Need help picking an island for getaway

May 14th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Original Poster

Need help picking an island for getaway

Okay, so my husband and I are going away for our anniversary and need some help navigating the Caribbean waters. He is interested in scuba diving/snorkeling. We would like a small resort or villa--preferably with no children (as we are leaving ours home ). We don't need much nightlife or any gambling. We like to explore culture and scenery. Quiet is good.
We aren't able to get away that much and would like to make this special. Any ideas???
May 14th, 2005, 10:00 PM

We are in the same situation! We are early 30's and leaving our two boys, age 2 and 5, with MIL in two weeks! We are celebrating our 9th anniversry. For our 5th we went to Grand Cayman and snorkeled with the stingrays. That was a wonderful vacation.

This trip we decided on Turks and Caicos, Provo on Grand Turk. We are also snorkelers, the visibility is said to be 250 feet! We are staying at Coral Gardens. There is a lot of info on the boards about T&C. It is between Bahamas and USVI, so the flight isn't too long, either.

I'll let you know how it was when we return. Happy planning!
May 15th, 2005, 05:03 AM

If you want quiet without the kids in Turks and Caicos, look into Turks and Caicos Club, or The Renassance. Most kids go to Beaches, Sands, and Coral Gardens. Snorkeling off the beach is Coral Gardens, but you can walk from either to get to it. Parrot Cay is also special, it's on it's own little island. Not much culture or scenery, but a gorgeous, gorgeous beach, and a quick getaway. Turks and Caicos Club and Parrot Cay are probably the quietest, Renassance has some construction going around it, but it is beautiful. For exploring, rent a 4x4 and venture to Malcolms Beach, you will probably have it to yourself, or a picnic at Sapadilla Bay, and go see Chaulk Sound, an incredible sight! Also some beaches to yourself in Leeward. You can also do excursions to Middle Caicos, or 1/2 day snorkel trips, or private picnics on your own cay, they drop you off, and set up table in water, food, drinks, etc, come back for you hours later. Good scuba diving too. The ocean water doesn't get prettier than this!
May 15th, 2005, 08:53 AM

You sound a lot like my wife and I. We have found on Long Island, Bahamas, a place called www.chezpierrebahamas.com that we go to several times a year because it has lots of what we want, not much of anything but miles of empty beach, swimming, sun, a canoe or something, great food, and quiet. They only have six little cottages on top of the beach, so there are never lots of people around. Bone fishing is far superior to anything in Florida, or the upper islands, and diving/ snorkeling is likewise avail. My wife likes to do nothing but bob in the water, but I recommend you rent a car to see other beautiful beaches and villages. Best of all its accessable in a day , the whole island is very laid back, friendly, safe, and Chez Pierre's is ecnomical. Curt
Jul 10th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Okay, I'm finally back to searching and would like some more ideas. We are looking for a "shorter" travel time (from Midwest) and a safe island as well. We've thought of Nevis, St. Thomas, St. Kitts, ST. John,Antigua, Anguilla....Any ideas??? Ideas on resorts/inns/villas are appreciated too!
Thanks!
Jul 10th, 2005, 07:20 PM

Jim: Sounds like you would enjoy St John.There are only 2 resorts (the Westin and Caneel Resort)on St John.Most people rent villas..most of them have a pool or jaquzzi or both.We went there this past June with our kids.I cannot wait to go back without them .The snorkeling was really good..we saw stringrays,starfish,a seaturtle and tons of different fish.2/3rds of the island is a National Park.

For a nice villa check out this link and click on "honeymoon cottage" it sounds like the perfect place for the two of you..and it has AC which is good..St John can be very hot.http://www.stjohnusvi.org/new_page_2.htm
Or try these villa rental companies:
www.vivacations.com
www.caribbeanvilla.com
www.seaviewhomes.com

