Need help choosing an island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2016, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cant decide on what island to visit. Our vacation has to be the beginning of May (work reasons). It will be a 5 day vacation.

From what I have read Bahamas and Bermuda wont be that hot in early May. What about Turks and Caicos? St. Thomas?

St Lucia is out because of the wacky long flights.
Jamaica, DR, PR not interested in because of the crime rate (from what I have heard)

We are a young couple that want to stay in resort with restaurants (don't want to have to cook ourselves) with some activity. I think just sitting on a beach all day might get boring after a couple of days.

Any insight is much appreciated.
Old Feb 24th, 2016, 05:24 AM

Budget? Where are you traveling from? What is important to you? What do you like to do?

So far from what you've provided, just about any island would fit your criteria.
Old Feb 24th, 2016, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Budget is around $3000 max for two people including flight, hotel, transportation and food. Would be willing to go a little higher if there is a resort worth it.

Traveling from the North East.

Whats important to us it to be able to relax enjoy the beach/pool but also have the option to do some activities wither that be go out to dinner or water activities.

After doing more research, Grand Cayman is out because the only flight out the week we have to take vacation if over 7 hours. Looking to keep the flight under around 4 hours.

I think I have narrowed our search to Turks and Caicos, Puerto Rico or possibly Dominican Republic. I'm iffy on the last one.
Old Feb 24th, 2016, 05:10 PM

Since you are concerned about travel time it would help if you told us where in the "North East" you are traveling from. Obviously, it takes longer if you are originating from a rural area in Maine vs. from the metro NYC area - both are in the "North East".

Also where you are flying from will affect airfare cost and could use up half of your travel budget.

Most mid-size and large resorts have at least one restaurant on premises and all islands have an abundance of "off resorts" restaurants so dining options aren't usually a major factor in deciding on a destination. That said, if having lots of restaurants are a major issue for you than consider going to St. Martin - there are well over 150 different restaurants on the island.

Just about every island has "water activities" so again it is not something that should drive your choice unless you require a specific "unusual" activity that might not be readily available.

Your budget of $3000 will go a long way in the Dominican Republic - it will not go as far in the T&C's which are one of the ore expensive destinations in the Caribbean.
Old Feb 24th, 2016, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

We would be flying out of a NY airport. Is Dominican Republic relatively safe compared to Puerto Rico? Never been to the Caribbean and haven't heard much from people about the Dominican Republic.

I have been going back and forth between T&C and Puerto Rico and am aware of the cost difference. Having said that I haven't been much impressed at all with the resorts in Puerto Rico. Would DR be any different?
Old Feb 25th, 2016, 05:10 AM

If you plan on staying in your resort for the most part, there are some great deals to be had on AI resorts in the DR. It's a very popular destination for AIs because of the price. The beaches down there are gorgeous. If you do want to get away from the resort, most advise hiring a guided tour for this area. Your budget of 3000 should get you a week at a nice resort there including everything from flights to room to food & booze.
I think T&C is nicer, but think your budget will be a challenge there.
Some people like PR, but IMO the beaches just aren't as nice as other Caribbean islands.
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 10:43 AM

Jamaica is always a great place for travel so i think go with it. Good luck!
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 11:24 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I've been to the Dominican Republic a couple times (Santo Domingo, Puerto Plata, Sosua). Not my favorite place.

These days it seems most people go there for the All-Inclusives in Punta Cana and aren't really interested in getting off the resort.

Also not crazy for St. Thomas but really enjoyed St. John.

Negril Jamaica is my favorite place I've been so far (in the Caribbean).
Old Feb 26th, 2016, 08:10 PM
WWK

I doubt you can do five nights in T&C if that budget includes airfare. You probably will do better in Jamaica, Cancun, or The Riveria Maya in Mexico,but even then the budget will be tough.
Old Feb 27th, 2016, 02:10 AM

We went to Punta Cana some years ago. In an all-in resort.
There were 'some' activities organized by the resort - just check what they proposed.

From what you say, it could be a nice vacation : relax, no stress, no cooking, no decisions, some activities and some cocktails.

We didn't leave the resort for one week - so basically we didn't see the Dominican Republic ;-) but it was nice and relaxing.