Need help-where should we go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking to go on a 7 day vacation sometime around April. We don't have loads to spend, we want to stay around $3000 if we can, including meals and airfare from PA. It will be me, my husband and our almost 3 year old daughter. We love the beach and will spend alot of time there (usually about 6 hours every day), so we want a nice sized beautiful beach with clear blue water. (I say this because I see reviews where people say the beach isn't nice where they were staying, but I do realize that all of the Caribbean has a beautiful blue water-or so people say so). Nightlife isn't an issue.

We went to a travel agent and they suggested Sunset Beach Resort & Spa at Montego Bay, Jamiaca, but we aren't sure if we would want to be tied to the resort the entire stay. We would like to get out a few evenings to do some shopping, etc, but it isn't necessary every night. AI isn't neccessary either.

We were never in the Caribbean before. We went on our honeymoon to Maui and loved it. Stayed on Wailea beach. Would go back in a heartbeat, but it is a little more than we want to spend, but mostly don't know how our daughter would be on that long flight.

Thanks for any help you can offer. We really have no idea where to go.

PS Anything comparable to Maui would be awesome!
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 06:52 AM

Well, I think Jamaica would be a great place to start looking considering your budget, but I personally wouldn't stay anywhere in MoBay. Check out Negril on the west coast. There's a website for the area at www.negril.com for getting a feel for the vibe of the area. It's pretty developed, but it's on a stretch of white sand and beautiful, calm water that is perfect for a tyke like yours. Check out Coco La Palm and Idle Awhile as two places to stay. The location isn't comparable to Maui, but it fulfills all of your other requirements.

The islands that will most resemble Maui in lushness and topography are the volcanic islands such as St. Lucia and St. Vincent--but these are more expensive to fly to. The beaches tend to be darker sand and the water usually has a steeper dropoff--combined to give a steel blue color rather than the startling turquoises you might be associating with the region. These beaches are beautiful in their own right, but if they're not what you're expecting, well...
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 07:00 AM

I think the general information you received from your TA was good. Jamaica would fit into your budget. Your terms and conditions for beaches would not be a problem either. I personally think that Jamaica is paradise, but it's not like Maui.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 06:44 AM

Let me offer another suggestion that should meet your requirements and your budget. The Sibonne Beach Hotel (http://www.sibonne.com/) in Providenciales (Turks and Caicos) is located on Grace Bay Beach which certainly qualifies as "a nice sized beautiful beach with clear blue water." The Sibonne is a very nice and clean hotel with some of the best rates in Provo. If you travel there after April 19, you'll be able to take advantage of their low season rates which range from $99 to $185 a night depending on your room choice (there's also a beach apartment but it would probably exceed your budget). The rate includes a continental breakfast which can save you a few dollars over the week. The hotel has an excellent and very reasonably priced restaurant and there are several others within easy walking distance. And, lastly, flying to Provo will be less expensive than flying to many other Caribbean islands (although it will be more expensive than flying to Montego Bay).
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:03 AM

Hi Tenille,

I've stayed at Sunset Beach Resort in Montego Bay. We got a super cheap deal for a long weekend. If it hadn't been a huge bargain for a short trip I would have been very disappointed.

Sunset Beach is a very mediocre property. You can do much, much better.

For beautiful beaches, an out island in the Bahamas is a good suggestion.

Also you might find a small villa on St John that could work. St John has fantastic beaches. Low season starts April 15th, and you might be able to do it in or close to your budget.

The trick for you is to keep your airfare from eating up most of your budget. I'd investigate what airlines fly out of your local airport (Philly?)

Good luck!
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:37 AM

I think a good first step would be for you to find out the airfare to some of your possible choices. That would help you determine your hotel/food/activity budget. April tends to be a busy travel month with college Spring Breaks and Easter. So, check the airfare to Jamaica, St. Thomas, Barbados, Puerto Rico and the Bahamas.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 08:31 AM

Check out Sands in T&C. I think they have a direct (quick) flight to Provo from PA. Grace bay beach is beautiful and try to get a package from aavacations.com (usually is cheaper than booking yourself). Sands has a nice kiddie pool and a casual outdoor restaurant. Also the kitchen/washer/drier setup is great with a toddler.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 11:34 AM

How about Mexico? Bright blue caribbean water and white sandy beaches. I know Cancun got hit hard, but friends just returned from Riviera Maya, on the south end of it and said it was great. Flights to Cancun are usually inexpensive and direct. It's about a 45 minute drive from the airport. There's an all-inclusive called the Copacabana. I hear it's lovely and in April about $100 pp per day, kids free. Check out locogringo.com for pictures and pricing. Also, go to tripadvisor.com for traveler reviews. You'll get a great feel for a place from real visitors. I'm a huge fan of the caribbean, but you can't beat the value of these all-inclusives in Mexico.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 11:52 AM

Cayman is a very child-friendly island. If I were traveling with a small child, it would be my first choice. We like Turtle Nest Inn in Boddentown or a small rental house in Cayman Kai. Seven Mile is a nice afternoon but we prefer to stay less commercial. Do a little research to see where the construction is.