Good luck with your planning
Jul 10th, 2005, 07:27 PM

I forgot to mention that St John is a safe island.It is very laid back.In the main town of Cruz Bay..you can just park your rental car and walk around to the different shops and restaurants as they are walkable.It is a quaint little town.Also most all of the best snorkeling spots are beach accessible and the waters at most are very calm.Again good luck!
Jul 10th, 2005, 07:36 PM
iw

jim70...We fly out of Raleigh, so I can't comment on flights from the midwest. We just returned from St. Kitts and Nevis. You might have read my trip report. If not, it is simply listed at St. Kitts and Nevis trip report, dated last week. Clever title, huh? LOL. Anyway, we loved these islands, but I don't think they are best known for the diving and the snorkeling was ok. Better in St. Kitts than on Nevis. We are late 30's w/o kids, so I also did not want a lot of ankle bitters in the way (I teach). These islands were perfect for couples looking to get away. Please read trip reports posted under St. Kitts and Nevis on this site for more info. Sunnyboy, MIMO4 and ejcrowe ( I think that's right)have a lot of great advice to offer. Good luck. Karen
Jul 10th, 2005, 07:44 PM
iw

Oops, I meant biters, not bitters.
Jul 11th, 2005, 07:20 AM

iw:
I grew up in Raleigh..went to Millbrook for HS.Are you originally from Raleigh?
Jul 11th, 2005, 08:06 AM
iw

Actually, I live in Richmond but it is cheaper to fly out of Raleigh. I was born in Henderson, NC. I love the town of Raleigh. We have friends that we visit there quite often.
Jul 12th, 2005, 06:35 AM

iw:
I moved from Raleigh 7 years ago because it was growing very rapidly and I like a more quieter place.We move 30 minutes south of Raleigh.
Jul 12th, 2005, 07:31 AM

Jim - Look at nevis1.com . It has tons of info about the island, hotels, villas, etc. I think that would be a great choice as I know lots of people who have decided Nevis is their favorite island! GL
Jul 12th, 2005, 07:56 AM

I made it to St. Kitts just over a year ago. It was a nice island, but I'd recommend another spot unless you'd like to do a little historical exploration (St. Kitts has some cool old forts). If you go there, I'd recommend renting a car to be able to reach the best beaches on the island (have to drive to get to them).
Sep 9th, 2005, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help so far. I will be looking into all that everyone has suggested.
Sep 9th, 2005, 03:47 PM

i have to put in a plug also for St. John usvi...have been going there for 10 yrs and each visit is a new adventure.many beautiful beaches,great snorkeling. 2/3 of the island is national parks so you do not see high rise buildings/hotels invading the shoreline..thank you Rockerfeller!! it has kept this island a unique place. there are 2 resorts..Caneel Bay and The Westin(this will have mucho kids)Caneel has 7 beaches on property. There is another place/resort(?) called Gallows Point.this has condo units,not a beach to speak of/has pool and on site restaurant and is walking distance into town"cruz bay", which has enough shops/restaurants/bars to keep you busy. another choice is Estate Lindholm..20 unit B&B/pool/fab views and a walk to CB.nice place!when we're there we rent a villa.rent a car, explore the island at our lesiure,stop at a beach,relax,snorkel and head into town for sunset & drinks/or on our own deck. can't get any better.another bonus is being close to the BVI's to day trip over.many options to get there.this is a friendly,safe island. we always enjoy it. P.S. if renting a villa i don't feel ac is needed at all times..depends on when you would be there..yes, summer & sept can be hot,otherwise i find it very comfortable.when are you planning your trip ?
Sep 10th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

we'd probably be going in late April or early May--after spring break but before school is out.
Sep 11th, 2005, 09:51 PM

You will definitely want airconditioning at least in the bedrooms in April/May. It is pretty warm then and it is best not to take a chance IMO.
Sep 16th, 2005, 08:00 AM

There are two options depending on your budget for South Andros Island, Bahamas. There are both very intimate places that have a very relaxing and romantic feel to it. This island a pretty well kept secret if you ask me. There is also a local divemaster who takes people out whenever they want, he works with you to plan the right time and it's nice because it's very personal and you don't feel like you are cattle like most places. Let me know if you would like more information about the island.
Sep 19th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

I think we've narrowed it down (if you could call it that : ) ) to Nevis, St. John, Turks & Caicos, Antigua or Anguilla. We have about 12 resorts in mind. We're looking for a smaller resort, with good snorkeling, good beaches, some culture, few or no children, and some pampering. (Most of this is a repeat from the original, but some of you may be new to my dilemma.) Does anyone have any strong preferences among these 5 islands? We're not looking to spend a huge amount of money, but we do want to treat ourselves.

Search this Thread