Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Need good ideas of where to stay in Barbados..in late Nov?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we will be in Barbados then and are looking for a nice place to stay. Have stayed at "the Arches" and loved it, but it is a bit out of town and isolated without an auto..any great ideas?
Old Oct 4th, 2010, 06:26 AM

I don't have any suggestions, just wanted to say I'm looking for the same thing so hopefully someone responds!
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

We have stayed at the Arches prior to this and liked it but they have a 3 day minimum and we will only be there two..as a post script, we have booked at the Hilton....looks about as good as any, and not to far from Bridgeport. Some folks we kn ow are staying at the Radison, but I think it's $500 night, and I won't do that!!
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 12:28 PM

We'll also be there late November. Looked at the Hilton at first, but I thought a Hilton is a Hilton. One of my managers at work had stayed there during a tradeshow a few years ago.

We finally chose the Bougainvillea for a bit more island flavor and it gets great reviews. It's closer to St Lawrence Gap than Bridgetown, but we'll make time to visit both, along with other attractions (and some pool time). Maybe we'll pass each other along the way.
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 02:15 PM

I can recommend Bouganvillea, Southern Palms, and The Crane (although I've not stayed at the Crane, just love the beach).

These are all on the South Coast because we love the waves and the vibe.

Peace, Greenie
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 07:19 AM

I would recommend the West Coast for a serene and scenic holiday, you can always hit the busy spots in the south for the day (or night). Mango Bay in Holetown, Colony Club, a number of nice resorts not as expensive as Hilton... Almond Beach etc. Waves are fun sometimes, but if you really want to swim without being slapped in the face every 2 strokes, go to the West and find beaches just north and south of Holetown. You can't snorkel in waves and underwater sandstorms either. All the famous have villas up my way or come over for Xmas and party in !st and 2nd Street Holetown
I live there so I'm biased. If you're stuck look me up...I have spare (basic) rooms on a lovely breezy ridge overlooking the Caribbean, for the nature lover with resident cats and green monkeys.....
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 07:25 AM

For the people wishing to see other islands, you can take a cruise for a week, use LIAT inter-island (expensive), or a new airline starting soon is "AirOne" run by an Irish entrepreneur, not sure when it kicks off.
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

thanks pammy.
Old Oct 24th, 2010, 01:17 PM

A second for Greenie's recommendation for the Bougainvillea - satyed there for a week last Feb. and we don't want to even consider another resort as it was ideal in every way! We didn't rent a car, but had no trouble getting cabs, which worked out just fine. The resort has a free shuttle into Bridgetown.
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 10:07 AM

I was actually browsing these forums for inspiration as to where I should go for my next island vacation ( looking at 3 days, really need a break) And now I'm curious also to stay at Bougainvillea..
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 12:15 PM

Can't go wrong with Bougainvillea or Southern Palms. Southern Palms is on a nicer beach and in the heart of St Lawrence Gap, so within walking distance of everything there. The Crane is also very nice but you would need a car. Accra is on a great beach and within walking distance of everything, either on the road or the relatively new boardwalk. Check this link out and you might find some others that fit your requirements:

http://www.destinationcaribbean.net/...=0&parentid=19
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Problem is, some of the better resorts require a three day minimum...our stay will only be two. Our travelling companions are staying at the Radison, but I refuse to pay $500 a night! So we will just stay at the Hilton, and taxi into town...thanks all for your help.
Old Nov 4th, 2010, 06:27 AM

Has anyone stayed at Tamarind Cove? Trip is in a few weeks and I'm still undecided about the hotel?
Old Nov 5th, 2010, 09:12 AM

In October 2009, we (husband, 2 y.o son and I )stayed on both sides of the island. On the east coast we stayed at The Crane. The, had the most beautiful beach - large sand area, water can be a bit rough on this side of the island. We then rented a car for the day and spent our time visiting other areas of the island and ended on the west coast. There we stayed at The Coral Reef Club. On the west coast of the island the water is very tranquil and beaches are narrow.

I am glad we stayed on both sides. I feel we really got a better feel of what the island is all about since the geography vary greatly thoughout. We wouldn't of had this perspective if we just stayed in one hotel and if we didn't rent a car, even if it was just for the day.