Need advice on Jamaica

Oct 5th, 2001, 03:10 PM
Kim

Need advice on Jamaica

My fiance and I are planning our first trip to the Caribbean this Dec for a MUCH needed vacation. We want to go somewhere very relaxing that also has a variety of fun activities. We're considering either a Sandals resort or Couples Swept Away in Jamaica because we like the idea of all-inclusive (don't want to have to think about anything). My concern is over what I have read about Jamaica. If I'm trying to relax on the beach, I don't want anyone trying to sell me Marijuana or braid my hair. For those of you who have been to Jamaica, did this seem to be a problem? Are the beaches at Sandals & Couples Swept Away private or are they open to the public? Any advice would be helpful.

Oct 5th, 2001, 03:54 PM
Leo

I do not know about Couples Sweptaway But we stayed at Couples Ocho Rios 2 years ago and Ciboney this past spring. We were not bothered at all at either beach or for that matter anywhere on the resort. Sandals owns Ciboney and we were so impressed we are going to Sandals Negril this year.All inclusive is the way to go. As you said "No Worries" Have Fun

Oct 5th, 2001, 03:58 PM
Kim

Dont worry while you are on the beach close to the resort nobody will bother you. We love Sandals and have been to quite a few of them in Jamaica, also been to the Sandals Royal Bahamian in Nassau, and Sandals St.Lucia Golf & Spa Resort in St.Lucia if you have any ?'s feel free to email me and ask.

Oct 5th, 2001, 07:20 PM
debra

kim

jamaica all-inclusives may be just what you need given your need for a MUCH needed, "no thought" vacation. my favorite all-inclusive anywhere is grand lido braco, but i have not been to the others you mention

the jamaican culture is a little slower than say the northeast of the us, so if a long, very slow-moving line through customs and baggage claim would affect your first impression - be forewarned...ive never had a good experience (in 4 round trips) at the airport in montego bay (coming or going). in fact, if it were not for the fact that i only take carry on's, i might have missed my flights leaving (the lines appear to be hours and hours long)...if you travel first class or with elite status, it didnt appear to be an issue...so (as recommended by the hotels & airlines) you will need to allow for this when deciding whether to sleep in on the last day of vacation!

as for crime (in my opinion,) if you stay at your resort you need not worry. employees are responsible and have a vested interest in maintaining this atmosphere. if you wander, just be sure to have a driver/guide that the resort recommends.

i have read that tourism declines have pushed up unemployment; again, doubt that would be an issue at an all-inclusive.

Oct 8th, 2001, 08:48 AM
lili

sandals in negril beach is private, so no braiders/sellers there!

Oct 9th, 2001, 12:26 PM
Penney

I can only speak for Sandals but their beaches are all private so there are no vendors about. There will be however, vendors on boats in the water at times offering braids but the resorts shoe them aways. The resorts are very private and peaceful but look carefully into the Sandals resorts. We have been to most and they are all different so depends onwhat you are looking for.

Also, the vendors off the resorts will be rather pushy to sell you items. A firm NO works well! Also, Bargin!!!!

Oct 12th, 2001, 07:56 AM
lucy

I just wanted to say that I was in Jamaica on 10/2 for a week and it was my second visit there. There we hardly any people in the airport compared to last time due to the sharp decline in travellers from the US so the crowd factor at the customs and baggage area was non existent. So if you're looking for a hassle free situation, I think travelling anywhere right now is a good time since there are less people going and the deals seem good. Have fun! Oh and I've stayed at Sandals and Beaches and there aren't any beach vendors to worry about. Sandals Negril and Beaches Grande Sport (Ciboney) are my favorites, but if you're a couple I would go to a Sandals.

Oct 15th, 2001, 11:08 AM
ohliz

Any all-inclusive hotel's beach, pretty muhc, will be private as they don't want non-guests wandering around eating and drinking for free. So no salespeople other than the ones sanctioned by the resort and they don't walk around.

I've never been delayed in the moBay airport, never, not in 7 trips. (though I've often wished for a nice long delay, say a week )

No matter where you stay I would encourage you to get out and see a bit of the island, Jamaica has so much more than beaches - lovely waterfalls, mountians, deserts, rainforests, rivers...and the peope are very nice, especially away from the tourist areas. We haven't stayed in an all-inclusive since our first trip, we really prefer to be "out".

But to each his own, there's definitely somehting to be said for pre-paying everything!
Liz

Oct 15th, 2001, 11:28 AM
K.D.

Liz:

Off the original topic, but where are the rainforests in Jamaica? Thanks.

Oct 28th, 2001, 11:47 AM
Melissa

I am a travel agent. I went to Jamaica 2 years ago on a fam trip. My absolute favorite of all the inclusives I saw, was Couples Negril. Swept Away (also owned by Couples) was very nice. Their concept is to completly Swept away, you will not find a clock and rooms do not have tv's. there is a tv room on site if you wish to watch one, but it is in a common area. If you are into sports, swept away have an olimpic size swimming pool and a fabulous fitness area. The week before we were their they had Oprah's personal trainer there for a few weeks for the guests.

Couples Negril is a separate resort and is very beautiful. I actually liked it more than Sandals.

Oct 28th, 2001, 03:01 PM
BarbaraKK

Agree with Melissa, Couples Negril is great. Have stayed at all of the Lidos and many of the Sandals and Couples OR. Found that Couples Negril was the best. Its rates make it a great value.A very relaxing resort with a cliental looking for quiet elegance.

Oct 29th, 2001, 06:51 AM
ohliz

KD:

The eastern end of the island, Port Antonio in partuicular, is in/near rainforest. That's the side of the isladn that gets weather so it can be rainy, particularly at certain times of year. It's very lush and green over there, many waterfalls.

There are some amazing villas out that way (check out Blue Lagoon villas or the villas on San San beach), Blue Lagoon itself (yes the movie one), rivers for rafting, etc. Port Antonio was actually one of the first tourist areas, back when Errol Flynn was running around and folks flew into Kingston because there was no airport in MoBay yet.

Nowadays it's quieter, not nearly as touristy as the north and west coasts.
Liz