar resorts.

All inclusives in Mexico work great for us: short flight from Atlanta, my dad cant walk much, no one wants to cook, Mexican food and service is great, great beaches, great pools and kid and adult activities organized by hotel, I can do outdoor escapades (cenotes, dive, snorkel, turtle beach), authentic Mexican culture in town. My son just likes to run around the pools and play with other kids. My mom and sis just veg at the beach.

Looking to try something "similar" (as close as possible) but in a Caribbean island.

The quick flight needs I think narrows it to USVI, Bahamas, Turks/Caicos, Cayman (We have done DR, dont wanna repeat, my mom doesnt wanna do Jamaica). Im leaning USVI for now, St Croix or St John. I do wanna keep something that has local culture to explore at night for me. Thoughts?
Old Mar 20th, 2018, 05:49 AM

DR & Jamaica are going to be the closest thing you will find to the Riviera Maya as far as AIs go. As you are well aware, prices are cheap in Mexico. I think you will find prices quite a bit more expensive as you venture onto other islands. Yes, there are other AIs out there, but you will most likely be paying considerably more.
Old Mar 20th, 2018, 09:25 AM
Gin

Have you thought about Barbados? Not sure how long a flight it is from Atlanta but there are a few AI i(i.e. Discovery Bay by Rex to Treasure Beach by Elegant Hotels) in different price ranges and plenty of culture to explore.
Old Mar 20th, 2018, 09:36 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Oops, I also was coming to say the DR or Jamaica are the closest fit for what you describe!
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 07:51 AM

Hotel options are pretty limited in the USVI right now. Places like the Westin St. John are still closed for the summer.

I would look into Secret Harbour resort on St Thomas and The Buccaneer on St. Croix.
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 08:28 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I loved St John, but are there All Inclusive Resorts there? I know (only from reading this forum) that lots of people favor The Bucaneer on St Croix.
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 09:44 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
We loved The Buccaneer on St Croix. Not an AI, but does include a fabulous hot breakfast buffet.
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 11:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I am not an expert on all inclusives (although we just booked one at the Hyatt Ziva in Los Cabos for August). A friend of mine and her husband recently went to the all inclusive Riu Aruba and loved it.
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 11:20 AM

The USVI is not an AI destination. There are none on St John, none currently on St Thomas (Bolongo was before the storms, but isn't currently). If you are willing to do some cooking, you can rent a condo or villa on either island. I can't comment on St Croix.