Need help planning Caribbean vacation with 3yr old

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a vacation at the end of March, early April with our three year old. We want warm weather, beaches, good food. We've been to St. John and Virgin Gordo in the past and loved it in addition to Playa del Carmen. We are flying from Dallas and would like a direct flight so Puerto Rico and the Bahamas are at the top of the list. In addition, we need a second room or villa so that the we don't have to go to sleep when the baby does. Our son is adventurous but has a short attention span. Any help is appreciated.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 05:40 AM

A great place for a three year old in Puerto Rico -- Hyatt Hacienda Del Mar in Dorado, PR, about 1/2 hour outside of San Juan. We've been there twice with our kids. You book it through Hyatt Vacation Club. Also check out the Embassy Suites in Dorado.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 05:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Eileen I have read the Hyatt Dorado is closed.
galas: Just to let you know that many schools are out the week before and after Easter (April 8th) We are out the week after and will be in PR. If you could wait a couple of weeks, then you will probably get better deals.
Puerto Rico has a couple of big resorts you can check into Wyndam conquistador and Westin Rio Mar. We are going to the Caribe Hilton.
I am thinking resort because they would have more child friendly facilities for your 3 year old. Puerto Rico and the Bahamas are nothing like St.John. They are much busier.
I would also look for hotels that have suites so you can stay up later than 8pm
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 05:56 AM

Look into Turks & Caicos just south of the Bahmas. Incredible beaches. Small, relatively quiet family friendly island with lots of condo/villa choices. We took our 1 year old earlier this year.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. We had looked at the El Conquistador but were worried about the multiple negative reviews. We've never been to Turks and Caicos. I like the villa idea. It's a bit of a haul to get there, no direct flight. Is there a lot of stuff to do there? It looks very low key. My son is completely obsessed with music and needs some activities to keep from getting homesick.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 09:51 AM

It is a quiet isalnd but if you stay on Grace bay beach there are activities. The Sands sounds perfect for you. They have a nice outdoor restaurant overlooking the beach and nightly music...when we went it was a steel drum band and all the kids were dancing. You can get studios, 1 Br, 2 Br units etc. Plus it is in a very central location.

We stayed a place called the Royal West Indies and they offered complimentary kayaks, catamarans, sand toys, bikes etc..

The island has great snorkeling and the beaches can't be beat. Worth the trip in my opinion.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 01:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
If you are interested in Turks and caicos and your child is very active, what about Beaches? I have not been, but I know there would be a million activities for a toddler and you pay one price for food and drink? Something to think about.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

We would rather not do an all inclusive as we like to explore off the resort at times. Not so sure about T&C because of the flight options. Any recommendations for Bahamas or Puerto Rico?
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 07:25 AM

Hyatt Hacienda Del Mar in Puerto Rico is not closed. I am a timeshare owner there so my info is accurate. The Hyatts in Dorado originally consisted of three resorts -- Hyatt Dorado (low-rise resort two miles away from the others) and Hyatt Cerramar and Hacienda Del Mar. Cerramar and HDM are adjacent to each other and all the main facilities are open. The HDM was so successful that they are now turning the Cerramar into timeshare condos as well. Hyatt Dorado was closed last May and is most likely going to be renovated/rebuilt into another resort as the four golf courses are all still operational including the famous Dorado East course. HDM can be booked through Hyatt Vacation Club and it is a wonderful place for a family. We are glad to be owners there because we still haven't found a place our kids like better.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Just checked and the Hyatt is not available. Thanks though.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 04:58 PM

The only place I have advised friends stateside to travel to Puerto Rico with a 3 year old AND need second room is the El Conquistador....

http://www.elconresort.com/?src=ppc_...ador|222266727
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Would you stay at the hotel or in the villas?